DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: BOBBY EATON

RIPPA

Edit: Did I miss a new health update on Bobby? I knew he'd been really sick with diabetes complication in January.

Yeah.  Meltzer had him in the Superstar Graham near death posse in the Here & There for like two months.  

Supposedly, he got out of the hospital, his heart is better and diabetes somewhat under control and was supposed to go to rehab as well.

He did a fanfest appearance at Mania weekend and people say he looks much better.

Yes. As i mentioned above, i saw him (and briefly talked to him) at the mid-south fan fest and he seemed thinner and was moving around okay and i heard JC mentioned how much better he looked.

Bobby is only tangentially in this clip, but is at the center of the angle...

The Blue Bloods feel like a team that should've accomplished a lot more.  I don't even remember a Blue Bloods explode moment between Eaton and Regal.  Seems like Regal got sidetracked with Finlay while Eaton and Dave Taylor ended up feuding over Taylor's treatment of Chives the butler.

I don't know if they aired on WCW TV or were just available on Eaton's shoot interview but they did these vignettes where they toured Hollywood and Regal points out the spot where Hugh Grant got arrested for hooking up with a prostitute and Eaton asks him if he can borrow some money and they can come back later when it's dark.  Then they go to the spot of the OJ murders and while Regal is talking about the downfall of society or something, Eaton reaches into the bushes and pulls out a giant knife and his eyes get huge and he looks around and throws it back in and Regal asks him if he found something and Eaton says nope.

I've never seen any of this and have no clue what was taped, but here's what I can find of him from New Japan. Spoilered for length. It is hard to tell if anything in 1993 would have been any good since he was saddled with Tony Halme for an entire tour, but the two I find from 1995 could have been alright.

1    NJPW Explosion Tour 1993 - Day 2
1993/05/26 @ Omiya Skate Center in Saitama, Saitama (Japan)
Bobby Eaton and Tony Halme defeated Hiroshi Hase and Keiji Muto
2    NJPW Explosion Tour 1993 - Day 3
1993/05/27 @ Prefectural Gymnasium in Fukushima, Fukushima (Japan)
Bobby Eaton and Tony Halme defeated Riki Choshu and Takayuki Iizuka
3    NJPW Explosion Tour 1993 - Day 4
1993/05/28 @ Korakuen Hall in Tokyo, Tokyo (Japan)
Keiji Muto and Masahiro Chono defeated Bobby Eaton and Tony Halme
4    NJPW Explosion Tour 1993 - Day 5
1993/05/29 @ Civic Gymnasium in Shizuoka, Shizuoka (Japan)
Bobby Eaton and Tony Halme defeated Masa Saito and Takayuki Iizuka
5    NJPW Explosion Tour 1993 - Day 6
1993/05/30 @ Tama, Tokyo (Japan)
Hiroshi Hase, Masa Saito, Shinya Hashimoto and Tatsumi Fujinami defeated Bobby Eaton, Hiro Saito, Super Strong Machine and Tony Halme
6    NJPW Explosion Tour 1993 - Day 7
1993/06/01 @ Kochi Prefectural Gymnasium in Kochi, Kochi (Japan)
Bobby Eaton and Tony Halme defeated Akira Nogami and Keiji Muto
7    NJPW Explosion Tour 1993 - Day 8
1993/06/02 @ General Gymnasium in Takamatsu, Kagawa (Japan)
Bobby Eaton and Tony Halme defeated Hiroshi Hase and Masa Saito
8    NJPW Explosion Tour 1993 - Day 9
1993/06/03 @ Region Plaza in Mihara, Hiroshima (Japan)
Bobby Eaton and Tony Halme defeated Manabu Nakanishi and Masa Saito
9    NJPW Explosion Tour 1993 - Day 10
1993/06/05 @ City Gymnasium in Tsu, Mie (Japan)
Bobby Eaton and Tony Halme defeated Masahiro Chono and Takayuki Iizuka (9:53 minutes)
10    NJPW Explosion Tour 1993 - Day 11
1993/06/06 @ Vehicle Industrie Gymnasium in Yamato, Kanagawa (Japan)
Bobby Eaton and Tony Halme defeated Akira Nogami and Masa Saito
11    NJPW Explosion Tour 1993 - Day 12
1993/06/08 @ City Gymnasium in Hamamatsu, Shizuoka (Japan)
Bobby Eaton and Tony Halme defeated Manabu Nakanishi and Tatsumi Fujinami
12    NJPW Explosion Tour 1993 - Day 13
1993/06/09 @ Prefectural Gymnasium in Kashihara, Nara (Japan)
Bobby Eaton and Tony Halme defeated Michiyoshi Ohara and Shinya Hashimoto
13    NJPW Explosion Tour 1993 - Day 14
1993/06/10 @ Municipal Townsman Gymnasium in Iwade, Wakayama (Japan)
Bobby Eaton and Tony Halme defeated Hiroshi Hase and Keiji Muto
14    NJPW Explosion Tour 1993 - Day 15
1993/06/11 @ Sports & Health Memorial Gymnasium in Soka, Saitama (Japan)
Bobby Eaton and Tony Halme defeated Akira Nogami and Keiji Muto
15    NJPW Explosion Tour 1993 - Day 16
1993/06/12 @ City Gymnasium in Kawasaki, Kanagawa (Japan)
Bobby Eaton and Tony Halme defeated Masahiro Chono and Takayuki Iizuka
16    NJPW Explosion Tour 1993 - Day 17
1993/06/14 @ Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium in Osaka, Osaka (Japan)
Hawk Warrior and Power Warrior © defeated Bobby Eaton and Tony Halme (6:09 minutes) [iWGP Tag Team Titles]

