DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

• 2 weeks later...

For fans of the Berserk manga, my understanding based on this tweet is that Young Animal is publishing Miura's last finished chapter of the series, Ch. 364 in September. And also a tribute booklet called "Messages to Miura" is going to be released later. Hopefully it gets a US or English release as well.

I watched Akira for the first time in decades after recently finishing the manga. The manga obviously has a lot more depth to it since it's over 2000 pages long, but the film is an excellent adaptation. I was impressed with how well the animation held up. The direction is superb and the backgrounds are gorgeous. They basically string the beginning and the ending of the manga together. The personal relationships aren't as strong as they are in the manga with the exception of Kaneda and Tetsuo, and there are a number of characters who are cut from the movie completely, but the biggest difference is that the titular character, Akira, is barely featured in the movie at all. The ending to the manga is drawn out and more detailed, however you still get the general gist of it in the movie. I'm glad I watched the film again and regard it as a nice companion piece to the manga series.

Bebop holds up remarkably well for its age. Amazing what really engaging characters and a tight story can do. I'm passing any judgement on Live ction until I watch the first episode in November.

James

• Like 3

On 8/23/2021 at 8:25 AM, ohtani's jacket said:

I finished Cowboy Bebop yesterday (better late than never!) Phenomenal show. The ending left me in tears.

God, the live action better both keep "See You Space Cowboy..." for that whole ending sequence and do it justice.

And it better just get the Seatbelts to just redo "Tank!" and "Real Folk Blues" for the op/cl or there's going to be a revolt.

9 hours ago, Raziel said:

God, the live action better both keep "See You Space Cowboy..." for that whole ending sequence and do it justice.

And it better just get the Seatbelts to just redo "Tank!" and "Real Folk Blues" for the op/cl or there's going to be a revolt.

Have faith in Kanno that if she does something new it will be inspired and worth it

James

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 11:01 AM, J.H. said:

Bebop holds up remarkably well for its age. Amazing what really engaging characters and a tight story can do. I'm passing any judgement on Live ction until I watch the first episode in November

When I watch movies like Blade Runner 2049, play games like Cyberpunk 2077, or watch television shows like Altered Carbon, it doesn't feel like Cowboy Bebob has aged at all.  I feel that hard sci-fi adventure entertainment has finally started catching up with Bebob.  It is more thematically relevant than ever.

As for the live action, Cho and Shakir seem to rep Spike and Jet pretty well but I am sorry, Danielle Pineda is not juicy enough to be Faye Valentine.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...