DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

I'm actually quite enjoying the Shenmue anime. As someone who holds the games very dear to him, I think they have absolutely knocked this show out of the park so far.  Great job of capturing even the tiny parts of the game, but in an efficient, TV  sort of way.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 6:15 AM, RandomAct said:

I'm actually quite enjoying the Shenmue anime. As someone who holds the games very dear to him, I think they have absolutely knocked this show out of the park so far.  Great job of capturing even the tiny parts of the game, but in an efficient, TV  sort of way.

They've remained close to the core story so far.  I like how they even foreshadow Ryo's job as a forklift driver in the intro.

I hated the forklift races.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Eivion said:

With many shows I figure its only a matter of time like Spice and Wolf getting another season after so damn long. The one I'm really waiting on/hoping for is No Game No Life.

They did a prequel movie for No Game No Life, so I figure it's only a matter of time before some more gets made. 

On 2/28/2022 at 3:23 AM, RandomAct said:

Shenmue actually spent the bulk of an episode around Ryo driving the forklift, and I couldn't be more in love.

How are they going to end the story when the game series' story is still far from over?

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

How are they going to end the story when the game series' story is still far from over?

Any theoretical season 2 is going to follow Shenmue III, of course, but after that it certainly gets dicey. I've seen some people suggest that they use the anime to finish the story, but Yu Suzuki seems opposed to that. I'm not sure he could get away with doing another Kickstarter for Shenmue IV, given the tepid reaction the last game got.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandomAct said:

Any theoretical season 2 is going to follow Shenmue III, of course, but after that it certainly gets dicey. I've seen some people suggest that they use the anime to finish the story, but Yu Suzuki seems opposed to that. I'm not sure he could get away with doing another Kickstarter for Shenmue IV, given the tepid reaction the last game got.

Is he even going to try to make Shenmue IV? Or at least try to fix Shenmue 3?

2 hours ago, RandomAct said:

You see he makes these comments, but wasn't the overhaul of the combat system in the third game a way to make it "easier" for new players, and it ended up backfiring? The third game also had that hunger system and all those unskippable cutscenes when you are just randomly wandering around the open world.

I think if he's serious about directing a new game, he should maybe try playing a couple modern open-world-ish type RPG games not to emulate them, but to at least get a frame of reference with like RDR2, TW3, Ghosts of Tsushima, etc.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

I think if he's serious about directing a new game, he should maybe try playing a couple modern open-world-ish type RPG games not to emulate them, but to at least get a frame of reference with like RDR2, TW3, Ghosts of Tsushima, etc.

I don't think he's serious about directing a new game.  They may as well keep telling the story through the animated series.  At least that way game fans will have closure.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

I'm at the point now where I just want the story to be completed in any fashion. It's been 23 years.

*laughs in A Song of Ice and Fire readers*

That's a big money's paw right there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Love the anime capturing Ryo being absolutely oblivious to cute girls throwing themselves at him. I didn't like Shenmue 2 as much as the first game, but the anime so far is doing a good job of making the Hong Kong part of the story more interesting.

• Like 2

With only a superficial knowledge of the Shenmue games, I do like the anime series. I find it oddly colorful and offbeat. Kind of like an anime version of Coen Brothers. I like that it's set in the 1980s. Plus, with all the RPG fetch quests Ryo is performing, those types of fetch quest stories work better in a TV format.

The show does feel similar to the Yakuza games as well, so I can see why fans of the Shenmue series would also love Yakuza.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

Not sure if White Fox is doing animation again. We'll see. 

12 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Looks like the new season of Golden Kamuy starts in October. I'm not crazy about a new team taking over production on this, but I'm so engaged with the show, I know I'll still enjoy it.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-03-27/golden-kamuy-anime-video-reveals-october-premiere-for-4th-season/.184078

Love Golden Kamuy, so glad it's continuing.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm not digging further back than 3 pages and the fact that I only noticed through a fucking ad (partly my fault since the emails got ate by my promotional filter), but it looks like they're pulling the trigger on merging Funi and CR.  Basically once the Spring Season is over, Funi's no longer simulcasting and putting up new stuff and all their exclusive back stuff is moving to CR.  CR now has pretty much everything new that Sentai doesn't from here on out.  

The more annoying issue with that is not moving any of the watchlists or watched history over so you kinda have to do it yourself.

As an aside, Amazon went and put up some 80's movies that used to be the "mindblowing stuff" that we got in the US in the 90's with the "Not for Kids" labeled VHS tapes.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

For Kamen Rider fans, Kamen Rider FUUTO PI debuts in August and will be streaming on Crunchyroll. My understanding is that it's a canonical sequel to Kamen Rider W. 

700d3bc1e15c0afdc1338dbd557928e716515604

Show everyone should be watching right now: SPY x FAMILY

Other shows I'm watching that I'm enjoying:

Skeleton Knight in Another World

The World of Otome Games Is Tough for Mobs

Don't Hurt Me My Healer!

Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie

Love After World Domination

For fans of Super Sentai, Love After World of Domination is basically a Super Sentai/RomCom mashup. The leader of a Super Sentai group falls in love with one of the minions for the evil bad guy army and they start a secret relationship.

• Like 1