DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: BOBBY EATON

RIPPA

We close another week with guys I adore with the man better than fucking Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels. I said it and all your arguments otherwise are wrong.

Plus... I would rather get Eaton in now instead of say in like a month when he isn't around and my tears will prevent me from typing.

And as tempting as it might be - please don't post every Midnight Express match ever. (Also don't bother posting War Games because we all know it rules but there are 10 guys in it and I dont want to keep reposting it)

Fuck - there are like a 1000 things I want to post... God he might be my favorite puncher ever

Stupid Bill Watts rules. Stupid Black Scorpion angle ruining anything. But still...

Probably the best match from that "Gauntlet" gimmick they used to do

• Like 1

Yeah, I have been wanting Rippa to drop the Eaton >>>>>>>>>>> Hart and Michaels bit for ages.  

Funny enough, the Eaton over those two things started when Raven Mack asked Rippa and I for a list of top like 25 favorite wrestlers and we were both full of hate for far too much hype on those two.  Then we realized - Fuck!  Bobby Fucking Eaton was the great 80's tag team worker who should be pimped not those two.

Of course, Bobby didn't have a ton of charisma or mic skills or the body...or Vince's hype machine.

Still, Bobby Eaton was a fucking great professional wrestler.  Anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

Obligatory ME match since this is a ME v ME match I don't recall ever seeing.

And a couple of matches against Koko B Ware from Memphis in 1980

And what the hell?  A Bobby-Rey match

http://youtu.be/MtlxEC_xsck

• Like 1

God, watch all of the MX squashes from Techwood Drive just to see the shit Bobby would do... and I'm not just talking MOVEZ. Every match has him doing something different to bedevil the hapless enhancement dudes.

God, watch all of the MX squashes from Techwood Drive just to see the shit Bobby would do... and I'm not just talking MOVEZ. Every match has him doing something different to bedevil the hapless enhancement dudes.

My personal favorite was when Bobby turned a masked jobber's mask around and started punching him.  I don't do it justice here, but it was hilarious.

• Like 1

I could well be alone here, but really liked Bobby as a face in '91.

I was just about to post something along those lines. I've been making my way through 91 WCW ppvs and on Halloween Havoc he had a great match with Terry Taylor where it seemed he was just on the verge of really breaking out as a face. In his promo afterward he came across like a fun 'ol countryboy which goodness knows the WCW fan base would've eaten up. Then I believe next ppv he's back as a heel. Sucks they didn't give him more time.

My personal favorite was when Bobby turned a masked jobber's mask around and started punching him.  I don't do it justice here, but it was hilarious.

Mine is when he goes to the mat with someone for a bit, pops up and shakes his hand. Guy's partner comes in, they go to the mat, Bobby pops up, teases the handshake and just decks him.

Bobby Eaton is another guy right in my wheel house. The lion's share of my exposure to his work is from the JCP days. He was easily one of the top 10 in-ring guys Crockett had in the 80's. Watching he and Morton during the RnR/MX matches work off of each other was amazing. I also love how, as sort of a doughy, pale kid with no muscle tone threw a worked punch that LOOKED SO GOOD that the announcers and later, the other wrestlers, HAD to put it over as a legit part of his offense. I can't say enough about how great "Beautiful Bobby" was.

Edit: Did I miss a new health update on Bobby? I knew he'd been really sick with diabetes complication in January.

Edit: Did I miss a new health update on Bobby? I knew he'd been really sick with diabetes complication in January.

Yeah.  Meltzer had him in the Superstar Graham near death posse in the Here & There for like two months.  

Supposedly, he got out of the hospital, his heart is better and diabetes somewhat under control and was supposed to go to rehab as well.

He did a fanfest appearance at Mania weekend and people say he looks much better.

Oh yeah,  It might not get any better than the Midnights against the Mulkey's for pure squash match fun.

The top rope belly to back suplex Bobby gives hurts even now.

• Like 1

He wasn't a guy I learned appreciate until I got into my 20's. Even when I didn't see greatness I loved his finish. Nobody made the top rope leg drop look more brutal.

It's a shame Anderson/Eaton vs Williams/Gordy was only done on house shows. It's also a shame Eaton never worked AJPW, I have visions of him punching Kikuchi right in the mouth. Did he have any memorable matches in NJPW?

Lastly what was the deal with Eaton and Arn working the ECW show in 94 while working for WCW? Did WCW just not give a shit about 2 midcarders working an Indy?

Lastly what was the deal with Eaton and Arn working the ECW show in 94 while working for WCW? Did WCW just not give a shit about 2 midcarders working an Indy?

Supposedly, they were loaned out to keep ECW from suing WCW for using When World's Collide as the name of a PPV when ECW had the name trademarked.

Oh yeah,  It might not get any better than the Midnights against the Mulkey's for pure squash match fun.

The top rope belly to back suplex Bobby gives hurts even now.

Pretty sure Bill broke his coccyx (AKA the tailbone, you pervs) when Eaton tossed him out. I broke mine in junior high and it laid me out for weeks.

Agh! I've been afk most of the day on Bobby Eaton day!

I don't think there's easy footage of him doing the king gimmick.

I wonder if I like Eaton more than Bret. Probably. 

I really love 1991 face Eaton since that is how I first encountered him and he seemed like such a good ol' finesse asskicking babyface. 

• Like 1

After seeing the original Bobby > Bret and Shawn I've caught myself thinking about this one too. Yeah, I do think I'd rather sit and watch an hour of Bobby Eaton over an hour of Bret Hart.

• Like 1

After seeing the original Bobby > Bret and Shawn I've caught myself thinking about this one too. Yeah, I do think I'd rather sit and watch an hour of Bobby Eaton over an hour of Bret Hart.

And Rippa and my work is done here.