1    NJPW/WCW World in Japan - Day 1
1995/11/13 @ Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo, Tokyo (Japan)
Hiro Saito and Masahiro Chono defeated Bobby Eaton and Johnny B. Badd (14:29 minutes)
2    NJPW/WCW World in Japan - Day 2
1995/11/14 @ Hamamatsu Arena in Hamamatsu, Shizuoka (Japan)
Kensuke Sasaki and Osamu Nishimura defeated Robert Eaton and Steven Regal (13:15 minutes)

Besides the Chono/Iizuka match, these were taped:

13.11.1995 7.gif2.gif Ookami Gundan (Hiro Saito & Masahiro Chono) defeat Bobby Eaton & Johnny B. Badd (14:29)

NJPW WCW World In Japan - Tag 1 @ Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo, Japan

17.02.1994 7.gif Akira Nogami, Manabu Nakanishi & Takayuki Iizuka defeat Bobby Eaton, Mike Enos & Rambo

NJPW Fighting Spirit 1994 - Tag 15 @ Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo, Japan

14.06.1993 7.gif IWGP Tag Team Title: The Hell Raisers (Hawk Warrior & Power Warrior) © defeat Bobby Eaton & Tony Halme (6:09)

NJPW Explosion Tour 1993 - Tag 17 @ Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium in Osaka, Osaka, Japan

Edit: Did I miss a new health update on Bobby? I knew he'd been really sick with diabetes complication in January.

Yeah.  Meltzer had him in the Superstar Graham near death posse in the Here & There for like two months.  

Supposedly, he got out of the hospital, his heart is better and diabetes somewhat under control and was supposed to go to rehab as well.

He did a fanfest appearance at Mania weekend and people say he looks much better.

Yes. As i mentioned above, i saw him (and briefly talked to him) at the mid-south fan fest and he seemed thinner and was moving around okay and i heard JC mentioned how much better he looked.

Bobby is only tangentially in this clip, but is at the center of the angle...

I love that Bobby shakes his hand right before Arn decks him. "Look! This guy was mah pardner. He won't hurt nobody!"

Since yesterday was pretty crappy weather-wise I ended up watching Bobby Eaton matches for the better part of the day.  The only other two wrestlers I can watch that much of in one sitting are Savage and Eddie, so I think that tells you my opinion of Beautiful Bobby now.  So in thanks here are two matches I enjoyed in my search yesterday.

I liked this one because of how nuts the crowd is for Bobby as he beats an answer out of Regal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfyvbndvmv8

And I know posting a Dustin match is like posting cute animals on Reddit, but have some Bobby vs Dustin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZJ2XS03JdA

*Edit*  Also I am saddened by the fact that the WWE Network app on the PS3 gives no results for Bobby Eaton.

YouTube on the board now is weird and does not post titles so I went obscure since I did not have time to go in to each video.

It also doesn't post video length either.

I am think there is an update that needs to be installed

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Story time!  

I worked with Bobby on dozens of shows as an announcer, but man oh man I got an entire mini-feud with him in Shelbyville, TN in 2003.  

First of all: Bobby really IS the nicest guy in wrestling.  One time the carload consisted of me, Gypsy Joe, local indy worker Anthony Ingram, and Bobby Eaton.  The car ride was entirely Joe rambling about the old days when they treated him so well in Japan.  And hey, he WAS the first man to ever jump off the top of a steel cage to my knowledge, in a match in the early 70s with Rusher Kimura.  Anyway, when we stopped to get gas, I went inside to prepay (even in rural Tennessee, by 2003 they'd stopped letting you pump before you pay) and by the time I got back outside, there's Bobby Eaton handling the pumping duties himself.  I was flabbergasted.  The Midnight Express is helping me out with a gratuitous favor, just because it's the right thing to do!  Holy fucking shit.  Can't say enough good things about the man.  

