DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

That's really shitty news about Almost Human, and just further reinforces my "wait two seasons before I invest" rule.  I legit got interested in this show, watched it every week, and now I feel like my time has been wasted.  It never fails.

Did you have something better to do at the time that you weren't doing? Otherwise I really don't see how it was wasted time. Now if a person watched a horrible show because they figured season 2 would be better and it got cancelled, now that would be wasting one's time. 

But it's good to hear that people enjoyed the show, I'll have to keep a look out for it when it hits Netflix or if all the episodes are still available on Hulu+ this summer.

What bothers me is that it actually had good ratings. It was doing better than most things on Fox.

Something getting canceled because it does terribly? Sure, it's sad, but I understand. But now they cancel stuff that does well too. Infuriating.

My only guess is that it cost too much to make and they weren't making enough in ad revenue to off set that? 

Yeah.  Supposedly, Fox was willing to renew the show contingent on the production company agreeing to fairly severe budget cuts.   I'm assuming the about face from a few weeks ago (when it was reported the show would be renewed).  meant that they couldn't agree on the numbers, when push came to shove.

I'm kinda surprised it seems to have developed such a following. 

That's really shitty news about Almost Human, and just further reinforces my "wait two seasons before I invest" rule.  I legit got interested in this show, watched it every week, and now I feel like my time has been wasted.  It never fails.

Did you have something better to do at the time that you weren't doing? Otherwise I really don't see how it was wasted time. Now if a person watched a horrible show because they figured season 2 would be better and it got cancelled, now that would be wasting one's time. 

But it's good to hear that people enjoyed the show, I'll have to keep a look out for it when it hits Netflix or if all the episodes are still available on Hulu+ this summer.

In a time when I'm trying to juggle two classes with a full time job, the free time I have is very limited.  If I chose to use it watching a show that I was becoming invested in, and it's suddenly gone, then yes it was absolutely wasted time.  That is time that I could have used on anything else.  I'm not a "Oh I'll catch it if it's on" kind of person.  If I watch something, it's because I've set aside the time to do so.

Guest Edwin

"Did you do cocaine for the show? Did you kill my dad in space for the show? Did you divorce me for the show?"

"Everything I do, I do for Ireland!"

Review's season finale was amazing. Comedy Central need to renew it for another season.

I thought Helix started out pretty interesting, but holy shit was that a terrible end of the season.

Yeah, it becomes a very different series (and a much less interesting one) after episode 7 or 8.  Once Jeri Ryan and the faceless Big Bad Corporation arrive, the show shifts gears and never bothers to go back to the things that worked for it in the beginning.  All the questions regarding the vectors, the evolutionary nature of the disease, and the main character's brother not only never get answered, they're basically brushed aside as being moot.

I loved the first eight eps.  By ep 13, I was wondering if I'll even bother watching season 2.

Sunday's episode of Revenge was fantastic.  Conrad went all evil, telling his daughter he could "erase her" like he had so many others.  The scene was over-the-top and fantastic.  And he got busted.  Awesome.  I'm sure there'll be a fourth season but this season has rebounded big-time from the mess that season 2 often was.

• Like 1

I missed the 3rd episode of FARGO but went ahead and watched the fourth last night...

And we got our first storyline link between the movie and the TV show, as there was a flashback where one of the characters found the briefcase full of money that Steve Buscemi's charactrer buried and marked with an ice scraper in the film.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/05/06/nbc-orders-drama-allegiance-to-series/261177/

Some new NBC shows:

Odyssey: This is the thrilling tale of families torn apart when a female Special Ops soldier in North Africa, a corporate lawyer, and a Wall Street activist each uncover the same conspiracy between a U.S. corporation, the government, and terrorism.

State of Affairs: Each day the president is faced with hundreds of life and death decisions, and to prioritize the biggest international crises facing the country, one top CIA analyst – Charleston Tucker (Katherine Heigl, “Grey’s Anatomy”) – assembles the president’s Daily Briefing (PDB).  This list of the most vital security issues facing the nation brings with it moral and political judgment calls for Charleston are her trusted group of brilliant analysts at the agency.  Aside from the political minefields she has to walk, Charlie has a close personal relationship with the president (Alfre Woodard, “Desperate Housewives”) because she was once engaged to her son before a tragic terrorist attack took his life.  Charlie survived that attack and is now determined to bring the perpetrators to justice.  Navigating a complex personal life and a pressure-cooker profession is, of course, a challenge, and Charlie sometimes engages in boundary-pushing behavior to avoid facing her grief.  But when the clock strikes 2 a.m., she is all about her job — protecting her nation, serving her president, and still trying to get to the bottom of her fiancé’s murder that will reveal itself as a shocking mystery.

Allegiance centers on Alex O’Connor, a young idealistic CIA analyst specializing in Russian affairs, who learns a shocking secret and his close-knit, affluent family is about to be split apart when its revealed that his parents, Mark (Scott Cohen) and Katya (Hope Davis) are covert Russian spies deactivated decades ago. But today the Kremlin has re-enlisted them into service as they plan a terrorist operation inside the U.S. border that will bring America to its knees.

Allegiance = The Americans

State of Affairs = Scandal.

I stopped reading the State Of Affairs description as soon as I saw Katherine Heigel.

So did pretty much every actor or actress they tried to get on the show as well.

I was certain before looking but checked IMDB to be sure, since it's the only way she gets work anymore:

Yep, Heigl's mom is an exec producer on the show

NBC has ordered half hour comedy Marry Me from Happy Endings creator David Caspe to series. Synopsis is below:

Six years ago, Annie (Casey Wilson, “Happy Endings”) and Jake (Ken Marino, “Eastbound & Down”) bonded over their mutual love of nachos and they’ve been inseparable ever since. Now, after returning from a romantic two-week island vacation, Jake’s all set to pop the question. Before he can ask, though, Annie lets loose on Jake for his inability to commit. She was expecting him to “put a ring on it” in paradise and now Jake’s perfect proposal is ruined. Not wanting to spend the next 60 years talking about that mess of a proposal, Jake and Annie decide to hold off on the engagement until they can do it right. Yet if history tells us anything, it’s when we really want things to go right that they all tend to go wrong. The only thing we know for sure is these two are destined to be together whether they can get it together or not.

Now there's a flimsy premise if ever I've heard one.

RE: Heigl. I'm sure she is a bit of a bitch on-set. But come on, guys like Charlie Sheen or Jonathan Rhys Meyers get shot after shot and they're bigger fuck ups than she's ever been. It just seems like she's quite arrogant and doesn't have great people skills. As long as she's turning up to work on time and not starting massive arguments with everyone around her, I don't think it's a big problem. She's probably too honest for her own good.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, but has anyone seen The Goldbergs?  I grew up in the 70's/Early 80's, but it's kind of a smart comedy with some funny stuff.  It's no Brooklyn 9-9, but I'm digging it in the same way that I liked "the middle" the first 2 seasons.

The anachronisms drove me mad in the promos for it, I think I made it through an episode.

It takes place in '83, but the first episode mentions Public Enemy a LOT, but they didn't even really form until 86, before that Chuck D's group was Spectrum City

Look, I've noticed that the pop culture references are a little off, but the guy that wrote it and is the showrunner was born in 1978 and it's supposedly based on his life.  So there's that.

• Like 1

Holy rosetta stone!  Move all the references up 6 years and everything lines up!

I may have to give The Goldbergs another chance.

Also, holy shit, I'm older than Adam Goldberg?

It really isn't a horrible show.  Jeff Garlin is great as is the guy that plays his older brother.

The kid that plays Adam is a pretty stereotypical nerdy guy....I think it's not too bad.