DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

4 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

As far as it affecting the UWF, that is stretching it a bit far, but I know for sure the hit that Texas took in the mid-80's was a legit problem down here.

It was but Watts spent a ton of money for the national tv syndication network and was never able to make it back when he toured those towns, once he saw that he called up Jim Crockett Jr. and sold the syndication network and offices in Dallas to him. Business dropped off in Louisiana and Oklahoma but how much of that was the economy and how much of it was caused by Watts stars jumping to Vince, stars having Japan tours be a priority over the UWF, years of hotshoting angles and so on. By the time Watts made the move into Dallas the town was totally burned out thanks to the Von Erichs and he basically pissed money away with the offices they leased.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Following the trend of the Superdome shows, it looks like the talent was still there but attendance dropped off significantly (13,000 in November 1986, 3,000 in April 1987, and not too many changes in talent aside from Duggan). Crockett had bought the UWF two days before the April 1987 Superdome show, so that was before all the talent jumps except Duggan, and DiBiase had already made All Japan his priority before the attendance started dropping. To me, that lends credence to what Watts always said, that he saw the writing on the wall and essentially worked Crockett into buying him out (if I recall correctly, he went to Crockett and claimed McMahon was going to buy him out, so Crockett should make him an offer because if McMahon bought the UWF it would practically kill Crockett).

they really should have explored the origins of Duggan's "hoo!" and with the help of papa shango realise that he is actually possessed by Jack the Ripper and wanting to rid the world of prostitutes using a 2x4.

And then instead of pairing him with Kamala, Rev Slick cures Duggan of syphilis.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

they really should have explored the origins of Duggan's "hoo!" and with the help of papa shango realise that he is actually possessed by Jack the Ripper and wanting to rid the world of prostitutes using a 2x4.

And then instead of pairing him with Kamala, Rev Slick cures Duggan of syphilis.

That's better than any storyline we're getting on Raw.

• Like 3

And Duggan gets away with the off screen murder of Mike McGuirk as he's being protected by the ruling class.

Jack Tunney had always hated women and saw merit in Duggan's insanity, and put together mechanisms that to this day see Corey Graves and Pete Rosenberg debate whether the Leilani Kai murder was considered canon.

This thread certainly took an unexpected turn in the last day or so.

20 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

SIT ON MY DILDO BLENDER, TOUGH GUUUUY. HOOOOO!

Duggan turns on Slaughter in a segment on the Barber Shop.

In the second most iconic segment in the shows history, Duggan beats him around the head with the 2x4 a little, before forcing him on the dildo blender. The show goes off the air with children scarred for life into remembering what Sgt Slaughter's forced O face looks like.

The live audience are given the treat of seeing Duggan pick up Beefcake's straitrazor and begins looking manic and possessed, but as was the norm, talked out of committing homicide by Rene Goulet.

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2018 at 10:44 PM, PetrolCB said:

Please, nobody bring up the blender in this scenario. 

...oh...god damn it. 

Am I the only one that brings up a dildo blender in front of people that have no idea what the origins of it is? 

3 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Yes. I’d never want to be known as the weirdo wrestling fan. 

Now if you excuse me, I’m off to go watch FMW’s Exploding Anus Match. 

DVDVR: where we're all the weirdo wrestling fan

• Like 2

When did Cornette run OVW? I was listening to Corny's drive thru the other day, and someone had written in about women wrestlers and implants. Cornette talked about a young woman who came to OVW. She seemed to have been a particular favorite of his, described by him as pretty with blond curly hair, a sweet disposition, and a normal young woman's body.

He basically says this woman was ruined in his eyes once she got sucked into the whole Barbie doll thing in the Deever culture.

Depending on the timing of when he was there, I'm trying to figure out who he might have been talking about. Not that we really have any way of knowing. Maybe Kelly, or Maryse?

12 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

When did Cornette run OVW? I was listening to Corny's drive thru the other day, and someone had written in about women wrestlers and implants. Cornette talked about a young woman who came to OVW. She seemed to have been a particular favorite of his, described by him as pretty with blond curly hair, a sweet disposition, and a normal young woman's body.

He basically says this woman was ruined in his eyes once she got sucked into the whole Barbie doll thing in the Deever culture.

Depending on the timing of when he was there, I'm trying to figure out who he might have been talking about. Not that we really have any way of knowing. Maybe Kelly, or Maryse?

1999 to 2005. My guess would be Jillian Hall since she was there during that time and had a pretty dramatic appearance change while in OVW. This is what she looked like pre-OVW:

01.jpg

1 hour ago, Sasha said:

1999 to 2005. My guess would be Jillian Hall since she was there during that time and had a pretty dramatic appearance change while in OVW. 

Ooh, good call. I'll bet you're right.

We'll never know for sure, and he'll never say. But that's a good one. 

Luckily, renowned dermatologist, Dr. Martin "The Boogeyman" Wright, was able to remove the growth before it was able to spread by using a biting-edge new technique.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2