DVDVR Message Board

FERGUSON, MISSOURI

Niners Fan in CT

Grantland is out there.

Rembert Browne@rembert 2h

They said it suddenly got "unpeaceful." I was in the first two rows. Didn't see that shit. Only heard stuff suddenly firing off.

Sounds about right.

"WARNING: YOU ARE ABOUT TO BECOME UNPEACEFUL."

Because no politician not currently stuck in this clusterfuck wants any blame for the inevitable worsening of the situation between a pissed-off community and a bunch of Barney Fifes armed like Marines.

If you're asking why politicians are putting their careers ahead of public safety, welcome to America, enjoy your stay.

• Like 1

Lousy thing is that this sort of police incident is nothing new for this area:  There's just a bigger response and more media coverage this time around.  My hometown of Belleville IL got a 60 Minutes expose on police racism back in the '90s.

That video is on repeat on MSNBC right now. No sound, but otherwise the same. Looks like the national media is finally catching the fuck up.

It took what... four days?  This is why I can't fuck with our press anymore. It's pretty sad that I have to turn to twitter and overseas news to get the story on what's going on in our own fucking backyard.

To be fair, MSNBC has been covering it for a few days now, at least on Maddow.  Definitely since Tuesday, I think since Monday.

That doesn't excuse the rest of the media, of course.

And...  Jesus what a clusterfuck.  Racists cops, quite possibly a cold blooded murder disguised as police work, peaceful protests, and the cops siege the fucking town.  Yeah.

When I worked at an area radio station, I ran the board for Lizz Brown's morning show for a little while.  She was on the Maddow show last night to talk about the whole situation.

I feel like this topic should have its own separate thread, but that may be a recipe for disaster.  Props to everyone for keeping it civil so far.

Veteran reactions to Ferguson: What the fuck are you doing edition.  https://storify.com/AthertonKD/veterans-on-ferguson

"The general consensus here: if this is militarization, it's the shittiest, least-trained, least professional military in the world, using weapons far beyond what they need, or what the military would use when doing crowd control."

Choice quotes:

"In the USAF, we did crowd control and riot training every year. Lesson 1: Your mere presence has the potential to escalate the situation."

"A few people have pointed it out, but our ROE regarding who we could point weapons at in Afghanistan was more restrictive than cops in MO."

"FWIW I led foot patrols in downtown Baquba, #Iraq in 2005-06 w/less firepower than #Ferguson PD (excl fire spt) @CaptainAwwsum @AthertonKD"

ATTENTION

Since it's becoming unavoidable in the Fuck You thread, I'm moving it here. At least until Rippa smacks me in the face and tells me I did wrong.

The SECOND you all go into personal attacks, and that includes party baiting(Liberals are shitty whiners, Conservatives are racists) I'm shutting this mother down.

Discuss specifically the events going on in Ferguson, with pertinent links to information so that we can better understand what the hell is happening out there. 

SUPER ZERO TOLERANCE NO STRIKE POLICY ZONE

• Like 1

Let's not forget that on the first night of this, the protestors did burn a QuikTrip to the ground. So I don't blame cops that are scared for their own safety. Doesn't excuse all their tactics here though.

To be fair, in his own words the police chief said that the destruction was done by "outsiders" and even so..  A couple stores are looted a few days ago and this is the response to all of the peaceful protests? They were suited up with assault rifles pointed at women and children dancing in broad daylight...

Let's not forget that on the first night of this, the protestors did burn a QuikTrip to the ground. So I don't blame cops that are scared for their own safety. Doesn't excuse all their tactics here though.

To be fair, in his own words the police chief said that the destruction was done by "outsiders" and even so.. A couple stores are looted a few days ago and this is the response to all of the peaceful protests? They were suited up with assault rifles pointed at women and children dancing in broad daylight...

I still don't know what the hell he meant by "outsiders", but yeah. You're right. I'm just saying I got a buddy who's a cop that got sent to the area on that first night and they were scared shitless and rightfully so. But now? No excuse for this.

So from the events I saw last night on the live streams the events basically went

• There was a very peaceful protest and the police were lined up down the street with weapons trained on the protesters.
  • Someone, no one seems to know who, threw a "molotov cocktail" on to a car wash near where the police were.
  • This allowed the police to declare that the protest was no longer peaceful and that the people should disperse.
  • About 200 people remained and were told repeatedly to get out and any people recording were told to stop recording. A couple of "final warning were given"
  • The police used a tactical siren to fuck up everyone's hearing.
  • The protesters put there hands in the air and told the police they were not violent.
  • The police fired rubber bullets flash bangs, and tear gas on them and into people's yards, as this was a residential street.

It was pitiful. Any one else with information to add to that?

Outsiders or not, that side didn't do themselves any favors.  Now, regardless of legal process, there are legitimate safety concerns with regards to releasing the name of the cop in question.  Anonymous is being a double-edged sword in that regard as well.

Christ, they're arresting people willy nilly and suspending due process?

This is such a fucking clusterfuck.  That this can happen is just... frightening isn't the word.

Christ, they're arresting people willy nilly and suspending due process?

No names or badge numbers given, no charges filled, releasing people at random..... 

TEAR-GASSING A STATE SENATOR.  That sounds absurd to say, but this clip is from a press conference BEFORE last night's chaos.

http://youtu.be/6_Y7dHrmb08

This is beyond fucked.

Yep and to add to what's already been said..  I was watching the live feed when the car wash got lit on fire. It happened AFTER police were firing off tear gas and rubber bullets. It's right on video and probably kicking around YouTube.

Also, it appears that the name of the officer may have been exposed over Twitter and the man is quickly erasing his social media accounts, etc..  It seems to add up BUT I will not bring that here. I don't think this forum is the right place for that kind of speculation.