DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

RIPPA

Thunderbolts was the comic that held the line when the rest of Marvel became horrifically shitty, ground level, and decompressed. 

I think that the only two marketable versions are the worst two ones though. 

I have high hopes for Al Ewing's New Avengers. I think it'll feel similar. 

So which two would you consider the worst, then?

Plenty of guys left over from Agents of SHIELD. Creel, Blackout, Blizzard, the teased but never realized Graviton.

Or they could go the Suicide Squad route and just introduce characters out of whole cloth.

Let's see, after Civil War, they should have Zemo, Crossbones, Klaw, uh... Whiplash? Shit, I think everyone else is dead. Or Loki.

The Abominahahahahaha! Noooo ... no, no ...

• Like 1

What? Why's it funny? Considering they had to compact his entire origin into one movie AND somehow explain why he was being played by a Brit, I thought The Incredible Hulk's version of The Abomination was pretty good. No, the CGI wasn't the best ever; but they've never gotten the Hulk himself completely right either.

Justin Hammer and "The Mandarin" would be fun comic relief for a villain team. And if the MCU can use Spider-man now, does that mean they've got the movie rights to all his villains too? Throw in someone wearing an alien symbiote suit and someone riding a Goblin glider, and we're already halfway there.

And yeah, these movies do have a pretty awful trend of killing too many villains. Why did that shit become standard practice, anyway? Just because the earlier Batman movies started a trend, that doesn't mean EVERYONE has to jump onboard.

Plenty of guys left over from Agents of SHIELD. Creel, Blackout, Blizzard, the teased but never realized Graviton.

Or they could go the Suicide Squad route and just introduce characters out of whole cloth.

Suicide Squad isn't Thunderbolts.  There's been no actual Graviton yet.  There hasn't even really been Blizzard yet. So that just leaves Creel.

Let's see, after Civil War, they should have Zemo, Crossbones, Klaw, uh... Whiplash? Shit, I think everyone else is dead. Or Loki.

Given all the heat Tim Roth took for that awful FIFA movie, I don't think he's really in a position to refuse an offer at a weekly comic book TV series right now.

Suicide Squad isn't Thunderbolts.  There's been no actual Graviton yet.  There hasn't even really been Blizzard yet. So that just leaves Creel.

How was there no real Blizzard?

How was there no real Blizzard?

Because he's not Blizzard.  Not like say Deathlok is now Deathlok.

I don't think he was referred to as Blizzard (yet), but he did use his powers on the ship (HYDRA agent mind controlled him to do it) and his status is unknown, so I think you can say Donald Gill would be in consideration if they wanted to go that route.

I don't think he was referred to as Blizzard (yet), but he did use his powers on the ship (HYDRA agent mind controlled him to do it) and his status is unknown, so I think you can say Donald Gill would be in consideration if they wanted to go that route.

Again, that's not really enough to establish him as a former known villain of the MCU to bring over to the Thunderbolts.

And like I said, they don't have to be "known" (to us) villains. Tons of people on "the index" were let out by Ward and Garrett. Presumably, they're just roaming around. Not too hard to imagine the government giving some choice ones pardons to round up anti-regs after Civil War.

But there I go again, remembering Agents of SHIELD. ^_^

It's moot anyway, since the Thunderbolts rumor was pretty clearly pulled out of someone's ass. But it could work, pretty easily.

Yeah, it was 89 Batman that started the "Villians die" thing, but...these are comic books on film. No one stays dead in comics. Shit, most of my entire life Bucky was on the list of "always dead" with Uncle Ben.

And Aunt May has died at least three times.

And yeah, these movies do have a pretty awful trend of killing too many villains. Why did that shit become standard practice, anyway? Just because the earlier Batman movies started a trend, that doesn't mean EVERYONE has to jump onboard.

It's not so much that Batman started the trend, it's more a matter that they chose to conform to action-movie standards where the villain ALWAYS dies. I remember reading a decent column a while ago, though I can't remember where or by whom, kind of talking about how from a Hollywood POV it always made more sense than keeping them alive jut to come back, UNTIL the shared-universe thing kicked in.  Because if Batman's having one adventure every 3-4 years, it complicates things more than it solves to have the Joker still on the table.  I'd rather see fewer dead villains myself (and I think they spared the wrong villain in nearly every movie that kills one and saves one) but I can at least understand how they reach that conclusion.

Batman also has luxury of a super deep rogues gallery, so you could do at least 4-5 movies with recognizable villains without repitition.

Wherea, with Supes, you have to go back to the Luthor well unless you want to do Zod or bizarro or brainiac.

• Like 1

Forward planning. If you never do conventions, when you start doing them everyone assumes you're washed up and can't get a gig any more. Whereas if you've been doing them all along (or do them as early as possible, stop doing them when you're "too busy", and then go back when the money dries up), nobody thinks you're a hoity-toity 'too good to be here' snobby twat.

Also, screen actors envy rockstars and their legions of screaming fans. And conventions (or premieres the way Tom Cruise does them) are the closest way to approximate that.

• Like 1