DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

I absolutely loved the first Moto X, probably more than any phone I've ever owned. Part of it was the "underpowered" processor that actually spit out as good or better performance than pretty much any of its contemporaries. I LOVED Moto's software tweaks with Moto Active (which I still think is much better than Google's Ambient Display) and Moto Assist. The phone was like the little engine that could. I have one with a cracked screen that I just booted up yesterday to reformat because I'm gonna recycle it at a Best Buy and the thing still flies. I was kinda heartbroken when I read that Moto was gonna do away with their software tweaks because I thought they were legitimately useful. I did root the Moto X but not for long. I just loved it stock so much it didn't matter to me.

Oneplus announced the OnePlus X to be released at $249.  It's a slick looking little phone that kind of resembles a mix between an iPhone 4 and a Nexus 5.  Looks to have decently spec'd camera and ram, has an sd card slot, but has an old processor in it (snapdragon 801) which is probably why the price is so low.  But it's a cool design especially if you like a smaller phone, it has a 5" screen.  It also has a glass back which is similar to iPhone and the Nexus 4 had one also.  I really like the design of it and the price.  Will be interesting to see how well it's reviewed once it's more available. 

I find the decision to go with the 801 the most interesting part of the device. It's a 32 bit chip, instead of getting 64 on the 617 like the A9, but you get a much better GPU. It's an interesting move. But it's not like the Galaxy S5 is majorly outdated using the same chipset, so I imagine it'll be plenty fast enough.

After looking further into it, it's not that great of an option for most in the US.  Looking at the LTE bands it supports, it doesn't support AT&Ts main LTE band and it doesn't support Tmobile band 12 either.  So def a no-go for me.  I was going to look into getting one for the wife and/or to have a backup because she beats the shit out of her phones. 

• 1 month later...

Having used my iPhone for a few months now, I'm probably gonna go back to Android for my next phone. I LOVE iMessage. That part really just works. MMS is never an issue and I actually find I have a better time sending an MMS to an Android user than when I had my Nexus. The battery life is also spectacular. If my phone is charged, I never have to worry about a charger or anything for the day, despite how long I'm out or how much I'm using my device. I can typically go two days between charges. The camera is also really good although if I had one of the Galaxy devices, it'd be a moot point. It's a nice looking phone but again, the Galaxy devices kinda negate that.

But I dislike pretty much everything else about it. I find the OS to be cumbersome and dated. Not having a universal back button is a total disaster. Let's say I screenshot something and want to share it, the options are very limited and sometimes I need to go into the specific program to share it. I don't find transitions and the like to be any more seamless than my Nexus 6.

Of course, I don't know if I can give up iMessage but I feel like the other stuff can be matched by a decent Android device. I don't think iOS suckz or anything like that, but I prefer Android in pretty much every way.

Speaking of Roku, does anybody have experience with Plex? I just got a Roku myself and found the Plex app, which allows one to stream media from their laptop/server through the Roku. I set up the Plex app and created a server and it connected to my laptop and external hard drive with all my "backups" of movies and it worked great yesterday. But then today it is not working at all and cannot find the server. Doing a little digging, I found that it is likely because my laptop crashed and rebooted, thus the IP address for the server changed and now Plex cannot find the server. I can't set a static IP for my laptop, or at least don't know how to do that, so even if I were to set up a new server on Plex, if/when my laptop reboots again, it will all be lost again. I was wonder if anybody had any ideas or workarounds for this issue. I'm not the most technical guy, so maybe it would be some easy setting in my router or something, but I don't know how to do all that. Any help would be appreciated.

I uninstalled the application on my laptop and reinstalled it and it brought everything back up just as it was. Didn't even have to re-establish the connection to the external hard drive or anything. Everything was there as it was before it crashed. Weird, but happy it's back up.

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts on the Galaxy Note pro 12.2? I'm going to have a lot of downtime coming up and wanted something to watch tv/read comics on

I have the Tab Pro 12.2. It's basically the same thing as the Note 12.2 but without the S-Pen. I *LOVE* it. It's not the fastest thing you'll ever see but it's fast. The screen is gorgeous. Honestly, my only issue is that sometimes it almost feels too big. I find myself turning my head a bit side to side when reading things and that's kind of annoying. But that's not all the time and your mileage may vary. I use mine constantly at home and have basically abandoned my desktop PC for almost all tasks. Battery life is good as well.

I would suggest looking into a refurb if you can find one. I got a refurb and it was basically brand new and cost me a LOT less than a new one would have.

Yep! A refurbed one is winging its way toward me at basically 1/2 the cost of a new one.  I like that the dimensions are exactly that of a modern comic, so when I put it in landscape mode it'll be nice and giant for my geriatric eyes.

I also discovered yesterday that I can *finally* tether my phone, so I'll be watching The Flash on the bus (when not driving, of course*.)

*company policy is that drivers should LEAVE THE VEHICLE if possible to use their phones/electronic devices, but they can read a book in the driver's seat if they're stopped at a light!

• 4 weeks later...

PSA: tomorrow is the annual Mobile World Congress from Barcelona where LG will reveal the new G5 and Samsung will present the GS7 (5.1" screen) and the GS7 Edge (~5.5" screen with part of it on the side). HTC will probably be skipping this year and will unveil the M10 in a couple of months at their own show.

Seems like most people are more excited for the G5 since the special "magic slot"/modular slot has potential to be a legit innovation. GS7 seems more like a standard upgrade with newer processor, better battery and different camera (12MP vs. the GS6/Note 5's 16MP although the GS7's individual pixels should be larger than those on the previous Samsung models which would in theory allow for far better lower light shots).

I've only had my iPhone 6S Plus so I don't think either presentation is going to get me to switch phones so fast, but if LG manages to clean up their software, they could really make a strong impression.