DVDVR Message Board

2014-2015 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Colorado State has tabbed Georgia OC Mike Bobo to replace Jim McElwain. That's a weird one.

It appears to be a done deal that Pitt will hire Pat Narduzzi, which is probably the biggest possible splash hire they could make.

Michigan overpaying Harbaugh at least twice what he's worth may be the most modern-era Michigany thing ever.

I wonder after two years if the fans are going to be crying for a refund on Harbaugh or if they are going to go full-fledged Nebraska and silently admit that their glory years are gone for good.

Michigan overpaying Harbaugh at least twice what he's worth may be the most modern-era Michigany thing ever.

I wonder after two years if the fans are going to be crying for a refund on Harbaugh or if they are going to go full-fledged Nebraska and silently admit that their glory years are gone for good.

I bet you could go back to January 2007 and find the exact same sentiment being expressed regarding Saban to Bama. (Shit, I'm sure Neal McCready's infamous "Alabama Has Been Passed" article is archived somehwere.) I think that's worked out okay.

Harbaugh has won everywhere he's been. I can't imagine why people would think things will go any differently at Michigan.

Really? Stanford wasn't all that great until Harbaugh's last season with the team and he had Andrew Luck as his QB. I'm sure he'll find success at some point, but Michigan is probably at the same point Stanford was when Harbaugh became their HC.

Come on, man. Stanford was on a run of 5 straight losing seasons before Harbaugh got there, and had 7 or 8 out of 10 losing seasons at that point. That's a substantially different situation than Michigan finishing a game under .500. He built Stanford up from nothing. Whatever Michigan's problems are, they're all significantly less severe than "being Stanford."

And he was clearly a winner right from the start there. In his first year, he took a 40-point dog into Top 5 USC's homefield and won. In 2009, the breakthrough year, he beat Oregon and USC (the infamous "What's your deal?" game). I think he also beat a little team you might know of, effectively ending their run of dominance in the series.

I think you also have to give him a lot of credit for the success Stanford had after he left, as they were clearly just following the template he created and utilizing the players he recruited.

In regard to Michigan's record vs Stanford's record when Harbaugh took over, I was about to say "Well, the B10 is a lot different than the PAC 12." I suppose in that regard, Harbaugh might have an easier go of it. 

Duke Johnson declared himself eligible for the NFL draft over the weekend.   His mother allegedly posted this on Facebook, saying the players would transfer out if the NCAA wouldn't make them sit out a year because of the horrible coaching situation:

10881709_10152754416463153_6716753092618

Really? Stanford wasn't all that great until Harbaugh's last season with the team and he had Andrew Luck as his QB. I'm sure he'll find success at some point, but Michigan is probably at the same point Stanford was when Harbaugh became their HC.

Stanford was 1-11 and losing by an average of 21 points every week the year before he got there. Four years later, they're 12-1 with the best QB in college football and the program is now one of the best in the country. And that's with really tough admissions standards.

Michigan is a .500 team that's had several top 20 recruiting classes, a gigantic national following, and easier admissions. There's absolutely no reason to think Harbaugh will not be successful.

And, really, anybody diminishing the success that Harbaugh has had at all three coaching stops is delusional. Outside of his first two years at Stanford, when he led Stanford to the biggest upset (in terms of the spread) in college football history, he averaged 10 wins a year. In the NFL, he averaged 11 wins a year and damn near won a Super Bowl. The guy can coach. Period.

• Like 1

Well, that would be true, regardless of what his name was or how much he's getting paid.

And those numbers are substantially less than the $8 million a year figure that everyone was up in arms about. $5-5.5 mil with bonuses is exactly what you would expect to pay a coach of his caliber in today's market.

Iowa pays Ferentz 5 a year to do fuck all.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Harbaugh will do well with Michigan.  I'm glad Craig is on this board so I don't have to go all the way to South Bend to hear delusional ND fans.

Harbaugh will do well with Michigan.  I'm glad Craig is on this board so I don't have to go all the way to South Bend to hear delusional ND fans.

How am I delusional? There are no guarantees. I'm not saying the guy will flame out. I even said he'll probably have an easier go of it in Ann Arbor than he did at Stanford. That said, there's still work to be done, Michigan St. and Ohio State aren't going away, and the natives out that way do get restless pretty quick. As long as Michigan doesn't drop any losses to FCS teams, he'll be fine.

The Braxton Miller Sweepstakes will be an interesting story to watch in the coming months. Oregon and FSU have been the prominent teams mentioned, but there's also mutual interest between Miller and Alabama.

Apparently, he took a physical with Alabama's team doctor on the down low in New Orleans last week.

Hm.