DVDVR Message Board

2014 NCAAF: Conference Championships

Dolfan in NYC

This why it should have been a top 8

Not really. There are really only 5 teams with an argument to be in. The only reason OSU is being talked about is because the Big 12 situation is a mess and they're a simpler solution (and talking about Ohio State is good for business). We don't need to go to 8 teams just because 1 team with a legitimate argument is going to have their panties in a wad afterwards.

I can accept Ohio St getting in if the committee punishes the Big 12 for being giant pussies and declaring co-champions of the conference when Baylor beat TCU.

Ohio State had a good win but to me that loss to V-Tech keeps them out

It should be who the fucks knows with this shitty committee.

Briles apparently had some harsh words for the Big XII commish during the trophy presentation, thinking - perhaps rightly - that his insistence on one two true champion(s) will probably keep Baylor out of the playoffs. And probably TCU also. Choosing Ohio State gives the committee the chance to avoid the debacle altogether. (I think it should be TCU personally, but I don't think that will happen.) The question then is, how quickly does the Big XII scramble to add another two teams, so they can get a title game?

Who is out there for them to add? BYU? Colorado State? Boise State?

Someone was talking about a new by-law coming in that would allow a 10 team league to host a title game if they wanted to. I'm sure if Baylor and TCU had a rematch, whoever won it would be in the top 4 by a wide margin over Ohio State.

Bottom line, you lose at home by TWO TOUCHDOWNS to a dogshit Virginia Tech team (the same team that played Wake Forest to a regulation time scoreless draw, then lost in overtime), you aren't one of the top four teams in the nation. They showed tonight that it doesn't matter if the quarterback is making his first start, so why are people trying to excuse the VT loss because it was the backup's first start?

Here we go:

This should have been a 6-8 team playoff. I said this the minute they mentioned it. This is a million times better than the BCS but I prefer that we figure out the champs on the field, not a board room. There's 5 power conferences and 4 spots. It is better that they can choose 4 instead of 2 but this playoff should be no higher than 8 and should at least be 6.

Oregon should have never been #2. The PAC-12 wasn't very good and Arizona's best wins were over Oregon, Utah and Arizona State.

TCU shouldn't have jumped FSU. I understand why they did but it just created problems.

Baylor beat TCU and since there is no B12 champ, Baylor gets the jump for me.

Now we're down to 5.

I'm no OSU fan but they've survived everything thrown at them and put out a great performance this week. They won their conference title. They also beat a ranked team on their way to it while TCU didn't.

OSU also had the better schedule of Baylor and TCU, so again, I put them ahead.

I think Oregon is a bit overhyped. Their best win was over an Arizona team that was overhyped in a weak PAC-12. I never thought they were #2 from the start but Mariota really helped their ranking. Them being ranked too high created some of this mess.

FSU went undefeated but their schedule was weak and they've looked vulnerable all year, including tonight. They keep slipping through and while it's great for them, it doesn't give me a ton of faith in them. Mark my words that they won't win it all. They will get slaughtered by Bama. To quote Lou Holtz, "I don't think they're a top 4 team but they haven't lost". It just feels wrong if a undefeated team doesn't make the playoff, especially since they won last year.

Alabama undoubtedly won the hardest conference and may be my #1 due to luck and the other teams not having a strong case. At worst they would be #2 for me.

So I'm going:
Alabama

Oregon

OSU

FSU

I also want to add in that Miss State losing crucial games really changed the playoff more than anything else. Miss State would almost unquestionably be in my top 4 had they beat Ole Miss and any other year, they probably would have made it into this playoff.

Funny thing, has FSU won any game convincingly this season?

I can see why TCU and OSU jump them if the committee is influenced by this weekend's blowouts.

It won't happen, but that would be hilarious. Honestly, does anyone here really think FSU is one of the best four? Put them against Baylor in the "pissed to be here" bowl, the winner of which will get a replica WWE title belt. 

