DVDVR Message Board

Got any New Year's resolutions?

S.K.o.S.

Bad News Barrett aside.

Mine are:

- No more Starbucks.  I started out getting mochas at Starbucks, then switched to Americanos in the name of calorie-cutting, but there's no need to be paying Starbucks prices for black coffee when there's a coffee machine right there at work.  So I'll still be drinking coffee, just paying much less for it.

- Less restaurants, more cooking for myself.  Again, this is an effort to save money.  I'm not going to be winning any awards with my cooking, just trying to make it so that I'm not eating the exact same thing every night when I stay in.

- No more playing Candy Crush.  My shameful addiction must end.  I've actually already broken this one and amended it to "No more playing Candy Crush in my home."

- Watch more wrestling.  Aiming to watch 50 full shows in 2014, not including weekly tv.

1) Change jobs by the end of the year.  That can mean moving to a better position in my current place of work, moving to a different dept of the federal government, or going private sector.  But I HAVE to get out of the shithole I'm in now.

2) Save up the money for a gym membership, and find a way to force myself to go even though it's a mile walk.  I've pretty much hit the limits of what I can do in the complex weight room; I need a few sessions with a trainer and more than four machines available to me to start actually building muscle instead of just losing weight.  Unfortunately, this will conflict with

3) Cook more often, and learn to REALLY cook instead of slapping a chicken breast or pork chop on the George Foreman and eating it with green beans or spinach cooked on the stove.

4) Possible overshare, but what the hell:  Deal with my bullshit emotionally.  This year I started therapy for the first time in years and went off Zoloft after spending my entire adult life at an unusually high dose.  I made immediate improvements in my attitude and outlook (because the drug tended to "level me off" at "90 seconds from a nervous breakdown") and it contributed greatly to the 55 pounds I lost this year because my metabolism was no longer negative.  But over time I've become a lot more aware of the problems I still have, things that I just categorized as 'misery' before but that I can really identify in myself now, like social anxiety problems that previously just registered as a vague unhappiness in certain situations.  In the past 3 months, though, I've backslid quite a bit; some of the problems I've identified have become self-fulfilling predictions rather than a thing I can identify as it's happening and try to adjust my actions to counter.  The end result is I turtle up in big groups, even the company of my friends, then get really fucking needy and weepy when I'm able to function at all again.  That shit has to stop, because it's (a) interfering with my ability to make new friends, date, etc. and (b) incredibly unfair to the people who have been amazingly supportive and helpful to me.  I am always, always going to be at a huge social disadvantage because I can't register body and facial language the way the sighted do, nor do I get the full benefit of the doubt that totals do.  So I need to stop stacking more logs on that particular fire, ASAP.

5) Find some way to become involved in the push toward autonomous vehicles, where I can make a real difference and improve the quality of life for myself and other non-drivers so we don't have to rely on overtaxed city paratransit, cab drivers who don't want to drive outside the 'profitable' areas without someone already in the car, or friends who have other things to do.  Not saying I'm going to start a non-profit advocacy group...though the idea is appealing if I had a clue where to start.  But one way or another, I intend to help make sure those cars hit the road when they're ready, no matter who objects.

6) Admit to my family that I no longer share their religion.  I'll leave that at that to avoid running afoul of rules here.

7) Costume for Dragoncon and Halloween.

• Like 1

About six months ago I realized that Candy Crush was more frustrating than fun. Deleted the app and went cold turkey. One of the best decisions I ever made

Mine are simple. Be on my phone less, especially in social settings. I have a nasty habit of playing on my phone when out with people and it is rude.

Drop more weight. Got down from a high of 270 to about 210. Keep pushing that. Got my blue belt in BJJ in 2013 so keep training with that.

Ivp, I'm impressed. I hope you're able to keep it up and reach your goals. A few years ago I was diagnosed with hypertension and my weight was 280. I had to get an ICD/pacemaker because my heart is so weak. I lost a bunch of weight topping out at 220. Now I'm plateaued between 225 and 230 one of my goals this year is to make some strides and maybe get to 200.

Financially, I haven't been able to save in years. I saw the 52 week money challenge and while I don't think I can do that, if I make some strides and have at least 500 by the end of the year, goal accomplished imo.

I have 3 big credit card debts. One I know for a fact I can pay off in a few months, especially using my tax return. I have another one, relatively lofty, but id like to make some strides towards that. Selling off more of my old stuff helps, but not enough.

