DVDVR Message Board

2015 NBA OFFSEASON

Cole Miner

I think the last sports video game I owned was Madden '05.

Step One: Move every team and give them new nicknames and uniforms.
Step Two: Assume control of the San Antonio Desperadoes (who were whoever was the worst team)
Step Three: Trade absolutely anyone and everyone for draft picks and get all the cap room.
Step Four: Trade those draft picks for better draft picks.

Step Five: Wait for the 30-ish first and second round draft picks to mature.
Step Six: Get free agents around the blossoming cheap talent.
Step Seven: Win four Super Bowls in a row.

Sam Hinkie obviously watched me play Madden.

• Like 2

Is there a downside for the Sixers here past the whole Stauskas might really suck thing?

Like, what happens if the Sixers don't have a better pick in those swap years? Or if Sacramento's 2018 pick falls under 10? (And that's probably going to happen.)

I mean, that's not really a downside. That's more just taking on contracts and rolling the dice that you'll get all these picks.

This is the Trade

Carl Landry
Jason Thompson
Nik Stauskas
Kings 2018 top ten protected first
Rights to switch 1st round picks with Kings in both 2017 and 2019

For

The rights to Arturas Gudaitis and Luka Mitrovic

Did... Did I read that right?  

Did Philadelphia actually win a trade? 

Heat on the verge of signing JJ Barea and on the verge of sending Mario Chalmers packing. IT'S A DOUBLE RAINBOW.

As someone who has had JJ on his team, you'll be regretting this 3 months into the season.

Heat on the verge of signing JJ Barea and on the verge of sending Mario Chalmers packing. IT'S A DOUBLE RAINBOW.

As someone who has had JJ on his team, you'll be regretting this 3 months into the season.

As someone who has had JJ on his team, you could be loving this 3 months into the season.

The Bucks are now the weirdest team in the NBA. They were already a good League Pass team because of Giannis alone. Now they have a total set of weirdo fits AND arguably the best uniforms/logo in the league. They're now my favorite 6-seed.

The Bucks will be the ones overpaying Monroe.

My prediction a few months ago about the Lakers big offseason move would be miraculously keeping their pick is becoming a reality. :)

I wasn't a big fan of Monroe coming to LA. This has been a weird free agent period because the best fits for the Lakers are guys who are in their primes (30'ish) or restricted free agents and none of those guys were really coming here. Seems like a waste of time if a 30-yr-old signed with a Laker roster that's best players are in the 19-22 yr old range (w/ only 1 'kinda' proven and the others questionable) and still have Kobe's contract taking up 1/3rd of the cap. Not to mention how big of an improvement the Lakers would have to have from last season to next to even be considered a playoff team. They'd have to have a 25-27 game improvement and I don't think anyone in FA (beside Lebron who only became a FA to get that extra $$$) added to what LA has already signed would be enough. Might actually be a better gamble to let the ping-pong balls play out and see if they get a top 3 pick again.

Lakers should view this like the post-Magic era. They even had the albatross contract on the roster back then with Worthy. They should jump in on some of the salary dump deals if there's any draft picks included.

this cracks me up...

Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_NBA 4m4 minutes ago

Huge bursts of excitement from Milwaukee front office people today. They know what it means to beat out NY and LA.

Its Greg Monroe...I know its a perception thing, but knowing Lakers and Knicks fans and the NY/LA media, the same group complaining about missing out on Greg Monroe right now would complain about Greg Monroe during the season.

Playing for losers does weird things to players. After Jabari went down and the Bucks still made the playoffs, it made me into a  Jason Kidd believer. I think he will get the best out of Monroe and they will look like winners in the deal. 

Robin Lopez up to bat next...

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA 1m1 minute ago

Sources: With New York losing out on Greg Monroe, the process of the Knicks working to close on deal with Robin Lopez will gain momentum.

They signed Afflalo earlier. Knicks probably going to make their moves before Mavs & Lakers can get to their Plan Zs in FA.

I'm curious to see what happens to the Mavs if they miss out on Aldridge and Jordan?

Playing for losers does weird things to players. After Jabari went down and the Bucks still made the playoffs, it made me into a  Jason Kidd believer. I think he will get the best out of Monroe and they will look like winners in the deal. 

I'm bullish on the Bucks because they seem to have a clear plan and identity that really fits in with where the league is going.  They're a team that is going to attack ball-handlers, switch on screens, and try to force teams into bad shots.  The offense could still use some work (someone on twitter joked that the Bucks are the Warriors if the Warriors shot 10% from 3) but it's getting there.  Adding Parker and his shooting should help spread the floor for MCW and Giannis to attack the basket.

I have zero idea what to make of the Bucks roster. I think it's pretty clear that Kidd is a good coach, but that is a problematic group of players to play at the same time. Also, between Giannis, MCW, and Monroe, they might have my three of my five least favorite players in the NBA from a basketball standpoint. I find everything they do on a court so aesthetically displeasing.

this cracks me up...

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 4m4 minutes ago

Huge bursts of excitement from Milwaukee front office people today. They know what it means to beat out NY and LA.

Its Greg Monroe...I know its a perception thing, but knowing Lakers and Knicks fans and the NY/LA media, the same group complaining about missing out on Greg Monroe right now would complain about Greg Monroe during the season.

You expect sports writers to be happy then lose out on a go to twice weekly column that all they have to change is opponent and a few stats

this cracks me up...

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 4m4 minutes ago

You expect sports writers to be happy then lose out on a go to twice weekly column that all they have to change is opponent and a few stats

No I don't. "doom and gloom" columns always get more views/hits/etc. Just look at the L.A. Times. Simers & Plaschke made quite the living on sports "doom and gloom" articles.

Monta not going to the Kings! :(

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine 7m7 minutes ago

ESPN sources say Monta Ellis and Indiana Pacers have agreed on a four-year, $44 million with an option to return to free agency after Year 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEN6ad_Aw-M

This is Grantland's behind-the-scenes look at Sacramento's draft room last year. Vivek makes everyone in the room chant "NIK ROCKS!" into a speakerphone after the pick. Everyone has on their best "Yes Man!" face but their eyes belie the truth: They all know they're working for an absolute goof, but one who will fire them with the change of a breeze.

We done gone from talking about Aldridge, Jordan, Monroe, Love, to talking Wayne Ellington in LA! In what 3 days?  Ellington was a pretty good role player last season, thought some team would go crazy and give him a Jodie Meeks-level deal.

Also...

Ramona Shelburne @ramonashelburne 1m1 minute ago

If Lakers miss on their top three FA targets, they're more likely to pursue David Lee in a trade than revisit Boogie talks

I wouldn't have a problem with this. He can't be any worse than Boozer.....or can he? :) Deal for him, re-sign Ed Davis. Go with a small ball lineup.