DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 1/17/14

victor

Bray Wyatt's daddy is dead...

RIP Captain Mike.

Without his beard, Harper looks like he belongs in a Kevin Smith movie.

1) I think that's Eli Cottonwood.

2) Actually, Harper's indie name of Brodie Lee is taken because he loves Kevin Smith movies and also looks a little bit like Jason Lee. So he referenced both.

3) You probably knew that and if you did, good work.

• Like 1

That in no way would turn him face. IRS as a face... just, no.

well, IRS as a heel was pretty damn lame too. Not even a 20 minute compilation of IRS promos can save his reputation. The link is the same fucking promo over and over for 20 minutes.

Although they could always have Bray's father as bizarro-IRS, Mike Rotundo playing a tax protester, whose refusal to pay taxes led to the IRS seizing his home and Bray running away to live in the swamp. Then Bizarro-IRS will wrestle a few matches where he uses an 861 Airplane Spin to finish opponents.

Boy, those IRS promos just seem beyond weird for the kid-friendly version of the WWF. WHY THE FUCK WOULD KIDS CARE ABOUT A TAX GIMMICK!?

SD thoughts -

Good show in-ring. Odd to have two schoolboy finishes on the show though - it comes off as really lazy when it's not only something you see company-wide, but twice in an hour. ZEB IN A WHEELCHAIR IS THE GREATEST GIMMICK ON PLANET EARTH! Mr. Kane goes from Business mode into Monster mode way better than Park does.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/01/sd-1-17-14.html

Screens -

ceb81a301938340.jpg

2d7e69301938343.jpg

b2bad5301938380.jpg

cd8962301938433.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/cfz816rhpuea50gf51ecf4o7l7hzjvxv

Saw Outlaws vs Rhodes Bros. First off, the crowd was definitely more into the Rhodes Bros which was refreshing. There was a pretty good opening exchange between Road Dogg and Goldust and then a really good mid match one between Billy and Cody. My biggest problem with Cody is still his facial expressions. He's the least emotive guy in the world when he's hitting his stuff and mainly just looks like he's trying to focus on doing what he's supposed to do next. That said, almost every other aspect of his game has improved over the last few months. No problem with the Outlaws win since it was framed as bs. They looked fine and it was great to see Cody and Goldust vs a different team but anyone who wants them to get the weekly tag focus over the Brotherhood right now is sort of a doofus. 

If I had to guess right now I'd say that the Rhdoes bros will not break up at the Rumble, if only because they're pushing it too hard.

This match was decent for what it was. But man, that Outlaws shtick is the worst. Aren't they supposed to be the corporate heels here doing HHH a favor? They do their entrance that's essentially a giant Pavlovian dog whistle and a classic fan favorite. If you find repeating this stuff word-for-word in any way entertaining than you and I will just have to disagree on what comprises taste.

The Wyatt/Bryan package was awesome. The promo was awesome. Bray's the best. However they blow this off is going to rule.

The Shield interview was great, too. Ambrose is the man. Sexually harassing Renee, telling Seth he'd toss him and to "work on your landing."

Usos/Real Americans RULED. The Usos came out heavily taped from the cage match on Monday. The Real Americans spent the first 85% of the match just working on Jimmy's ribs. There were so many tag cut-offs. Just great build. The Real Americans stuff looked super vicious due to the tape/Jimmy's selling. The leaping stomp was great. The giant swing was even better. But the best was Swagger doing a basic elbow drop right onto the ribs and then doing this really great "HAHAHAHAHAHA" evil laugh. They build to the hot tag with Jimmy hitting a corkscrew moonsault at one point and it ends up on the floor. Cesaro hides behind Zeb - in a wheelchair, neckbrace AND with damaged vocal chords!  He keeps twirling the wheelchair around to keep Jimmy from getting him. Finally, Zeb trips Jimmy and he and Cesaro exchange this ridiculous high-five. Jimmy then reverses an Irish whip to the floor and takes Zeb and the wheelchair and plows it into Cesaro. Swagger's on the top rope and Jay gets him in a crazy looking electric chair. Jimmy then comes in, splash, and The Usos rise continues! There was also a really good Patriot Lock spot in there, too. Great stuff.

Swagger's elbow to the ribs...

It amazes me how many people are just now realizing how fucking awesome the Uso's are.

Damn those Hart kids and their utter stench of utter indifference.

I've liked them for a while now but they've seemed to somehow jump up a level the past bit. I'm not sure if it's because they're winning matches or getting a little promo time but it's really clicking for them right now.

100% true. The spinning, the high-five, the way they took the bump at the end. I couldn't stop laughing. It was more Looney Tunes than the Yosemite Sam comparison in the photos thread. 

The entrance where Jack and Antonio do the hand on heart....  On an incline....

They were also super-green then. They've improved a ton in a few years and their semi-main event push of 2013 did them a world of good. They're now perfectly fine in an hour 1 main event role and have really benefited from always having a major league intro that's finally catching on.

Usos really have it going now. They're super white meat babyfaces second only to Kofi or Rey in the fed in that respect (funny, "white meat" yet none are white), yet they can work their asses off and their stuff looks like it hurts. That running ass-smash last night looked so brutal. 

I hate the Uso's. Their stupid tribal dance, their make-up, their stupid pleather shorts that they bought off Highspots.com, their gangsta Samoans instead of island Samoans, the way they've killed the superkick as a finisher, and the fact that they're twins. I hate it all.