DVDVR Message Board

Dolfan in NYC

I usually just stick to the tournament but I'm not working much, so I have extra time and I've been checking out as much college ball as possible. It's been a real blast and while I don't have a team to get behind, just familiarizing myself with teams prior to the tournament has been engaging enough for me. That UNC/Duke game from a few weeks ago that went to OT was one of the better basketball games I've seen this season. I've watched 4 Kentucky beatdowns and I don't see how anybody could beat them. They're so polished and complete. If they go all the way, how does this team stack up with Knight's Hoosiers from '76? I thought Arkansas would give them a decent test after seeing the Razorbacks beat Texas A&M but Kentucky smacked them around.

Anyway, I'm super psyched for both the DVDVR incarnation and the real version of March Madness. This'll be the first time I check out the conference tournaments. What's set up to be the most interesting tourny?

In the Raleigh-Durham area it's been speculated for awhile that this is what led to Sulaimon's dismissal, but a lot of the facts hadn't come out yet.  If this is true, I feel terrible for the women involved.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2015/03/02/rasheed-sulaimon-center-sexual-assault-allegations-prior-dismissal#.VPSUf_nF8Xy

Separate allegations of sexual assault by Sulaimon came from two female students in the 2013-14 academic year. Both students voiced allegations publicly, but neither filed a complaint through the Office of Student Conduct or took legal action through the Durham Police Department. The students declined to discuss their allegations with The Chronicle.  

In October 2013, a female student said in a large group session at the student-led diversity retreat Common Ground that Sulaimon had sexually assaulted her, three retreat participants said. At the following semester's Common Ground retreat beginning in February 2014, a second female student said she had been sexually assaulted by Sulaimon, according to four retreat participants

Jim Boeheim will be suspended for 9 games... next season.  Also, the Cuse will lose 3 scholarships for the next 3 years.

I got confused when I read the explanation

The Palestra is the only reason you need.

With Wizzu and Murray losing this could be a really bad week for the bubble teams, especially if the hated Redbirds win the Valley today.

Poor poor William & Mary

St. Francis (NY) has its chance tonight to get off the list of original Division I teams to never make the tournament

The St. Francis game tonight could have one of the more insane atmospheres. They gym seats about 900 people without any broadcasters.

The game's in Sioux City, which is about 30 minutes from SDSU's campus. They had over 10K last night for The Battle Of South Dakota. That crowd might be nuts.

I hate, hate, HATE when any of the non-BCS schools have their tournaments at off-campus sites. The A-10 is probably the most consistent mid-major conference there is. Their tournament has been at the Barclay's Center the past few years. The first round games are played in front of maybe 1,000 people. There's no way anyone makes money off of this.

Manhattan/Iona was a good game last night played in front of not a lot of people in Albany. Iona could have done some damage in the tournament. Having the one seed in that type of tournament gives no advantage whatsoever, save for one bye.

Tournament finals at the highest remaining seed is the way to go!

Tabe's going to be in here soon to tell you conference tournaments should be abolished. :)

To be fair, I sort of agree with him. There's no way these smaller conference tournaments are making them any money, and outside of the perceived benefit of getting the tournament final aired on ESPN, there's too much to lose by sending someone other than their best team to the dance.

Of course, I also believe the Big East Tournament is the greatest thing ever, so I am conflicted on the issue.

It makes sense for the big conferences. They draw a ton attendance wise. And, not just that, you also usually have a bunch of bubble teams in the mix. You essentially have play-in games before a play-in game in some cases, and doing that on a neutral floor makes some sense in terms of fairness.

I can sort of see an argument for geography purposes. La Salle plays UMass in their first game in the A-10s. The winner then gets Davidson. If my "all local gym" vision was true, then La Salle would have to travel to Amherst and then to North Carolina. There's no way to do that in back-to-back days.

The old A-10 format was the best. All the early round games were held at The Palestra. Then the championship game was held at the home court of the highest remaining seed two days later.

All the Big Sky Conference games are at Montana's gym. Montana was the number one seed. I don't know if the site was pre-determined at the start of the year or not. But if so, that's a fair system. The travel in that conference is completely insane. But the number one seed hosting the entire thing gives them a decent advantage.

Just going by the A-10, since I know that best, it'd be really hard for the smaller schools to host every game. I can't even imagine what the logistics nightmare would be like if St. Bonaventure's in Olean, NY had to host the thing.

Maybe the Ivy League format is what's best. The best team wins the whole thing every year. Or maybe a 1 vs. 2 game (or the top four teams) would be great, too.

Wild SWAC brawl between Southern and Texas Southern leads to... *Howard Finkel voice* "...A DOUBLE DISQUALIFICATION!"

http://youtu.be/k0vlg1oqxio

Both teams forfeit the game and 15 players were suspended. Texas Southern (the erstwhile #1 seed) will not play in the conference tournament and Southern (the #2 seed) will have to play it with SIX available players. Yikes.

• Like 1

Got a $7 ticket on StubHub for the Big East curtain jerker day tomorrow (Seton Hall vs Marquette, DePaul vs Creighton). You will probably be able to count the number of people left in the stands at the start of that second game.

Saw Princeton's women's team beat UPenn to go 30-0 for the regular season. They're currently projecting as a 5 seed in most bracketology things I'm seeing. That's a really big deal because if you're a 4 or above, you get to host the pod.

• Like 1