DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

On WWE Countdown they counted down the best 10 tag teams, but I think some of the teams they had listed should have been replaced with the Hart Foundation, Steiner Brothers, Harlem Heat, Rock 'n' Roll Express and Midnight Express.

• Like 1

I don't take the Countdown shows too seriously but I am baffled by the exclusion of the Steiners and Hart Foundation from a WWE countdown on best tag teams. I can get that the two Express teams may be a bit unknown sadly to their current audience but these two teams should have been on there

I was watching Survivor Series 2001 and was wondering were there any plans to bring Jim Cornette back as an announcer after Paul E. got fired 

Nope. The plan was just to have Lawler back. Paul E. wasn't supposed to be an on-camera character in the first place. Cornette wouldn't do it in the first place due to his travel issues.

I was watching Survivor Series 2001 and was wondering were there any plans to bring Jim Cornette back as an announcer after Paul E. got fired 

Nope. The plan was just to have Lawler back. Paul E. wasn't supposed to be an on-camera character in the first place. Cornette wouldn't do it in the first place due to his travel issues.

IIRC, didn't Lawler not officially sign until the day after Survivor Series?

Also, Cornette has said before that the powers that be didn't like him and JR as an announce team because they were "too southern". Cornette always made it sound like he would have been game to announce with JR, but he specifically said that, I'm just assuming.

RIC FLAIR VS. SHAWN MICHAELS, WRESTLEMANIA 24

I've never seen this until now. I have no idea how or why. But this match is so good. So, so, so, so, so good. How does this never come up in the discussion of best WrestleMania matches of all-time? This match is essentially perfect.

I love how Shawn goes into this still as Mr. WrestleMania -- it's not just him potentially retiring his idol, but it's also about him trying to do something to steal the show. And his ego nearly burns him with that absolutely insane moonsault to the table. I mean, he completely was willing to have his lungs punctured for that move. The moonsault to the floor is also really crazy, as Flair barely catches him.

The role reversal ode they do is also so classic. I love that Michaels gets caught by Flair, and Flair hits a crossbody from the top. If you watch enough Flair matches, you know that on occasion he actually did successfully come off the top. But since those attempts are so few and far between, and also since was only a guy in the WWE for a pretty limited amount of time, the audience pops like it's the first time he ever hit that move. Brilliant.

But the story of this match is just epic. Flair keeps on finding ways to escape and nearly steal a win. My favorite is his nut shot that gets a really great near fall. The inevitable ending is really great and heartbreaking. Michaels does such a great job at realizing what he has to do to win and the ramifications that will come from it. But he does it anyways. Old Yeller, indeed.

It's got an amazing finish, but it's only the third best match on the card, at best.

On this board we've had this argument a million times, but my position is still "If it makes you cry (which Flair vs. Michaels did), you can't ask for much more out of a wrestling match."

I loved Edge vs. Undertaker. I loved Orton vs. Cena vs. HHH. I loved Punk winning MITB. But when I think back to WM24, it's all about Flair/Michaels to me.

Match of the night and match of the year.

It's got an amazing finish, but it's only the third best match on the card, at best.

We're in agreement. Said it before but The Undertaker vs. Edge was the best match on the show and my 2008 WWE Match of the Year. WrestleMania XXIX is one of the best ever WrestleMania's and wrestling PPV's. Great card.

I've been watching '99 ECW, since I missed the first few PPVs when they came out. God, those Dudley matches were incredibly long and horrible.

I watched Heatwave 99 that had the infamous Bubba rant where he asked a woman in the audience if she taught her 13 year old daughter how to suck dick. My two takeaways from that were:

1. The fact that there was a woman in the ECW audience to begin with and that she was giving it right back to Bubba by cussing and spitting on him (of course he spit right back on her) so it seems like she     knew what ECW was all about

2. Who in the blue hell would think it was a good idea to take their pre-teen/barely teenaged daughter to an ECW show?!

• Like 1

I've been watching '99 ECW, since I missed the first few PPVs when they came out. God, those Dudley matches were incredibly long and horrible.

Check out Living Dangerously 1999, Hardcore Heaven 1999 and Anarchy Rulz 1999, the latter was my 1999 PPV of the Year.

I watched Heatwave 99 that had the infamous Bubba rant where he asked a woman in the audience if she taught her 13 year old daughter how to suck dick. My two takeaways from that were:

1. The fact that there was a woman in the ECW audience to begin with and that she was giving it right back to Bubba by cussing and spitting on him (of course he spit right back on her) so it seems like she     knew what ECW was all about

2. Who in the blue hell would think it was a good idea to take their pre-teen/barely teenaged daughter to an ECW show?!

In agreement.

I don't have kids however I feel like I'd be pretty lenient in what I'd let my kids watch (mainly b/c I was allowed to watch pretty much whatever I wanted as a kid and I turned out ok) but I don't think I'd have let my kid go to an ECW show with me. My fiancee has two kids that I've gotten into wrestling and I feel like she shelters them a bit from what they watch but even I've told them to stay away from ECW on the WWE Network unless I'm there to fast forward through a lot of the stuff.

