DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: KOTA IBUSHI

RIPPA

I met Kota Ibushi when ROH came to Detroit when he and Austin Aries worked the Briscoes.. 

Dude is not afraid to die for your amusement and he is cooler than a mother fucker.  As nice of a human being as there ever will be that genuinely appreciates fans.

Also handsome as hell.  Do not bring your significant other around this cat.  Ring rats of all races, creeds, and colors were throwing themselves at his feet in droves.

I think it was that El Generico match where Ibushi was beaten into my heart.  What is the Budokan story?

On one of the big DDT shows a few years ago - He was told not to jump off the second floor. He didn't listen and did a moonsault from the 2nd floor. That got him banned.

It hasn't really been an issue since New Japan and DDT don't run the building anymore

On one of the big DDT shows a few years ago - He was told not to jump off the second floor. He didn't listen and did a moonsault from the 2nd floor. That got him banned.

It hasn't really been an issue since New Japan and DDT don't run the building anymore

He did a standing corkscrew moonsault plancha out into the audience and took an unprotected Jay Driller onto a chair in the ROH show.

Sounds like he wants to travel around by cripple scooter by the time he is fourty.

Is it fair to say that "really fun above-average spot monkey" is an accurate summation of his talents? Like a next-gen Taka Michinoku, except with even less regard for his own body. He did pull the best matches outta Davey Richards that I've ever seen, so he's got that going for him.

The first match of his I saw was when he wrestled Red in ROH way back when.  Red landed right on his face for the finish and they showed a closeup of Ibushi's face that was all swollen and whatnot. 

He's only gotten better since then and is one of those wrestlers who makes insane movez look easy.

The first match of his I saw was when he wrestled Red in ROH way back when.  Red landed right on his face for the finish and they showed a closeup of Ibushi's face that was all swollen and whatnot. 

He's only gotten better since then and is one of those wrestlers who makes insane movez look easy.

I think you're confusing Kota Ibushi with Ikuto Hidaka.

I find Ibushi to be an entirely frustrating watch who puts the emphasis on physical ability above any sort of mental acumen.  

In other words, he wrestles like a moron.  

Or someone JR would call the 'best pure athlete in the game".

Dude doesn't have three brain cells to rub together when it comes to wrestling and shouldn't be encouraged.

Ibushi is my dude. That Nakamura match from the 2013 G1 is one of my favorite Japanese matches of the last decade.

I was mad a hell when he didn't make the G1 this year because that Ibushi/Tanahashi match would have been vicious.

But, I understand why most of DVDVR gets mad at him because he doesn't have much logic in his matches. Someone could be working on his legs for an entire match and he will just end up doing his usual flying stuff as usual.

He needs to slow down. He should utilize that karate background a little more heavy and stop the pointless flying as much.

• 4 months later...

I figured I'd bump this:

After realizing that Kota Ibushi is working the Tokyo Dome.  Here's footage of him and Michael Nakazawa having a fight at my college, Stevens Institute of Technology at an Anime Festival that had Peelander-Z performing.  It's a long way to the top....

vs Shinsuke Nakamura

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLHbbg4We2o

vs Prince Devitt

vs Kenny Omega

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRMLZLODKo8

w/Katsunhiko Nakajima vs Eddie Edwards & Ricky Marvin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvC1bXCUA-A

w/Naomichi Marufuji vs The Briscoe Brothers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJcgLIfyiI8

I have seen a few Ibushi matches since ROH and he is only as good as the opposition that reels him in.  He definitely works within the traditional framework where the heel calls the spots.  He seems kinda lost in some matches where he is not in the role of upstart babyface.