DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

Everyboy knows that Free Mode is utter chaos. Complete anarchy. Yet when doing a mission with people everybody is on the same page without any douchebaggery.

Today I did a job with two other folks, first try we get annihilated. Second try, everybody knew what to do. And this was without mics and we pulled it off without dieing once and everybody doing their part in the job.

I think GTA V could be part of some social experiment that we not aware of yet.

• Like 1

I've occasionally ran into people who are morons during a mission, but they can be easily kicked out. Being on mics occasionally doesn't help, like when I must've tried that mission with Herby about 300 times before getting it right. We knew what to do, but doing it was another matter. I've also been on missions with randoms where my presence is completely not necesssary, as they just go destroy the mission in record time.

It's gotten a little too "social experiment" for me. I'll befriend someone when I'm feeling social then come to dread it as they stalk me with chat requests while I'm just trying to play the game solo in my own little way. Then I come to triple dread it when they drop in without being invited on a chat session while the Night Shift's trying to take care of some damn business in Freemode. Out of the way, dude, we're trying to run off everyone in the room.

I still think the sheer randomness of the human interaction is one of my favorite parts of the game. Just hang out in a room with the game chat on and you'll make some friends or enemies quickly. "Must go kill this guy who keeps talking like a little kid ..." 

But you're missing all the fun in general chat, like the rappers and the guys who try to play music and the baiters and the little kids who scream "NOOOOOOO!" every time they're about to get killed.

Even with a mic, there's very little strategizing going on in missions between strangers. Usually one guy's fussing at the others for not doing things to suit him, despite not telling anyone what to do. Generally, everyone at this point knows what needs to be done in missions.

If I didn't have a mic, though, I'd be missing out on everyone in the Late Night crew's Xbox chat room doing Foghorn Leghorn impressions as we kill people. "Get up, I say, get up, son."

• Like 1

So, Ax had an idea for a race. Fly up to the top of the Maze Bank building, (not the arena,) get out, and blow up the helicopter. Then, we all get on one of the "spikes" around the top of the building, and have an impromptu race to the top of Mount Chiliad. Ax, Havoc and I tried this out, and as we were setting up, I asked "are we allowed to kill each other during the race" because it mattered for my strategy vis-a-vis whether to get a helicopter or a plane. Ax says, "Um, sure," and as we start, Havoc immediately shoots me before I have a chance to jump.

I was perfectly fine with this, because it means instead of having to jump off the building, it meant I spawned down on the ground. I called for my Turismo and set off to the north. I then called Pegasus and made sure I had a Buzzard waiting for me at Helitours. Ax got a Buzzard as well, but he was still outside the building when he called, so he had to go south to the hospital to get it. Ax was still coming over the Vinewood Hills while I was crossing the Alamo Sea, and near as I can tell, Havoc just got in his car and drove north, so I was never seriously challenged.

What Havoc did was, parachuted over to the Hospital (where we left our cars to get the Heli), shoot me, blow up everyone else's car, and drive north. I respawned and climbed up to get my Buzzard, and... well, I managed to get into second place and fire a few rockets in his general direction. But other than that, not much. I got the idea from those races in GTA 4 online, where you start out on foot and have to find a car to race in. If we did it like that (banned telephone usage I mean) it might be better.

I just did the Quarry Deathmatch, in teams of 7 each (to begin with) for 15 minutes. Find a bush on the side of the hill, stand in it, Heavy Sniper... 21 Kills, 1 Death (he sneaked around and got me in the back with a Shotgun. Must have taken ages). We won 106-56.

Before that (days ago) I did Paintball 3 on 3. I started out Sniping, got 3 kills without dying, but then I saw the score was 6-6 (I had though we were winning). So I said time to Rambo this shit, and next time I died it was 14-8 and I was the power player. Then Cris turned up and we did it as a regular DM. I won by Combat Roll. As in, in the final seconds he was blasting me with bullets, but I combat rolled and survived to time limit. I was 25-14. He was 24-14. A winner is me. Also, he really hates Paintball. I disliked it at first, but now... how can you hate something you always win?

