DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

SWEET CRAP!

After reading that you're baically telling me that...

The reason why the MU imultiverse is dying is because Doom i killing every version of the Beyonder he can find in order to save it?

Yeah I know that's really not it exactly but no I'm going ot hav to buy every damn trade of Hickman's MU stuff

James

Well...

"The site of one of the Illuminati’s earliest Incursion field trips, Doom manages to salvage a fragment of the destroyed other-Earth. Employing his scientific resources as well as other regular Fantastic Four villain, the Mad Thinker, Doom begins to reverse-engineer the larger pattern.

His investigations lead him to the Molecule Man, an old school nigh-omnipotent wacko whose particular power frequency coincidentally operates on the same wavelength as the beacon fragment. Wanting to know why that is, Doom confronts him. Instead, the Molecule Man whisks the two of them away into the recurring backdrop of blank multiversal nothingspace.

The reason why all of this is happening is that the Beyonders have inserted the Molecule Man as a singular being split equally among all alternate realities. Once in place throughout all of the multiverse, they plan on using him as a detonator to simultaneously wipe out all of existence. Why? Why not? 

Fighting against this destiny, the Molecule Man implores Doom to traverse the multiverse and destroy him in all of his incarnations before the Beyonders are able to pull the trigger. Apparently once Doom begins racking up a big enough body count, the Incursions begin.

Looking to expedite the task and expand his grasp, Doom also takes the Molecule Man’s advice to build the mythos of “The Great Destroyer” into the religious figure of Rabum Alal. Bringing more and more Black Swans under his guidance, his followers swell in number and elevate his legend. None of his Swans ever lay eyes on him- his closest attended blinded."

James, Let me sum that up using your own words.

The reason why the MU multiverse is dying is because Doom is killing every version of the Molecule Man, who is a bomb placed throughout the multiverse to destroy all live, he can find in order to save it?

So I'm not that far off the mark. Yeah I totally meant MM and not the Beyonder. In the heat of reading all that my mind was just so insanely blown away

This is the most ambitious story since Cerebus it seems

James

The one thing that review of Hickman's work doesn't mention by name in FF is the idea that Franklin and Val just barely made it through the "Grand Revision" in the future, before they arrive to save the day in the present.

That was what he called it: the "Grand Revision" Or the "Revision Wave." you know, something.

so I think that's what's coming.

The one thing that review of Hickman's work doesn't mention by name in FF is the idea that Franklin and Val just barely made it through the "Grand Revision" in the future, before they arrive to save the day in the present.

That was what he called it: the "Grand Revision" Or the "Revision Wave." you know, something.

so I think that's what's coming.

There was a rumor on Bleeding Cool that after Secret Wars

that Reed & Sue are in mourning from the loss of their children.   SO most likely Val & Franklin have something to do with sacrificing themselves to get the MU back

The Amazing Spider-Man: Spider-Verse #9-15. Spiders from other worlds are getting killed by a family called the Inheritors which include Morlun who consume their life force. Spiders from different Earths go to Spider-Man to stop them.

Its fun finding our Spider interact with alternate versions. I enjoyed the return on Ben Reilly’s Spider-Man. There are two standout Spiders. The first is the Superior Spider-Man whose exchanges made me chuckle and has two great fights against our Spider-Man with their history. Through the story, SpOck learns what will happen to him as we know but seems to have an out to stop this. I wonder the play as I’m a big fan of the SSM. The second Spider is Spider-Gwen who I feel will be the most fondly remembered thing from this event. As a fan of Kaine Parker, the Scarlet Spider, I enjoyed his big moment. The use of Ultimate Spider-Man from the cartoon series is funny. Dan Slott deserves credit there considering I’m not a fan of the show at all. The epilogue issue, #15 is a better job at ending the story than #14 as originally that was supposed to be the final one.

Silk continues to be annoying as a smart ass, randy, disobedient, written to be one of the three most important Spiders of the plot and rescues Peter again. Slott’s creation, Silk’s push since debut in The Amazing Spider-Man (2014) #1 to this is forced unlike J. Michael Straczynski’s character, Morlun’s debut in The Amazing Spider-Man: Coming Home, TASM (Vol. 2) #30-35. The latter was better handled. There are a lot of tieins, you’ll get a box saying check this out in a separate title, you feel like you’re missing out on more time given to character/characters. I only bought two (Spider-Verse: Team-Up #1-2). The event is samey, Spiders chased by Inheritors with fights along the way. The writing makes our Spidey very stupid for not remembering an Inheritors weakness till the story demands. I don’t like how two Spiders I like are killed. I found one out in TASM (2014) #13 where the actual killing happened in a tiein and the second with the great work Christopher Yost has done by the character. #14 is so rushed.

Overall I liked most of Spider-Verse.

I tried reading Amazing post-Superior, but really couldn't find myself terribly interested beyond the first issue. What I hear of Spider-verse doesn't sound too good either.

If youre a multiverse nerd, its fun. Otherwise, it could be A slog.

I tried reading Amazing post-Superior, but really couldn't find myself terribly interested beyond the first issue.