At the show, I was having a blast working with Bobby.  Even if one time he did forget his own spot that he called, I (as heel manager extraordinaire, Herman Crane) was supposed to jump into the ring, and Bobby would instantly catch me with a neckbreaker before I even got all the way through the ropes.  Well, that was the plan... instead, Bobby RAN the ropes, and I did my clumsiest Lilian Garcia Is Down! impression ever.  We eventually did repeat the spot and get it right, and I got to experience the terrific nudging-with-a-pillow feeling which is the receiving end of a Bobby Eaton punch.  And one time he even directly compared me to Jim Cornette while asking for some ideas about the upcoming match, which was a piss-my-pants moment indeed.  

But the best story... aw man, I still feel guilty about this one.  One night, me and my tag team (the Backwoods Brawlers... and they were EXACTLY as talented as that name suggests) were supposed to hit the ring and ambush Bobby and two local babyfaces.  My brilliant wrestlers proved why they NEEDED a manager to do their thinking for them, as they immediately paired off with their local buddies.  Leaving me, Herman Crane, the wimpiest man to ever rip off Cornette, to tackle Bobby Fucking Eaton by myself.  (THANKS, assholes.)  I mean, the spot is that we're supposed to leave all three of 'em laying, I had to do SOMETHING.  I thought to myself, "Well, better make it look good..."

...and I charged in and I hit Bobby Eaton with an elbow shot.  Not just any elbow shot.  The "Misawa just found out Kawada fucked his wife" elbow shot.  The "Mickie Knuckles has HAD it with this backyarder" elbow shot.  The "Masato Tanaka woke up REALLY GRUMPY today" elbow shot.  I went full Yuki Ishikawa on his ass.  It was the hardest elbow I've ever thrown in my LIFE, and the elbow is one of the very few moves in wrestling that I was actually good at.  

Bobby, God bless him, bumped for me.  And I SWEAR, sometime between myself making gratuitously physical contact and Robert Eaton hitting the canvas, Bobby muttered in a bewildered tone: "Damn, brother, I owe you money?!"  

Of course, two seconds later I was giving him THE world's lightest boot-choke, entirely supporting my weight on one foot and the ropes while my other foot hovered like a hummingbird over Bobby's adam's apple.  "Ohsweetjesusbobbyimsosorryididn'tmeantodothatareyouokaysorrysorrysorry!"  With a somewhat weary twinkle in his eye, Bobby laid there and sold like the champion he is.  

He never let me forget that.  Every time he saw me afterwards, he'd tap his elbow, or something.  One time, it was a pronouncement of "Lou Thesz must'a taught you that one."  But he did it with humor and mercy.  (I consoled myself by thinking: hey, didn't Bobby wrestle the Road Warriors about a thousand times?  There's no way I could possibly hit him as hard as THOSE guys did.)  

The last time I remember seeing Bobby in person was at an indy supershow at the Nashville Fairgrounds in 2005, when the moneymark promoter had somehow managed to book Sycho Sid Vicious and actually got him to show up.  Sid's scheduled opponent that night was supposed to be Tracey Smothers, but the tempermental Smothers rightly assumed that this spot was nothing but a squash job.  Tracey bailed, went to work in a competing show downtown (Nashville and its suburbs are LOADED with indy shows everywhere) and there was drama and gratuitous shoot promos and whatnot.  They needed a big-name opponent to replace Tracey, and Bobby apparently had nothing else to do that night, so he got the call.  

Sid was in a weird position: for whatever reason, he was booked as a heel.  Which is fucking stupid, Sid is a GOD to southern indy crowds, I dunno whose idea that was.  So they had him do this deal where before the match started, he got on the mic and said that he respected Bobby enough to just let him leave unharmed rather than beat up a legend.  Bobby, the pro-est pro ever, agreed to play the total chickenshit and actually ACCEPTED the heel's "You don't want a match with me, do you?" offer.  (Has that ever happened anywhere else?)  Of course, this was all malarkey and shenanigans, Sid promptly jumped Bobby and proceeded to squash with a vengeance.  However, I guess Bobby didn't feel like taking Sid's finishers (or Sid was hesitant to do them on the poor fragile aging guy); the match ended in one of those pathetic "match ends when one wrestler can't defend himself" anticlimaxes.  Instead, they sent out a buncha young guys to get MURDERDEATHKILLED by Sid, who chokeslammed and powerbombed everything in sight while Bobby quietly slipped to the back.  

I hope he's doing okay now, as reports seem to indicate.  Haven't seen him in long years, but it was always a pleasure. 

• Like 12