My go-to Gun is the Advanced Rifle - it's not as 'good' as the Combat MG, but it is silenced, and you only losr 60 rounds when you die. Last time I checked I'd got 1700+ player kills with it. Could be close to 2000 by now.

After this afternoon, I'm ready to consign deathmatches to the "stuff I only do with crew" pile. The opposing player's red dot doesn't pop up on my screen until they've already shot me dead, which makes it awfully hard to defend against them. I had this happen to me three times in one deathmatch today, where people would come from behind me and shoot me, and I'd never see it coming, despite keeping a constant watch on my map. 

No need keeping a watch on the map, 'cause there's no red dot to be seen until you're already dead. 

Plus it never freakin' fails that if you're lucky enough to have even teams, somebody leaves as soon as the match starts. Plus everyone wants me to play the damn things for 15-20 minutes with no kill limit. Plus freakin' Saving Ryan's Privates came up today. Basically, wah wah wah on deathmatches.

Edit: Aha! Figured it out, but it's a pain in the ass. I can make the map bigger, but it takes up 1/4th of the screen. I'm fairly used to it by now.

What I'm not used to: When playing deathmatches with randoms, I have to quit 9 out of 10 of them 'cause they're set up stupidly. Either they're Prison Thugz Fight or some moron is trying to get someone to play for more than 10 minutes (60 minutes sometimes, I swear) with no kill limit. I did one today for 15 minutes with no kill limit, friggin' pistols only, and I wanted to scream.

I'm formulating a "will I do this?" ratio in my head. Maybe 20 minutes or 40 kills in team, 20 in individual is my upper limit. No-kill-limit is 10 minutes, max, MAYBE 15 if we have all of our weapons and aren't locked into one particular type.

By the way, I really like the paintball one, it's one of my favorites.

But you're missing all the fun in general chat, like the rappers and the guys who try to play music and the baiters and the little kids who scream "NOOOOOOO!" every time they're about to get killed.

Even with a mic, there's very little strategizing going on in missions between strangers. Usually one guy's fussing at the others for not doing things to suit him, despite not telling anyone what to do. Generally, everyone at this point knows what needs to be done in missions.

If I didn't have a mic, though, I'd be missing out on everyone in the Late Night crew's Xbox chat room doing Foghorn Leghorn impressions as we kill people. "Get up, I say, get up, son."

I have my audio set to where other players audio go through the TV speakers. I get to hear all that. Just can't respond in kind.

Having my usual trouble sleeping and was perusing the Rockstar support forum when a writer had an idea that would seem simple for Rockstar to do and really improve the game quite a bit.

The suggestion was "no tanks" rooms. A public room with other players, but no one can call a tank. Also have "tanks OK" rooms, of course.

Someone also suggested lighting a tank up on the map like an armored car - with an oversized icon - so players would have a better shot at avoiding it.

• Like 1

I would normally be inclined to agree with that, but the last few times I've encountered a tank it's been when we're rolling 7 or 8 deep. I get so much satisfaction out of imagining the face of the dude (or Juggalette, J.T.) when he/she sees an actual army coming at them.

Best Damn Crew in the Business made me proud tonight, runnin' off that punk-ass in the dunce cap. He needs to go back to Juvenile Detention where he belongs. I wish you guys could've heard him taunting other people in the chat room. He was doing one of those roody-poo voices, not talking in his real voice, just being an asshat to everybody when I finished the business I had going and then made him my business.

First, he was in the parking garage glitch until someone else in the game equally tired of him somehow brought him out of that with a tank. I was in the glitch with him when he got nailed, but I was in passive running around like a madman trying to distract him. As soon as he got brought out of the glitch, I dived out so I could get back out on the street to commence shooting. Funny thing about that is, it's like that tank disappeared after it nailed him - I never saw it again. So he got a tank (same tank? Dunno.). Meanwhile, here comes the calvary, one by one - first MIs, then Robert, then Dolfan, then the cherry on dude's shit sundae, Melraz. RUkered then joins in the fun. You know the drill - we blow up the tank, he goes into passive. We run him over, he comes out of passive, we shoot him, he leaves. 