This is coming from somebody who has read all of Dan Slott’s Spider-Man stories from the start of Big Time with The Amazing Spider-Man #648 to the present day, liking the majority of them and rates Dan as one of the best ever Spider-Man writers…I’m thinking about dropping The Amazing Spider-Man.

Since the book returned in 2014: TASM #1-6, Spider-Man/Silk vs. Black Cat/Electro and jumping ahead to TASM #16-18, attack on Parker Industries are two of Slott’s worst Spidey stories. The only recent story I enjoyed without complaint is The Superior Spider-Man #32-33, Superior Spider-Man in 2099. I liked most of The Amazing Spider-Man: Learning to Crawl set in Spider-Man’s early days, the Spider-Man/Ms. Marvel team-up in TASM #7-8 and Spider-Verse, TASM #9-15 but have faults with them. As you can see, its hit and miss for me and unlike nearly all Slott’s run I’ve read from the library, I’ve paid for all these and it adds up when you don’t enjoy them as you once did. Last Saturday I spoke to the owner of a comic book shop where I live (shame he’s moving to somewhere it’s harder to reach) and said sales of the book has dropped dramatically for him since Superior Spider-Man ended.

I’ll be buying the first issue of The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows at least. If I jump off, I’ll jump back on if there’s positive word of mouth. Knowing my luck that shall happen while I’m away. My first choice to replace Dan? Christopher Yost please. 

What I hear of Spider-verse doesn't sound too good either.

Spider-Verse is mostly good with faults. Just don't go in expecting Dan Slott's best event comics like Spider-Island and The Superior Spider-Man. Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman is a must read I previously reviewed. Do pick that up. I'd also recommend:

Spider-Verse Team-Up #1. The first story by Christos Gage has Old Man Spider-Man and Spider-Ham recruiting Ben Reilly’s Spider-Man to face the Inheritors. I enjoyed this funny story mainly seeing Ben Reilly’s Spidey again for the first time in ages that I enjoyed growing up. The second story has Six-Armed Spider-Man and Spider-Noir looking for another world’s Peter Parker. I liked this story written by Roger Stern for the interaction between the two Spidey’s, how they contrast and how that realities Peter and his family get a happy ending. A really good issue.

Spider-Verse Team-Up #2. The first story written by Christos Gage features Miles Morales Spider-Man and Ultimate Spidey from TV on the lookout for the 1960s cartoon Spider-Man. The second story by Gerry Conway sees Spider-Gwen and a Goblin from a different world. I was in two minds about buying this because while I really like the 1960s Spider-Man cartoon, Spider-Gwen and Gerry Conway, I really don’t like the Ultimate Spider-Man TV show. I’m glad I bought the issue as the first story is a fun tribute to one of the two Spider-Men cartoons I grew up on and the second with the history between Peter Parker/Gwen Stacy by the writer who killed her.

Almost done with Superior. Now that New Mutants goes all the way to 40 I may finally make an effort on it, but I need a new big project given that most of the shit I want to read (80s Avengers and WCA, Quasar, 90s GotG) is conspicuously absent.

Finished DeFalco's Spider-girl run, and a couple of other miscellaneous MC2 minis (Avengers Next & American Dream). Both minis were decent though Avengers Next might have been just a tad short the way it didn't really wrap up American Dream's subplot with her questioning her leading of team and the value of team itself. The whole Clone/April/Mayhem saga was enjoyable though I think they DeFalco should have offered up a few brighter points for April's character. Also thought he overpowered Silvio for the gang war. Wasn't the biggest fan of his writing of the Punisher.  I do like that the whole arc ended up being May biggest failure in the series. Enjoyed this overall though I still can't help but be curious to see someone new write Mayday and the MC2. I always find DeFalco lacking a bit on the creative side and dialogue. Still this was probably one of the stronger stories during his run.

Also just read Uncanny X-men #38 today. This might be my favorite issue in Bendis' X-men run. Its very cathartic, and I like where Bendis goes with the new students and Dazzler by the end. Hopefully someone picks up the threads and does something good with them, but who knows with Secret Wars and the way Marvel runs things in general.

The Amazing Spider-Man (2014) #16-18. In the main story companies are competing for the rights to a prison contract including Parker Industries and Alchemax who pays Ghost to attack Parker Industries. The main story is weak. I only liked Anna Maria Marconi and Clayton Cole getting two big moments though at the expense of Peter Parker who needs help as Peter and Spidey. I don’t care about Parker Industries as it’s relatively new and is a poor redo of Horizon Labs. In the short story Black Cat sets out to reclaim goods she stole but lost after SpOck left her for the cops. I criticize the short story shortening the main one as average as that is, it’s better than this one. I’ve said before I’m open to changes of character if well done like Dick Grayson as Batman under Grant Morrison/Scott Snyder, Otto Octavius Superior Spider-Man by Dan Slott/Christopher Yost and the Winter Soldier/Bucky as Captain America from Ed Brubaker. The same really can’t be said of Slott’s Black Cat. The third part of the Black Cat stealing back her possessions and something else goes so against previous stances just like that.

The two most notable things come from replies in the letters page saying “Superior Spider-Man is done”. Hope that’s BS. The other is promoting Secret Wars: Spider-Verse, Secret Wars: Spider-Island and Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows. I’ll certainly pick up the latter, maybe the other two.