DVDVR Message Board

UFC 175: Weidman vs. Machida (7/5/2014) - Las Vegas, NV (Mandalay Bay Events Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Really? Ronda is so far more athletic then these other girls... It's not even close. I guess Sara McMann could match her there, but calling Ronda the best figher in the world is insane to me. Specially with people like Jones out there. 

I mean about the whole division sucking.  Sure she is way more athletic than most of her competition, but she's been an athlete all her life and competed at the Olympic level.  I don't think she's unbeatable though because IMHO no one in the sport is truly unbeatable.

As far as notoriety goes, she is the most famous female combat sport fighter there has ever been. Not even a contest. Whether her competition is even close to being up to snuff compared to what her contemporaries had to deal with is extremely debatable. Laila Ali could've been a marketable star at the height of the TVKO/HBO PPV excess, but people saw through that facade really quickly. She was 170+ pounds fighting women whose best years came at 140 and below. It was highly embarrassing for the sport. In the same vain as Laila, Ronda does what she is suppose to do. It isn't as embarrassing as Laila's ordeal because Rousey is way more charismatic. Rousey vs. random girl #43455 is way more sellable than Cyborg vs. random girl #43455. That's the breaks of the entertainment side of sports. I saw an article the other day in Tatame online about Rousey saying she could submit any girl gi/no-gi and how some of the best women grapplers responded. I mean I been hounding this point since day 1 of Rouseymania. As long as the best grapplers stay on the other side of the cage as spectators, it's a moot point about the competition. Alexis Davis is a good MMA fighter. Alexis Davis is a good grappler. Alexis Davis ain't Beatriz Mesquita. Alexis Davis ain't Hannette Staack. Alexis Davis ain't Luana Alzuguir. Alexis Davis ain't even Penny Thomas. So yeah, once Ronda grabbed her, Davis had no chance to win the fight. Holm and Carano most likely will get the same exact treatment. But we can't blame Rousey for that. You can only fight who they line up in front of you. The same applies for Cyborg too.

• Like 1

Beatriz Mesquita. Hannette Staack. Luana Alzuguir. Penny Thomas

I want to see Rousey vs. these chicks in a gauntlet. 

It would be more entertaining and competitive than all her fights combined.

So are we saying that a fighter's greatness can only be evaluated based on how good their competition is?  What if they're just that much better than their competition?  Rousey is heads and shoulders better than everyone in the division, but couldn't that just mean she is at a level that basically no other woman alive has ever reached?  She has basically been doing this since she was a toddler, how many fighters male or female have as much experience as her training and fighting against elite competition?  The rest of the women in the UFC are flawed, but they've been fighting for 5-10 years tops.  They're fighting against a woman who has been fighting her entire life, they can't match up with her because no one should be able to match up with her. Is there a single male MMA fighter who has basically been raised as a fighter since birth like Rousey?  I know there are boxers like Floyd Mayweather who have been fighting since they were children, but MMA is a little too new for that.

I don't think that Anderson Silva or especially GSP get the same type of backlash that Rousey gets.  GSP fought a murderers row of contenders and made all of them look like amateurs, and Silva was about as undeniable as a MMA fighter gets. 

Guest Edwin

Is there a single male MMA fighter who has basically been raised as a fighter since birth like Rousey?

A ton.

Is there a single male MMA fighter who has basically been raised as a fighter since birth like Rousey?

A ton.

Are you talking about guys who wrestled since kids, because I think that is a little different. Machida and the Gracies are probably the closest I can think of, but apparently Rousey's mom trained her to fight since she was a very small child.  Weren't there stories of her mother sneaking behind her and putting her in chokes and armbars just to make sure she was ready to defend herself at all times?  My point is more that Rousey is an extremely special example of someone who is not only supremely talented, and an elite athlete, but everyone is playing catch up with her based on how she was brought up.  I'm sure there are dudes who have done martial arts since they were children, but how many of their parents decided that they were going to be fighters from birth?

I thought we were talking about best fighter in the world.  As in pound for pound.  In that case I don't think your competition is that big of a deal.  Rousey is great but she's not among the very top in the pound for pound conversation in my opinion because of the flaws in her game.  What she does she's absolutely phenomenal at but she has weaknesses in her striking and they're not small.  It just happens to be that there isn't any competition at the moment who can exploit it. 

Part of me wonders if Ronda would give the Olympics another shot.

She could, but it would be the same as Warren trying for the Olympics again. Show up at the trials/World Championships and get housed. Not worth it for the time spent off.

Plus, she isn't getting a gold (silver or bronze either) medal. She has been training for and fighting girls who know diddly-poo (a Jim Mora Sr. trademark) about judo. Training with Marina Shafir everyday isn't going to keep you at world level.

• Like 1

A ton.

Are you talking about guys who wrestled since kids, because I think that is a little different. Machida and the Gracies are probably the closest I can think of, but apparently Rousey's mom trained her to fight since she was a very small child.  Weren't there stories of her mother sneaking behind her and putting her in chokes and armbars just to make sure she was ready to defend herself at all times?  My point is more that Rousey is an extremely special example of someone who is not only supremely talented, and an elite athlete, but everyone is playing catch up with her based on how she was brought up.  I'm sure there are dudes who have done martial arts since they were children, but how many of their parents decided that they were going to be fighters from birth?

Stephen Thompson was trained in karate at age 3 by his dad.  That is all I've got.

I bought it at the last minute because I was really interested in the Weidman/Machida style matchup and it's the first one I've bought in a long time. But if you're just a casual fan and there running an event on TV the next night...

Meltzer said this show might have done 500,000 buys, which makes it the biggest UFC show this year.  In other news, this year is going to be rough for the UFC PPVs.

That is 100x what the Glory show did.

They actually did pretty good ratings for the prelims (1M), and the prelims (700k) and main card (1M) for the TUF Finale on Sunday. Surprised the finale did so well, considering how awful the season was.

BJ Penn vs. Frankie Edgar III is still a pretty good FS1 main event. Both guys are still big enough names to draw a TV audience. It would have bombed as a PPV main event though. I'm sure there was curiosity about Penn's 145 debut as well.

• Like 1