You can guess what happened next. "Um, attention Grand Theft Auto players, this room has become a crew-only room, please make your final purchases and leave. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here." One guy who was a Level 300-something put up a damn good fight until we got our swarm on, and one guy who was a Level 900-something was doing just some stupid, stupid crap. He had apparently never heard of the concept of "taking cover," which tends to cost you when there's six guys aiming at your head with sniper rifles in a competition to see who gets to kill you first.

So we threw them all over the top rope and won the El Gigante Memorial Trophy, but there'd be no fighting over the win of this battle royale like when that backstabbing Ricky Steamboat tried to throw Paul Jones over the top rope to win that battle royale. We're a team, a force:

DELTA ... VICTOR ... DELTA ... ROMEO

• Like 3

I like Paintball fine, (remember who won the first time you played?)

Me. You were winning by 2 after 9:30. You lost by one at 10:00. You and Havoc had pinned one another down by the toilet, so I shot both of you. Were you thinking of somebody else? The only time we've done Paintball together and you won, it was when you were part of the team Iwas carrying.

I dislike getting spawned 3 times in a row directly in front of you, with me facing away, which was the REAL reason you won that.

I won because I'm awesome. You lost because you were holding a Sniper Rifle. Seriously, I've spawned in the exact situation you did before, and gotten the kill on the guy who was in my spot. Two of those three times you'd already started running away BEFORE I'd shot you in the back. Had you stood and fought (using a non-cowardly weapon) you would have stood a better chance (with me having less than half health and all).

Speaking of cowardly weapons, I've got the LSPD tint on my Heavy Sniper now. So that's five separate guns with over 600 player kills.

Today, I finshed Coveted and spawned at Mors Mutual (as you do). Some guy put a $9000 bounty on me immediately, blew up my car before I could finish shooting him, didn't pay the insurance, but did give me the $9000. Wierdo.

Best Damn Crew in the Business made me proud tonight, runnin' off that punk-ass in the dunce cap. He needs to go back to Juvenile Detention where he belongs. I wish you guys could've heard him taunting other people in the chat room. He was doing one of those roody-poo voices, not talking in his real voice, just being an asshat to everybody when I finished the business I had going and then made him my business.

First, he was in the parking garage glitch until someone else in the game equally tired of him somehow brought him out of that with a tank. I was in the glitch with him when he got nailed, but I was in passive running around like a madman trying to distract him. As soon as he got brought out of the glitch, I dived out so I could get back out on the street to commence shooting. Funny thing about that is, it's like that tank disappeared after it nailed him - I never saw it again. So he got a tank (same tank? Dunno.). Meanwhile, here comes the calvary, one by one - first MIs, then Robert, then Dolfan, then the cherry on dude's shit sundae, Melraz. RUkered then joins in the fun. You know the drill - we blow up the tank, he goes into passive. We run him over, he comes out of passive, we shoot him, he leaves.

You can guess what happened next. "Um, attention Grand Theft Auto players, this room has become a crew-only room, please make your final purchases and leave. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here." One guy who was a Level 300-something put up a damn good fight until we got our swarm on, and one guy who was a Level 900-something was doing just some stupid, stupid crap. He had apparently never heard of the concept of "taking cover," which tends to cost you when there's six guys aiming at your head with sniper rifles in a competition to see who gets to kill you first.

So we threw them all over the top rope and won the El Gigante Memorial Trophy, but there'd be no fighting over the win of this battle royale like when that backstabbing Ricky Steamboat tried to throw Paul Jones over the top rope to win that battle royale. We're a team, a force:

DELTA ... VICTOR ... DELTA ... ROMEO

Someone go to the R* Social Club Snapmatic. I got a few shots of us ALL waiting for a Level 20 guy to leave the East side mod shop.(We proceeded to give him a warm DVDVR welcome. It involves miniguns and firehoses) Then another after we killed our 4th ambulance and saluted her burning, mangled corpse.