We're in agreement. Said it before but The Undertaker vs. Edge was the best match on the show and my 2008 WWE Match of the Year. WrestleMania XXIX is one of the best ever WrestleMania's and wrestling PPV's. Great card.

By WrestleMania XXIX, I'm guessing you mean XXIV because XXIX=29 which would be Rock/Cena 2 and was largely a terrible show.

Check out Living Dangerously 1999, Hardcore Heaven 1999 and Anarchy Rulz 1999, the latter was my 1999 PPV of the Year.

In agreement.

Buh Buh's filth promos are some of my favorite things ever. The dude was going out of his way to start a riot every time he grabbed the microphone. And he nearly did. That's rasslin' right there.

Four things about the live ECW experience:

1) There were more than just a few times when some trashy skank would lift up her top at the arena, usually at the behest of her abusive bodybuilding life partner. There was one show at the Arena where this behavior literally stopped the show to the point where Heyman had to come out and run those people down and shame them into leaving. It was truly epic.

2) Actually getting into the Arena itself was dangerous. You'd wait in line with the scum of the earth. And once the doors were open, it was every man for himself in an attempt to get it. You were stuck in this pen with just the worst people pushing to get through. Even if you had tickets ahead of time (and I always did), there wasn't a guarantee you'd actually get a seat. There were four doors to get in. The crew that ran that operation kept three closed and one open to take/sell tickets.

Did you see the Hillsborough 30 for 30? I almost got caught up in one in that shoot. These lunatics who weighed over 400 pounds each just shoved people out of the way and a wave of people started. I was off my feet against a wall at some point with people jammed into me at all sorts of angles. It was also the summer and roughly 150 degrees in that awful entrance. My friend Mike (who is a pretty big guy) was also off his feet with his face buried in someone's rat-tail mullet. Once we finally got through, he had to spit out mullet hair.

3) One time in the cattle chute, a woman was leaving. She was nearly unconscious drunk, wearing a bikini top. She was being helped out by some pre-teen boy. This kid at one point said, "Come on, Mom." I averted my eyes from what was going on after that comment so I wouldn't  have to testify in a grand jury. I also wonder what that kid's doing now.

4) I took a girl on a date to the ECW Arena. That was not the best idea, particularly when the biker next to her put his hand on her thigh and I just nodded my head and looked the other way. (Our second date was to a Squirrel Nut ZIppers show. That was a little bit of a different crowd. She ended up dissing me for Tony Phatsacks, this chubby weed dealer frat kid who wore a hat made of hemp that said "You cannot smoke thiz hat." I was kind of heartbroken and then I saw them rollerblading together in the quad.)

• Like 1

By WrestleMania XXIX, I'm guessing you mean XXIV because XXIX=29 which would be Rock/Cena 2 and was largely a terrible show.

Good catch. Yep I meant XXIV.

4) I took a girl on a date to the ECW Arena. That was not the best idea, particularly when the biker next to her put his hand on her thigh and I just nodded my head and looked the other way. (Our second date was to a Squirrel Nut ZIppers show. That was a little bit of a different crowd. She ended up dissing me for Tony Phatsacks, this chubby weed dealer frat kid who wore a hat made of hemp that said "You cannot smoke thiz hat." I was kind of heartbroken and then I saw them rollerblading together in the quad.)

SHE GAVE YOU A SECOND DATE????
  • Like 5

When i went to Chikara shows at the arena, i always got there super early so i vould park next to thr building. And we (the chikarafans group) usually were at the front of the queue to get in. And it was daytime, so that helped. Abd it wsas chikara, not ecw or czw orveven roh.

When i went to Chikara shows at the arena, i always got there super early so i vould park next to thr building. And we (the chikarafans group) usually were at the front of the queue to get in. And it was daytime, so that helped. Abd it wsas chikara, not ecw or czw orveven roh.

They also changed how the doors are structured. It's no longer a death trap.

Didn't Polo allegedly take Shane out drinking with him, and that pissed Vince off that Shane was acting like one of the boys?

Yep. That's supposedly the root of all the "Vince hates Raven" stuff. Evidently, Raven had an office at Titan Towers and was working as a commentator and segment producer when he became friends with Shane, who was shadowing his dad to learn all about the business or whatever. Shane being a young rich kid and Raven being Raven, they would go out partying/clubbing in NYC which totally pissed off Vince. I seem to recall Missy Hyatt in her book - or maybe it was on Dave's old Eyada show - mentioning the first time she met Shane he was at NY night club with Raven.

The crazy thing to consider is, if Raven hadn't been Raven - and stayed with WWE - he probably would've had the career trajectory that ended up going to Michael Hayes.

And arguably, he would've been better off in the long run.