Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

2024 NHL OFFSEASON


RIPPA

Recommended Posts

Adams didn't sound like a guy who is going to hire another guy with no NHL experience. Lindy and Berube are the two names most people are thinking will get the gig.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The NHL has officially announced the sale and relocation of the Arizona Coyotes to Salt Lake City

The team will be renamed though it might have a temporary name for next season

Alex Meruelo retains the name, intellectual property and historical records of the Coyotes which is now considered an inactive franchise

EDIT - I should note that like the Jazz, the team will go by "Utah" and not "Salt Lake City"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rick Bowness has retired so add the Jets to the list of teams that need a head coach

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blues have removed the interim from Drew Bannister's title

Senators have hired Travis Green

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because teams will never learn - Utah is doing a fan vote for the new name

20 "finalists"

Frost, Ice, Powder, Mountaineers, Freeze, Mammoth, Black Diamonds, Blast, Caribou, Blizzard, Swarm, Hive, Outlaws, Yeti, Squall, Fury, Glaciers, Canyons, Venom and HC, which stands for Hockey Club.

I use quotes because they are announced as "finalists" but the Top 4 vote getters will advance to another round where... something will happen

I sure hope they had secured the trademarks on all those names before releasing the list

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Because teams will never learn - Utah is doing a fan vote for the new name

20 "finalists"

Frost, Ice, Powder, Mountaineers, Freeze, Mammoth, Black Diamonds, Blast, Caribou, Blizzard, Swarm, Hive, Outlaws, Yeti, Squall, Fury, Glaciers, Canyons, Venom and HC, which stands for Hockey Club.

I use quotes because they are announced as "finalists" but the Top 4 vote getters will advance to another round where... something will happen

I sure hope they had secured the trademarks on all those names before releasing the list

Most of them are the drizzling shits; Outlaws and Yeti would be acceptable, but rest? Yikes. I'm a casual hockey fan at best, but  none of those makes me want to reconsider my (very casual) Rangers fandom.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

And apparently they're not going to have a name going into next season, it's not supposed to debut until 2025-26. They're just going to have generic Utah jerseys for next year. Super embarrassing. This guy has apparently been angling for an NHL team for awhile, he doesn't already have a name and logo thought of? Shit, man, I had my own fictional hockey league with 200+ teams that I designed jerseys and logos for when I was 12.

Edited by elizium
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 8:21 PM, elizium said:

And apparently they're not going to have a name going into next season, it's not supposed to debut until 2025-26. They're just going to have generic Utah jerseys for next year. Super embarrassing. This guy has apparently been angling for an NHL team for awhile, he doesn't already have a name and logo thought of? Shit, man, I had my own fictional hockey league with 200+ teams that I designed jerseys and logos for when I was 12.

Fitting, given it's your city's old franchise.  Maybe they should hire you.

Reading the ESPN article about it, it's pretty clear what MASSIVE fuck-ups comprised the prior ownership group, and it's kind of fucking sad they're going to be rewarded for it by being bought out so they can make some ridiculous profits.  Always a good reminder that almost no one rich really earned it and the size of their bank account just multiplies the size of the dumbass mistakes they can make.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Dewar said:

New Jersey hired Sheldon Keefe. 

I'm constantly amazed at how the NHL employs some of the cringiest people on the entire planet.  WTF is this.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2024 at 11:39 AM, Kuetsar said:

Most of them are the drizzling shits; Outlaws and Yeti would be acceptable, but rest? Yikes. I'm a casual hockey fan at best, but  none of those makes me want to reconsider my (very casual) Rangers fandom.

The correct answer would have been the team going by Salt Lake City, so they could be the SLC Punk. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A *very* important thread by your cruel and despotic overlord, Gritty:

There's shade and then there's the guy ahead of me's at Genos did not order the cheesesteak. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bettman sorta got forced into saying the Panthers were likely playing one of the outdoor games next year. 

And that there are negotiations going on with LoanDepot Park in Miami to get the game there.  However, he conceded it would probably be up North with one of their new rivals (so, maybe Boston or New York?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d think many STH there are likely transplanted New Yorkers, so playing vs either the Rangers or Islanders in Citi Field or Yankee Stadium makes sense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Bettman sorta got forced into saying the Panthers were likely playing one of the outdoor games next year. 

And that there are negotiations going on with LoanDepot Park in Miami to get the game there.  However, he conceded it would probably be up North with one of their new rivals (so, maybe Boston or New York?)

Haven't they done this before with warm weather sites and it didn't go well?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Utah's official temporary name is Utah Hockey Club

That could end up being its real name as it is one of the finalists in the fan vote

The others still remaining besides UHC - Mammoth, Yeti, Outlaws, Blizzard and Venom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...