DVDVR Message Board

2024 VIDEO GAMES CATCH ALL THREAD

17 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/video-games/2024/best-video-games-2024/

Baltro got the lead mention in an article in the Washington Post about the games of 2024

(other games mentioned: FF VII Rebirth, Palworld, Helldivers 2, Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown, Tekken 8, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Unicorn Overlord, and Dragon's Dogma 2)

I fucking hate that WaPo fired everyone on their games journalism team except Gene Park, because they were the only old-school media outlet giving video games the same treatment as movies and music, but Park himself remains a great critic and journo. Also, this was a good piece.

12 hours ago, dragonzombie said:

I wanna buy Street Fighter Alpha Anthology.

God yes. The absence of Alpha 2 Gold and Alpha 3 Upper, which were arcade releases in Japan but console-exclusive in the West, is the 1 big miss in the 30th Anniversary collection

• Like 1

EA sale on Steam, so I am now the proud owner of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen and the remade Mass Effect trilogy. Maybe I'll actually figure out how to play ME this time....

• Haha 1

For the Super Famicom, Data East released Fighter's History: Mizoguchi Kiki Ippatsu!!. In 1995. Mizoguchi became the main character. The story mode is a gag-adventure story that stars Mizoguchi. The game is both Karnov's Revenge/Fighter's History Dynamite for the Super Famicom and the 3rd fighting game in the series, but certain characters were omitted, but Chelnov from another Data East game, Atomic Runner Chelnov, was added.

The game was released internationally in 2017 in the Data East Classic Collection for SNES. 

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Fighter's History games gets an update in the future. 

On 4/8/2024 at 1:10 PM, SirSmUgly said:

After getting way into playing the AKI games, I decided to flesh out my tiny N64 collection before cart prices got any higher.

I procured a used copy of Super Smash Bros. for only five dollars more than its launch price (and this, figuring inflation into the mix, for a reasonable price considering that it's a 25-year-old used game).

This will be a highly curated collection, and the only time that I plan to spend more than I did on Smash is on a copy of Paper Mario. Everything else should be stuff on the margins that I never got to own when I originally got an N64 back in the day.

+1 for the n64 love. i still have my launch day system (with the Expansion Pack from DK64 of course). I own 64 games because i thought that was a fitting amount. Smash Bros. is in my collection, but Paper Mario is not. While i will always prefer Goldeneye, Perfect Dark is objectively the better game in basically every way.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, twiztor said:

+1 for the n64 love. i still have my launch day system (with the Expansion Pack from DK64 of course). I own 64 games because i thought that was a fitting amount. Smash Bros. is in my collection, but Paper Mario is not. While i will always prefer Goldeneye, Perfect Dark is objectively the better game in basically every way.

Perfect Dark is good, but playing a single-analog shooter is like doing organic chemistry to me at this point. 

I bought Hybrid Heaven specifically because I heard about all the cool wrestling moves that you can do in the turn-based battles. I'll have to dig into it later.

I have about sixteen or eighteen more games on the list, so I'm only aiming for about forty carts, but we'll see if I change my mind down the road. 

Needed something cute after dealing with bullshit late this week, so installed a copy of Cat Quest that I've had in my Steam list forever. This definitely qualifies as cute (and simple).

This is a potentially dumb question, but:

Currently, I can’t connect my 360 to my WiFi because of, I guess, it‘s WiFi 6 or something. It worked just fine at my other place, but I moved, and Xfinity upgraded or something I guess, because there I had WiFi 5. Anyway, the only current workaround I see is setting up a dedicated router for my 360. I’m getting Ethernet soon, but I’m not sure if that would solve it either. If it does, then I’m good to go. But anyway, my question is..

if I play a 360 game offline, and get achievements, will they pop/show up when I log into my Series X? Both consoles use the same Xbox profile, I can view non-BC games’ trophy list on my Series X, so… yeah.

I really want to start Stranglehold, and finish X-Men Destiny, but I don’t want to do it if I’ll lose my progress/achievements.

I miss memory cards tbh. Constantly needing an internet connection sucks sometimes.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2024 at 1:46 PM, JLSigman said:

Needed something cute after dealing with bullshit late this week, so installed a copy of Cat Quest that I've had in my Steam list forever. This definitely qualifies as cute (and simple).

FYI, Cat Quest II is free this week on Epic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

This is a potentially dumb question, but:

Currently, I can’t connect my 360 to my WiFi because of, I guess, it‘s WiFi 6 or something. It worked just fine at my other place, but I moved, and Xfinity upgraded or something I guess, because there I had WiFi 5. Anyway, the only current workaround I see is setting up a dedicated router for my 360. I’m getting Ethernet soon, but I’m not sure if that would solve it either. If it does, then I’m good to go. But anyway, my question is..

if I play a 360 game offline, and get achievements, will they pop/show up when I log into my Series X? Both consoles use the same Xbox profile, I can view non-BC games’ trophy list on my Series X, so… yeah.

I really want to start Stranglehold, and finish X-Men Destiny, but I don’t want to do it if I’ll lose my progress/achievements.

I miss memory cards tbh. Constantly needing an internet connection sucks sometimes.

So, there shouldn't be an issue, as all WiFi 6 routers are back compatible to previous standards.  The 360's DNS settings might be clogged, so you should probably reset the 360's network settings.  But, just connecting a cable from the router to the 360 will fix the network anyway.

To pop the trophies, you're going to need to take the 360 online at some point for it to sync.  

• Sad 1

Zen announced that PinballFX will drop the GaaS aspects; you have til August to buy coins and til December to spend them; the Pinball Pass will end after that. They also said that there will only be one Williams pack this year, and it'll be "end of year" and have 3 tables (no word on which they are)

On 5/4/2024 at 4:46 PM, JLSigman said:

Finished the main quest after about 9 hours? There's several New Game + related achievements that I may or may not go back to later. Time for Cat Quest II!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Zen announced that PinballFX will drop the GaaS aspects; you have til August to buy coins and til December to spend them; the Pinball Pass will end after that. They also said that there will only be one Williams pack this year, and it'll be "end of year" and have 3 tables (no word on which they are)

At least they're doing more Williams games. Was beginning to think they'd given up on those. Wish they'd work on performance. FX definitely feels less responsive to me than FX3. And without much change in fidelity.