DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING 2024

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yes.  We live in the times of the $30 Hot Dog.  We deserve our fate. 

I'm not sure of the legitimacy, but there was some absurd concession prices on Twitter for F1 in Miami. $180 nachos, for instance. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I'm not sure of the legitimacy, but there was some absurd concession prices on Twitter for F1 in Miami. $180 nachos, for instance. 

TBF I think those prices were by the tray. Still ridiculous but not quite as ridiculous.

Speaking of F1, people were dissing Ed Sheeran for going to the F1 in Miami instead of watching Ipswich get promoted (since he sponsors the team). 

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

4-0 to the Palace. Dead man coaching.

"BUT I'VE NEVER HAD SO MANY INJURY ISSUES!!!"

I love that Munich seems to want him, but he's talking like he actually has a chance to stay at United.  

I'm praying for Zidane.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Pete said:

4-0 to the Palace. Dead man coaching.

5 hours ago, Raziel said:

I love that Munich seems to want him, but he's talking like he actually has a chance to stay at United.  

I'm praying for Zidane.

• This is the most defeats Manchester United have suffered in a Premier League season (13).
  • Manchester United have never finished below seventh in Premier League, they are currently eighth.
  • Since the start of last season, only Nottingham Forest (five) have lost more Premier League away games by a four goal margin or higher than Manchester United (three).
  • The Selhurst Park thrashing was Manchester United’s heaviest defeat of the season.
  • Manchester United have conceded 81 goals in all competitions this season, their most in a campaign since 1976-77 (also 81).
  • They have not finished a season on a minus goal difference since the 1989-90 Division One season. They are currently on -1.
  • Manchester United’s expected goals on Monday was 0.35 – their second worst of the season.

Manchester United still have to play Arsenal, Newcastle United, Brighton in the Premier League. The last game of the season vs. Manchester City in the FA Cup Final.

Edited by The Natural

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

• This is the most defeats Manchester United have suffered in a Premier League season (13).
  • Manchester United have never finished below seventh in Premier League, they are currently eighth.
  • Since the start of last season, only Nottingham Forest (five) have lost more Premier League away games by a four goal margin or higher than Manchester United (three).
  • The Selhurst Park thrashing was Manchester United’s heaviest defeat of the season.
  • Manchester United have conceded 81 goals in all competitions this season, their most in a campaign since 1976-77 (also 81).
  • They have not finished a season on a minus goal difference since the 1989-90 Division One season. They are currently on -1.
  • Manchester United’s expected goals on Monday was 0.35 – their second worst of the season.

Manchester United still have to play Arsenal, Newcastle United, Brighton in the Premier League. The last game of the season vs. Manchester City in the FA Cup Final.

Any other top team in the world would sack their manager with that league record.

15 hours ago, Raziel said:

I'm praying for Zidane.

The attacking hasn't been inspired in many years, but this team is just really rough to watch defensively. It's unacceptable, and I'm not sure how they get back to prominence. 

Come on Bayern, I need an all-Bundesliga CL final in which Dortmund finally gets one over on Bayern (and Harry Kane stays without a big title in his career, because it's funny to me). 

Though if you got awarded a quarter of a goal for every time you hit the post, PSG damn near would have pushed it to extra time in this Dortmund tie. 

"Games of football are played over 90 minutes, or until Leverkusen are no longer losing"

Sooner or later, they're going to admit that they're staging these results, right? It's RIDICULOUS how many games they've tied and won from like the 87th minute onward. It's nearly Roller Derby-esk

• Like 1

Invoking the name of "John Lundstram" is going to be a curse for generations to come of Glasgow Rangers fans. Within 10 minutes, he gave up an own goal and then got sent off for an overly forceful tackle. 2-1. Rangers down to 10, at Celtic Park... Rangers have more than all to do.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Today is the 39th anniversary of the Bradford City Valley Parade fire disaster. My Dad's friend was one of the 56 lives lost with many injured. My thoughts are with them xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 3

Holstein Kiel vs Fortuna Dusseldorf in a promotion six-pointer later today in 2. Bundesliga. If Kiel win:

1. Kiel will be promoted to the Bundesliga for the first time in club history;
  2. Dusseldorf will be locked into the third place Pro/Rel playoff;
  3. St Pauli will be promoted to the Bundesliga before they even play tomorrow.

As you were, lads.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Today is the 39th anniversary of the Bradford City Valley Parade fire disaster. My Dad's friend was one of the 56 lives lost with many injured. My thoughts are with them xxx.

I was only two months old. I met a man called Terry Slocombe in 1998 who helped me with his charity. I've been friends with him and the charity ever since. I'd later learn he was a hero that dreadful day:

https://spink.com/media/view?id=331

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hero-cop-who-saved-lives-9287507

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I do think the Bradford City Valley Parade fire disaster doesn't get talked about like other tragedies, doesn't get the coverage. There should be a mandatory minutes silence like Hillsborough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

I do think the Bradford City Valley Parade fire disaster doesn't get talked about like other tragedies, doesn't get the coverage. There should be a mandatory minutes silence like Hillsborough.

I think it gets overshadowed in part because of the Heysel Stadium disaster that took place a little over 2 weeks later and it's historical role in the hooligan epidemic that plagued the sport in England. 

Here is a documentary someone on YouTube did on the disaster for anyone not familiar with what happened. 

https://youtu.be/yqss3tvgrII?si=mQ6E5p-ccdwmvW3b

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Holstein Kiel vs Fortuna Dusseldorf in a promotion six-pointer later today in 2. Bundesliga. If Kiel win:

1. Kiel will be promoted to the Bundesliga for the first time in club history;
  2. Dusseldorf will be locked into the third place Pro/Rel playoff;
  3. St Pauli will be promoted to the Bundesliga before they even play tomorrow.

As you were, lads.

Kiel only drew, but this is enough to put them through. I'm really happy, holding back tears of joy. They were awfully close a few times, but this year was an absolute miracle run. Despite the early promotion, they never outclassed any team and are probably mid-table on player quality alone. I love football as a teamsport, therefore it warms my heart to see a team overperform and achieve success. 

St. Pauli is my first team, but this promotion means even more. There are motorcades and byciclecades passing in my street. 😃

This is the first Bundesliga team ever from the Bundesland (state/county) Schleswig-Holstein. 

St. Pauli need a point tomorrow. I hope to have both my teams promoted, but right now I'm just happy. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

St. Pauli need a point tomorrow. I hope to have both my teams promoted, but right now I'm just happy. 

With Dusseldorf getting held, FCSP need 1 point from their final two matches against Osnabruck (already relegated) and Weisbaden (relegation dogfight). For their sake I hope they do the business tomorrow, because otherwise that final day could get insane for everyone.

• Like 1

Forest lose late to Chelsea 2-3 but are all but safe unless they lose at already-relegated Burnley and Luton beat Fulham with a 12-goal swing next Sunday.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Pete said:

Forest lose late to Chelsea 2-3 but are all but safe unless they lose at already-relegated Burnley and Luton beat Fulham with a 12-goal swing next Sunday.

It's going to be a boring final day with relegation already decided and I can't see Manchester City dropping the points that Arsenal need to win the Premier League. It's going to be four in a row for Manchester City. Feel for Arsenal this year and Liverpool x2 under Jurgen Klopp as any other points total would have won those years.

Edited by The Natural