RIP Ambulancia IV

• Like 3

The whole sequence of pictures by different people is awesome. I had completely forgotten about six of us waiting patiently for that guy to leave the custom shop - took him forever - then I had a direct shot but missed him because Fire Chief/Tour Guide Robert had taken him out with the fire hose. Did we spare his car? 

And was it the fourth ambulance where Robert accidentally shot out one of the tires from the get go, but that failed to stop us from limping it off whatever jump we could find?

It'd be entirely too dangerous to actually do - we'd totally be cruising for a bruising - but one of these days, I'd like to start rolling up on people in a limo. I mean, that's the way the Horsemen would do it...

We were gonna roll up on that poor clod down on the beach with about four of us on top of an ambulance with miniguns blazing, but he had the common sense to leave. I just wanna leave people with memories, you know? "And then these dudes came up on top of an ambulance and started shooting at me!" I'm sure we left that guy at the custom shop with something new to talk about.

• Like 1

I saved those pictures and will link them later in the post.

God that was fun. I finally got a chance to be part of the ambulance surfing, minigun toting, helmet wearing, stunt jumping WOOO crew. Tanker trucks, ambulances, it didn't matter...they all got jumped and blown up.

My personal highlight was when we were all loaded up at the pay 'n spray, waiting on the guy to come out. I'm standing there with the minigun already spinning, and the garage door opens. I start pelting it with bullets and basically the entire party simultaneously yells "THAT'S MIS!! DON'T SHOOT IT'S MIS!!" Sorry buddy, I didn't see you go in there.

Now for the pictures - the funny thing is I see two different instances (one I'm sure of, the other I'm fairly certain) where you can see the same shot from two different perspectives. Dolfan snapped a picture at the same time I was taking a first-person shot.

Dolfan grabbed a group shot while I grabbed a selfie. It should be noted that, when the guy finally came out of the mod shop, despite us all toting miniguns, whoever was commandeering the firetruck managed to kill the guy with the water hose.

0_07_zps2841acec.jpg

0_08_zps9cf15e1b.jpg

0_09_zps49336603.jpg

Once the guy was dead, the miniguns took care of his car.

0_06_zps50b4611e.jpg

This is where I'm pretty sure Dolfan took a picture at the same time I did. It's hard to tell if I have my camera out, but it works either way.

0_0_zps3d7552da.jpg

0_03_zpsbe9ce94a.jpg

0_02_zps2d2f77d9.jpg

0_01_zpsb09e3cc4.jpg

Where we all take a moment of silence to honor the ambulance. May she have many days of maniacs riding atop her, soaring through the air and crashing into the waters in ambulance heaven. We all mourn in different ways. Stout and (Robert? You MIB dressed cats in your suits and helmets make it hard to tell) stand in silence, Mel salutes...

0_04_zps73a0c546.jpg

I hump the air.

0_05_zpsb0e2e307.jpg

• Like 3

There never seems to be a real shortage of ambulances around us. Big problem is, there never seems to be a real shortage of cops around us, either, making stealing the ambulances a little more difficult. We'll start planning that better.

I know the armored car has a roof like the ambulance but is bigger. It's quite a bit harder to steal, though. There are probably other vehicles that can support more folks, but they've gotta have a certain kind of roof.

• Like 1

The guy we took out at the LSC must've come out and wondered what the hell he had wandered into.  Six heavily armed lunatics were waiting for him.  His car got pretty shot to shit, but I put the fire out with the firetruck, and I think somebody was able to drive it off.

I got a shot of y'all doing the last ambulance jump into the ocean, but I didn't zoom in enough to get a really good picture.  I was afraid I'd miss it if I zoomed too much.  I had fun taking an 18 wheeler off the same jump, especially since the radio started playing Convoy as soon as I jacked the truck.

