DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2014-15 Regular Season - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

It's the Twitteriest thing in the history of Twitter. Kobe using the phrase "Mamba Army" is only less insufferable than the the people who would identify as members.

That these people exists boggles my mind. The people who chant MVP at Kobe during road games are truly bizarre. I don't think I've ever met one Kobe fan, actually.

The David Blatt bus-throwing has begun in Cleveland.  I eagerly await the inevitable, anonymously-sourced Woj hit piece.

I'm not the biggest basketball fan in the world(I mainly follow off the court stuff), so I don't know how good a coach Blatt is or isn't. But having a player(no matter how great) as your defacto GM is a BAD idea. Not sure how to translate that into action, but the inmate(s) are running the asylum there. . . .

Blatt is the least of their problems.  Having your star player completely disregard him and show him now respect is the bigger problem.  Having too many cooks in the kitchen is the bigger problem.  Having two guys on the whole team that can play defense(one of whom is nearing 40) is a bigger problem.

The sources are already talking.  From the ESPN.com article:

Whispers about the lack of attention that various Cavs players are paying to Blatt during some timeout huddles, as well as their apparent preference to communicate with Cavs assistant and former NBA player Tyronn Lue, have been in circulation for weeks. And (LeBron) James acknowledged recently that he did not formally request permission to assume the bulk of the Cavs' playmaking duties, which triggered Cleveland's eight-game winning streak earlier this month.

I think Blatt is in over his head.  He took the job thinking he'd have a chance to grow into it.  Which isn't a smart approach even with a young team.  Throw in the league's best player who's in win now mode, and Blatt was in trouble even before the season began.  At this point, LeBron is player/de-facto coach/GM.  And he clearly didn't sign on for the coaching part. Truthfully, Blatt would fare worse with most other superstars.  MJ would have punched him, and Kobe would have released unholy hell, Mamba style. I'm only half-joking on that.

As Brian said, something has to change.  I don't think LeBron is specifically looking to get Blatt fired.  But he hasn't warmed up to the guy for whatever reason, and Blatt has given him no reason to believe things will get better. Blatt doesn't have the support system of say, Erik Spoelstra. If he can't get LeBron on his side soon, him being the least of their problems simply won't matter.

The entire Cleveland culture right now seems poisonous. Lebron and his cronies are essentially running the show right now, a luxury they weren't afforded in Miami. Cleveland has an owner who can't say shit to Lebron ever again, a GM that, based on everything I've read, is a puppet, and a coach that is a dead man walking. It's amazing how bad Lebron's eye for talent is, it may be worse than Jordan's, at least as a player anyway.

This entire thing so far seems like a textbook example of that Wilde quote "there are two tragedies in life; not getting what you want - and getting it."

The only way this can end is Kevin Love realizing he doesn't want to be a 3rd wheel and bolting in the offseason to Los Angeles.

Lowe hinted at discord on his last podcast. He said Blatt hasn't installed his offense at all and there were murmurs during LeBron's free agency that he wanted to have an offense where he played point (like his early run) as opposed to the post like Miami.

If Lebron understands talent fine then maybe he lets personal relationships cloud his judgment. Everyone cited the Heat dumping Miller and Joel Anthony as reasons for him leaving when they were way overpaid for what they provided and were damn near useless 95% of the time. Then he was desperate to get Miller's crippled ass on the Cavs along with the rest of a bench that was widely regarded as horrible. If he's not a poor talent evaluator then he needs to stop letting his relationships make it seem that way.

I don't think there is any question Lebron was desperate to get out of the post, I don't think he ever wanted to be there to begin with. I think it's a big reason why he slimmed down so much, maybe he figured if he shows up looking like he starved himself then they won't play him there because he'd be physically incapable. But then again I'd be stunned if Blatt could get Lebron to do anything he didn't want to do.

If Lebron understands talent fine then maybe he lets personal relationships cloud his judgment. Everyone cited the Heat dumping Miller and Joel Anthony as reasons for him leaving when they were way overpaid for what they provided and were damn near useless 95% of the time. Then he was desperate to get Miller's crippled ass on the Cavs along with the rest of a bench that was widely regarded as horrible. If he's not a poor talent evaluator then he needs to stop letting his relationships make it seem that way.

Whoa.  It's not that serious.  *backs out of thread*

The biggest issue is what was mentioned above, the GM and Gilbert.  They have no balls, so they are going to be yes men to Lebron at this point.  Blatt obviously had no idea he'd be coaching LBJ when he took the job, and thought he'd be dealing with a bunch of youngsters.  That scenario would probably be about as successful as the real life one is right now.  If the office gave a shit about the team, they'd have already said "listen to what the fucking coach says".  You think a front office like San Antonio or Dallas would put up with that shit?

You think a front office like San Antonio or Dallas would put up with that shit?

The difference is those teams have coaches that command respect, but also have proven themselves time and again.  The front offices are just there mostly for the financial aspect, as the coaches have things under control. And besides, does anyone think Pop needs backup?