DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL DRAFT

RIPPA

The leaked Wonderlic scores are starting to be reported - believe and feel about this what you will

Manziel - 32

Bortles - 28

Bridgewater - 20

Cornell's QB Jeff Matthews got a 40 which supposedly was the highest score for QBs

SBNation's latest Mock

They included trades which I always find brings the extra wacky to mocks - this one has the Vikings trading up with the Browns to get Khalil Mack and the Browns still getting Blake Bortles.

Of course they also have Bortles being the only QB drafted in the first 18 picks

Both Mike Mayock and Mel Kiper this week projected Teddy Bridgewater as now going in the Second Round

Kiper's latest mock is Insider only (which I am finally smartened up and am no longer. God bless you expired credit card - saving me from my own stupidity.)

Both Mike Mayock and Mel Kiper this week projected Teddy Bridgewater as now going in the Second Round

Kiper's latest mock is Insider only (which I am finally smartened up and am no longer. God bless you expired credit card - saving me from my own stupidity.)

Seriously, I don't get the "OMG TEDDY BRIDGEWATER IS TERRIBLE" vibe all of a sudden. Back in November teams were supposed to be tanking their seasons for the right to draft this guy. Now he's not as good as Blake Bortles, Derek Carr and Zach Mettenberger?

Really?

I mean, I know that Geno Smith dropped a lot last year, but Teddy Bridgewater is a hell of a lot better than Geno Smith.

For whatever reason - folks are freaked out by his bad pro day.

Now - I will say this. Kiper supposedly has the Texans taking him with the very first pick in the 2nd Round (Taking Clowney #1 overall). Clearly Houston would wet themselves if that happened.

I guess the thought is that after you get to a certain point in the draft (say if you are super conservative and say the Cards at #20) no one needs a QB. At least not with their first rounder.

Teams can still trade back into the first round - and the Browns could always use that 2nd 1st Round pick (if they haven't moved up) to take a QB

So yeah - with a deep QB class - I could see it happening. It probably won't but...

For whatever reason - folks are freaked out by his bad pro day.

Now - I will say this. Kiper supposedly has the Texans taking him with the very first pick in the 2nd Round (Taking Clowney #1 overall). Clearly Houston would wet themselves if that happened.

I guess the thought is that after you get to a certain point in the draft (say if you are super conservative and say the Cards at #20) no one needs a QB. At least not with their first rounder.

Teams can still trade back into the first round - and the Browns could always use that 2nd 1st Round pick (if they haven't moved up) to take a QB

So yeah - with a deep QB class - I could see it happening. It probably won't but...

Understandable. But there are also a ton of teams at the top of the draft that need quarterbacks. . .Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland, Minnesota, maybe Tampa (depending on how they really feel about Mike Glennon).

If all those teams get too cute and think that they're going to get their guy at the bottom of the first or at the top of the second, then you're going to get the scenario that you mentioned where teams are going to trade back into Round 1 to get their guy and then they're screwed.

I'd love to see Bridgewater fall to Minnesota at 8. I don't think there are seven players in this draft better than Bridgewater is, and certainly no quarterbacks that are better than he is.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/silvas-two-round-mock-draft-044100185--nfl.html

This is what a mock looks like when no QB's are taken in the top ten. . . 

Not having a QB being drafted until pick #26 might be the single dumbest thing in a mock draft since Rich thought Chris Simms would go #9

Particularly under the current CBA where it doesn't murder your salary cap if you're wrong the way it used to. 

The head of everyone on ESPN's draft coverage would explode if Manziel is the first quarterback off the board at 26.   

This would be good, because then Chris Berman would be dead. 

• Like 1

Anyone that refers to Va Tech as "VPI" is to be ignored.  I know the QB slipping thing is the popular mock but I don't see it happening, I think it is based of GM's feeding false information which is what they should be doing.  Too many teams in the upper half need a QB, and while there is not a Luck or Griffin predicted in this draft, there are a handful of really solid QB prospects.  Three OT going in the first five picks just seems baffling to me, I know that happened last year but it was expected to happen last year, it isn't the new norm.

As much as this class has started to be considered trash (looking at Merrill Hoge, the dope), why would the NFL waste time inviting anyone?  They're all going in the 4th round! ;)

Merrill Hoge is starting to seem like the NFL old timer who wants all the young kids to stay off his lawn. He does make two valid points though. Manziel needs to stop freelancing in the NFL and Jadevon Clowney isn't a great football player. Clowney doesn't need to be as so far his physical skills make up for it. Kalil Mack is both a great athlete and a great football player.

That picture is so distinctly Southern, I can barely believe it.  And I live in the South.

Yeah, there's about 500 southern cliches in that one photo.

Watching the "Caught in the Draft" show about the 1984 draft and it amazing that in the USFL Supplemental draft the Giants were deciding between Gary Zimmerman and Reggie White.  Parcells wanted Reggie but they ended up going with the lineman Zimmerman who didn't end up playing for them.  While it is safe to say things still turned out okay for the Giants, can you imagine how incredible that defense would have been with Reggie White and Lawrence Taylor on the same team  :o

I love Merrill Hoge sitting there telling me why Johnny Manziel will be a bust in the NFL as they show highlights of Manziel doing things on the field against teams like Alabama that I haven't seen anyone do, maybe since young Michael Vick.