• Like 2

All this plus the new Mental State player statistic, which is designed to let you see just how passive or psychotically unhinged fellow players in your session really are

Uh oh Mel...

I don't know how they'll implement this, but I'm imagining the night shift will have flashing neon lights over our heads that reach to the top of the map.

Or maybe they'll have a plane constantly follow us, sky-writing messages for the rest of the map.

AVOID DIRECT CONTACT - MELRAZ HAS A SNIPER OUT, THE REST HAVE MINIGUNS. MISANTHROPE IS RECREATING DEATH RACE 2000

• Like 5

Shit imma beloved member of the gta society. I have a 100% loved rate. I'm more sane then a barrel of clown monkeys on an acid trip surfing glow worms on a rainbow.

Just call me mayor melraz the loved gentleman.

• Like 2

Multiple garages on the way too.  Now I can buy even more supercars I don't need.  At least I'll finally have room for a motorcycle/muscle car/sports classic/etc.  Maybe.

The mental state thing should be fun. Gotta agree with RUkered.  I'm guessing the night shift brotherhood's dots will be glowing like we've been vacationing in Chernobyl.  Really they ought to have melraz's "Oh Hell Yeah!" broadcast to everybody on the server when he joins.

• Like 2

Mental State: "They like riding on tops of ambulances and crashing into the ocean for fun. They respawn with three-star wanted levels. What do you think? Just go. Maybe watch something on Netflix."

Edit: I couldn't believe it when Dolfan told me about the "no contact" racing. That's hilarious. The Russian dude I did that race with is dancing the Kalinka right now at the thought of it: NO MORE PUT ME IN WALL! I WIN RACE NOW!

God, I used to race all the time when this game first came out, and I used to get SO mad at people putting me into the wall, but I started noticing a few things:

1. I'd put someone in the wall in a second if it involved getting better position, then justifying it by saying "they do it to me, dammit! It's only fair!" I eventually realized what a crappy way of thinking this was.

2. GTA is a game chock-full of pricks - I got intentionally ran over and killed in the middle of doing missions with randoms on more than one occasion today because they didn't like the way I was playing the mission - but I GUARANTEE you anyone playing any online racing game is getting put into a wall. This is the first game I've ever really played online, but I have a feeling no one plays anything nice online.

What will happen, mark my words: Someone will figure out how to re-do the NOS/speed boost hacked mod on cars, giving them an advantage over racers even in the "no contact" races. The Russian's tune will change: THEY HACK THEIR CAR, I CANNOT WIN!

Edit 2: Wonder what the RP cheating fixes will entail? I have a feeling it'll be some sort of half-measure by Rockstar designed to keep even the cheaters semi-happy. They'll bust them down to some arbitrary number like 150 and let them keep all their toys.

Does anyone know the point of being a Level 700 anyway? We were joking the other night that getting to Level 110 and getting the minigun is like turning 21 - what fun are birthdays after you turn 21? Being a Level 700 doesn't give you toys no one else has. Does it make you a better player, somehow?

We've kicked several Level 700-900 guys' teeth in, just embarassed them. We've seen some tough ones, too. I think it's got much less to do with the level and more to do with the person playing the game.

So why bother cheating to get to Level 700? One guy I was playing online with one night admitted to me (we were pretty much the same level) that he cheated to get the minigun, then stopped. All he wanted was all the weapons.

One guy on a board I just read swore he was a legit Level 420 something. Uh huh. I'm sure there are plenty of people who've played this game more than me, but I'd say I'm in the top 20 percent, if not higher, and I'm not at 200 yet. I'm close. I've upwardly revised this threshold as I keep going up, but I'd put doubt on anyone being a legit Level 300 or over.

Someone pointed out to me to check their stats - for example, one complete random dick I did a mission with tonight was a Level 700-plus. Yet his flying wasn't maxed out. He had three bars. My flying's maxed out at Level 199, and you guys know I spend very little time flying planes. Obviously, a 700-plus guy cheated, but that might be a handy way to tell if someone's "on the bubble."  

• Like 2