DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

I'm really surprised they put the belt back on Tanahashi.  He must be the only person they think can draw that the Tokyo Dome as I had assumed all along that either way Okada is winning the belt back then.  Just further proves that Tanahashi is still the #1 ace of the promotion and the wrestler they will always fall back on if needed.  Wonder where this leaves Styles going forward.

Nice to see Naofumi Yamamoto come back.  I think he has been away too long to gain a lot of traction in the promotion at this point but at least he gets to have some matches back 'home' before fading into the sunset.

I would be surprised if Takayuki Ueki will ever be anything other than comedy. His look and body are not a strong point of his. He has a toy gun gimmick right now where he threatens to shoot everyone in the ring.

Just an update, Ueki is now doing deathmatches.

For those fans of indy wrestling, GENTARO came back last spring after being out for two years after having a stroke.  I finally got a chance to watch one of his matches (from September), and he looks really healthy.  He appears to have bulked up, and even though I don't think he was ever the best wrestler in the world its nice to see someone return from that type of health issue to his old form.

I think I'm the only person who likes the new AJPW belt.

After holding it a few times I have an appreciation for it.  A full 3 plates thick at the center and by far the heaviest belt I've ever held.  That plus the side plates being designed after the original 3 belts.  I think it's awesome.

After ten years since his debut, Garuda now looks to be retired from pro-wrestling after only wrestling one match in 2010 and with no bookings in sight. Garuda has found a regular job where he sells kimichi to food markets to support his wife and new child.

• Like 1

I was listening to the Young Bucks on Colt Cabana's podcast and they talked about how in Japanese tag matches, the younger of the two wrestlers will also be the one who gets pinned.  Is this true or common knowledge because I've never heard that before.

I'm bizarrely interested in the "big" upcoming Wrestle-1 show, with Muto, Alberto, and Matt Hardy, even though common sense tells me it will be a pretty lacklustre affair in the ring. Just based on reading results, it seems like they've done a not half-bad job with their booking, storyline-wise.

I watched Nagata vs Hero earlier, decent match and all but I became a bit fixated with Hero slapping his belly for percussive effect on strikes. It looks less obvious than slapping the thigh or whatever but once you see it, it's all you can see.

Does it look like this?

tumblr_lny2c8LfXU1qz7olro1_500.gif

• Like 6