Sorry for the shoddy C-n-P. I'm lazy and didn't feel like typing it all out. This is FSU's record for this season. For anyone wanting to debate how strong or weak their schedule and margin of victory was.

Sat, Aug 30 1-0 (0-0) Sat, Sept 6 2-0 (0-0) Sat, Sept 20 3-0 (1-0) Sat, Sept 27 4-0 (2-0) Sat, Oct 4 5-0 (3-0) Sat, Oct 11 6-0 (4-0) Sat, Oct 18 7-0 (4-0) Thu, Oct 30 8-0 (5-0) Sat, Nov 8 9-0 (6-0) Sat, Nov 15 10-0 (7-0) Sat, Nov 22 11-0 (8-0) Sat, Nov 29 12-0 (8-0) Sat, Dec 6 13-0 (8-0)

FSU went undefeated in a major conference, and played three other major conference teams in non-league games. You go 13-0 with a schedule like that, and I believe it's safe to say they are a top four team.

Funny thing, has FSU won any game convincingly this season?

I can see why TCU and OSU jump them if the committee is influenced by this weekend's blowouts.

Wake Forest. They are the only team in all of college football to play 12 Big 5 conferences teams plus Notre Dame. They should be a slam dunk for the Final Four.

I think we'll just agree to disagree. I don't think the Baylor win over TCU should matter given that it was a home game for Baylor, TCU had some terrible calls go against them and TCU also has a better resume.

Kinda like ND did when they played FSU.
If you're referring to the pass interference at the end, that was 100% the right call.

I still forever maintain it should be an insane 16 team tourney with every conference champion getting in, filling out the field with the best non champs from the power five, and having the higher seeds host the first two rounds at home.

I still forever maintain it should be an insane 16 team tourney with every conference champion getting in, filling out the field with the best non champs from the power five, and having the higher seeds host the first two rounds at home.

It will for certain become an 8 team playoff  in a few years. 16 will be a harder hill to climb but eventually it will probably go there in 10-20 years. Faster if the Power 5 say Fuck the NCAA and governor themselves.

Florida State's not going anywhere. The committee would be insane to leave the only undefeated team out of the playoff, regardless of how ugly they've been winning.

That leaves TCU and Ohio State to go with FSU, Alabama, and Oregon. I don't see any way Baylor jumps both Ohio State and TCU after they both won this weekend.

The Buckeyes have seven victories over FBS teams with winning records:

Navy (6-5 going into the Army game, which they should win)

Cincinnati (9-3)

Maryland (7-5)

Rutgers (7-5)

Michigan State (10-2)

Minnesota (8-4)

Wisconsin (10-3)

They also went into the conference championship game with their third quarterback and dropped 59 on a team that came in with a top 10 defense and allows 20 points/game.

TCU has four victories over teams with winning records:

Minnesota (8-4)

Oklahoma (8-4)

West Virginia (7-5)

Kansas State (9-3)

Their one common opponent was Minnesota. Ohio State beat Minnesota by 7 (31-24) in Minnesota. TCU beat Minnesota by 23 (30-7) in Waco.

Yes, Ohio State has the loss to a shitty Virginia Tech team. But their win over Michigan State in East Lansing might be more impressive than any win that TCU put up this year.

I've been pulling for TCU to get into the playoff this whole time, to be sure. But after the performance that Ohio State put up last night, I absolutely wouldn't be surprised to see them jump TCU and get into the playoff.

Either way, somebody's going to be pissed off. . .and, in the end, isn't that what we're all really hoping for?

As a Boise St. fan I wholeheartedly support this idea. I get that the Mountain West isn't a well respected conference, but winning is winning and year after year that's what Boise does. Giving teams from the smaller conferences a shot in the playoffs will only help college football. And in the case of a team like Boise they've proven repeatedly that they can hang with and beat teams from the big conferences, and I would never be surprised by a Boise team doing well in the playoffs, knocking out a heavy favorite, or even winning the whole thing.