DVDVR Message Board

UFC 175: Weidman vs. Machida (7/5/2014) - Las Vegas, NV (Mandalay Bay Events Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Nice of Machida to show up...in the fourth round.  WTF?

I have to agree with Breen on this. That was the bodywork from earlier slowing Weidman down. Weidman did some good work to body as well. 

Regardless, Machida's in what the 7th year of his UFC career?  He should know fights are judged per round by now.  

Weidman showed he can countered off the left hand though (until he ran out of gas in the 4th). The key to Machida winning was sticking in the center of the cage. The only thing he did wrong really is stay with the high kick when it wasn't working really. Weidman's footwork is really underrated and controlling the distance ultimately won him the fight. Once Weidman stopped throwing the right hand though, Machida was able to spam left hands all day. That's Vitor only hope to beat Weidman, IMO.

The only round I thought was solidly Machida was round 4.  A couple of them were close though.

A decision didn't surprise me just because of the way Machida fights.  I was very impressed with Weidman figuring out a way to deal with Machida's style, but he did get very reckless toward the end.  But yes, Machida's biggest weapon is also sometimes can also be one of his biggest problems because here while Weidman was tagging him and taking control of the Octagon while Machida was being too patient and waiting to pick his shots.  

Not saying Machida is a terrible fighter.  He's got a very tricky, elusive style.  And that's great because a ton of fighters have no idea how to deal with it.  But if a guy can deal with that, then he has a ton of problems.  Even in the post-fight press conference Machida said he should've been more aggressive in the second round, which IMHO was a close round until Weidman got the takedown and the shots on the ground and then the knees.  Sorry but that's on Machida.

Wondering about the judge who scored it 49-45 for Weidman.  That means he scored a round 10-8 for Weidman, right?  There's no such thing as a 9-9 round in a 10 point must system?

There are 10-10 rounds.  A 9-9 round can happen if someone loses a point I guess.  I guess he scored 10-8 round three for Weidman?  Which might be a stretch, but whatever.

Scoring 30-27 for Russell Doane was disgusting.

EDIT:

Chris Lee scored round 3 10-8 for Weidman.

I had Machida with rounds 1, 4 and 5. Weidman threw a lot but he missed regularly and Machida figured out the counters.

Really?  1 seemed all Weidman to me.  Was controlling the cage and he tagged Machida more than once.

I also don't see how you can give round 5 to Machida. He had that nice flurry at the end of the round but that seemed like Wiedman was hitting him at will and grounded him as well. 

• Like 1

Between the Newell war on the WSOF show, Faber on the prelims, Hall's toe, Struve being taken off the card, and Ronda not only squashing Alexis Davis, but doing so with the phantom cam capturing everything in glorious slow motion, this was a hell of a memorable day for MMA.

• Like 1

Machida had the right game plan it's just that Weidman's chin was too good and full speed Weidman was too fast in the first three rounds. I think with a lot of guys, what Machida was doing in the first few rounds with those body shots would have taken their toll sooner. But it was just a round too late for Machida. Was impressed with how Weidman came out in the last round after what happened in the fourth. Scoring any round other than the fourth for Machida seems way off.

• Like 2