DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK ELEVEN

Dolfan in NYC

There is practically no excuse for a team as talented as the Bills to have two...TWO fucking games like this this year. I feel sorry for all of the real Bills fans (by real I mean people not like me who are just rooting for the Bills because my teams are historically bad and most of my friends and family are long time Bills fans*)

*I was invited to go to a game in Buffalo this season though! I had to pass because it was a weekend with my older daughter. I was told I missed out on an awesome tailgate.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

There is practically no excuse for a team as talented as the Bills to have two...TWO fucking games like this this year. I feel sorry for all of the real Bills fans (by real I mean people not like me who are just rooting for the Bills because my teams are historically bad and most of my friends and family are long time Bills fans*)

*I was invited to go to a game in Buffalo this season though! I had to pass because it was a weekend with my older daughter. I was told I missed out on an awesome tailgate.

There's been more than two. Mcdermott's got to go as well, but  Dorsey is a start.

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Bills have fired Ken Dorsey as OC

EDIT - before you get too excited, the interim OC is Joe Brady

I'm not saying Dorsey shouldn't be fired but I'm not sure it's his fault that Josh Allen thinks the ball is a gift to be given away as often as possible. 

• Like 1

WTF. The hit in question was Ja’Marr Chase sliding at the last second as Perryman was going for a form tackle and wrap up his legs. Stupid rule, nonsense enforcement, and of course unequally implemented. Stroud took a few helmet to helmet hits during the game no-call of course.

15 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I'm not saying Dorsey shouldn't be fired but I'm not sure it's his fault that Josh Allen thinks the ball is a gift to be given away as often as possible. 

No, but when the running game is going through Denver like a hot knife(with fumbles, yes) maybe running the ball might be an idea.?

17 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

WTF. The hit in question was Ja’Marr Chase sliding at the last second as Perryman was going for a form tackle and wrap up his legs. Stupid rule, nonsense enforcement, and of course unequally implemented. Stroud took a few helmet to helmet hits during the game no-call of course.

He hit Chase with the crown of his helmet. 

I'm not going to shed any tears over Dorsey, but I'm surprised they made a non-bye week change. As someone that has watched way too many Bills games I could theorize as to why now. The run game has worked but not been used. Allen has clearly been told by coaches to run less even though that's a big part of his game (was it Dorsey or McDermott?). James Cook being benched for multiple series last night when he was their most dynamic player (again, was that Dorsey or McDermott). The seeming unwillingness to call and/or execute short passes over the middle/screens that tend to work but aren't called on often. Its been a frustrating year.

I wouldn't support firing McDermott mid-season or probably at all, after the season the brains can get together and see if they can figure out the source of the problem. I think McDermott is a good coach, sports fans always want coaches fired and then complain when the next coach is worse. If you ask Bills fans they haven't had a good coach since Levy (winning = good, no other criteria), but no one ever considers "will the next one be better?". Bills fans complained about Daboll, then complained about Dorsey, its a never ending story. But making an OC change is easier, and with the weapons they have they have to do better. Time will tell if it helps or not.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tabe said:

He hit Chase with the crown of his helmet. 

Chase started his slide after Perryman started his tackle. If the offensive player lowers his head into the hit box it shouldn’t be a penalty. What’s a defender looking to hit legs supposed to do? Not a dirty hit.

2 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Chase started his slide after Perryman started his tackle. If the offensive player lowers his head into the hit box it shouldn’t be a penalty. What’s a defender looking to hit legs supposed to do? Not a dirty hit.

I think the hit was worthy of a penalty, but I'm not generally a fan of suspensions being given out for "bang bang" plays as the kids would say. If a QB slides and a defender hits him helmet to helmet its going to be a flag too, sliding players always get the benefit of the doubt. But suspensions should be saved for more malicious/intentional acts and of course repeat offenders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

I didn't mention Chase's slide. His slide is irrelevant. He hit Chase with the crown of his helmet. Period. 

I sympathize with defenders who get penalized for "late" hits on slides that start after a guy starts his tackle or "high hits" that are only high because a runner ducked or whatever. But... crown of the helmet is crown of the helmet. 

6 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

No, but when the running game is going through Denver like a hot knife(with fumbles, yes) maybe running the ball might be an idea.?

This is unusually basic situation IMO, if I could have 1 question answered. Who up and sold out to the run in the middle of that game? Because whoever did coached a good game. That sounds to basic to be true I know but not when you consider how these days an NFL coach WILL NOT DO ANYTHING BUT WHAT HE GAME PLANNED TO DO in a close game and will only finally change when it changes to passing in garbage time.

Somebody threw the game plan book out the window and called a play until it quit working. I know Dorsey wasn’t a favorite but I if that was his idea he got f#€%+. I realize it could have been McD’s idea, complete with him having to tell the OC “don’t quit running it til it quits working dammat” but if he was doing such a good job coaching there wouldn’t have been so many enormous mistakes in the other phases of the game. Furthermore I wouldn’t need much convincing that when asked wtf happened this morning, McD blamed Dorsey so’s he wouldn’t be the 1 to get fired. 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So to get ANY benefit from Deshaun the Browns will have to use him when his contract will be at most bloated and use of the cap.   That really isn't what they wanted.   

Lie down with a predator and give him a guaranteed contract, you get fleas. . .

• Like 4