Which leads me to finding a new job. I haven't had a raise ay my current job in 3 years despite my performance reviews reflecting I earned them. And with costs of things going up, I need more money. But I'm still there because I get really good health insurance so part of me is hesitant in leaving because of that.

anyways it did feel good to get that out there.

Finish my dissertation and get my goddamn PhD. I've been hovering near completion for far too long.

Also, get out more (I'm a homebody), and try to lose 5-10 pounds. I'm at 195 after a lazy few months, which is decent enough for my height (I'm 6'3), but I was down to 185 a few months ago. 190 seems like a weight I can maintain.

Also, try to get a couple more publications, since I'll be on the job/post-doc market soon.

Maybe introduce more vegetarian/vegan meals into my diet, and do some yoga or something.

Read some more poetry.

I've never bothered with New Year's resolutions, but last year I made some vague promises to sort my life out. So, I forced myself to go to a doctor regularly, get some tests done, figured out what was wrong with me, educated myself on it, changed my diet and am now able to manage it much better than I was. I also finally forced myself to try for my driver's license until I got it. Took 3 attempts, but I bought myself a car within hours of passing. Best thing ever, because it allowed me much more freedom in my life. It's kind of amazing what sheer willpower can do for you. Anyway, after seeing how well last year's "resolutions" went, I figured I'd make some plans for this year too.

1. I've already put away my credit cards, so that I'm not carrying them with me and being tempted to use them when out and about. I've racked up silly amounts of debt in the last couple of years, so now I'm limiting the cards use to only necessary, online purchases.

2. After losing 10-15 pounds due to my change in diet, I became really trim (165 pounds or so). I started working out recently, literally a few pushups/situps etc here and there around the house, and have found that I can build muscle fairly easily. So my goal there is to improve on that.

3. I need to do something about my work situation. I like the company I'm at, and the benefits/flexibility are awesome, but I don't make enough money. So I need to work my way into a new position there.

Also, get out more (I'm a homebody), and try to lose 5-10 pounds. I'm at 195 after a lazy few months, which is decent enough for my height (I'm 6'3), but I was down to 185 a few months ago. 190 seems like a weight I can maintain.

I don't know how you're built, but I'm also 6'3, and at 185-190 the skinny look was not good. If anything, lift some weights and try to add 5 - 10 pounds. I'm 220 right now, could probably lose 5 - 10 myself, but I'm putting up two plates on the bench and fit into 36 inch jeans, so can't complain.

Whoa, yeah. That's too slim for your height. If you're just a little more doughy than you'd like, definitely think more about putting on muscle rather than just losing poundage.

Shit, I'm only 5'11", and when I was 180-185 a while back, I didn't even really look that chubby.

Now I'm down to 145, which is...yeah, probably too skinny. Which is why one of my resolutions is adding some muscle weight.

Get back into Krav. Got an injury, got married, and lost my edge. I enjoy it too much not to do it.

Get the weight under control. I'm 6'3 , and have a thick upper body, but 275 is too heavy. I went from 330 to 245 3 yrs ago, and slowly gained some back. Wanna get down to 225 this yr.

Get a promotion at one of the two tv stations i'm at now. Finally send in that app to wwe.

Me and the wife wanna conceive this year.

Whoa, yeah. That's too slim for your height. If you're just a little more doughy than you'd like, definitely think more about putting on muscle rather than just losing poundage.

Shit, I'm only 5'11", and when I was 180-185 a while back, I didn't even really look that chubby.

Now I'm down to 145, which is...yeah, probably too skinny. Which is why one of my resolutions is adding some muscle weight.

I looked sexy as hell at 185. I'm still carrying more flesh through my torso and hips than I'd like. Still, I take your point, and will probably be focused more on gaining muscle.

I wish weights weren't so expensive

Run a half-marathon. Keep lifting. Lose more weight.

I hurt my calf muscle and took most of December off except for DDPYoga. I'm actually going to start training again in about 2.5 hours.

Other than that, I'm going to work on little things like being ahead on deadlines for work and spending less time on my phone.

I looked sexy as hell at 185. I'm still carrying more flesh through my torso and hips than I'd like.

The trick for that is to do cardio (preferably treadmill, none of that elliptical or bike bullshit)  immediately after weights.