DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON 2023

RIPPA

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Nez Balelo, line 1.

Sucks for Grandpa Rossy. I hope the Cubs gave him a heads up and otherwise take care of him... but this sounds like they're going all-in for 2024.

The Brewers owner is inching close to doing a baseball version of Bill Watts saying JYD left Mid-South due to the tough competition

edit: if I go to an April 2000 ECW TV show, will I get to watch Joey Styles talk about how Mike Awesome has lost the ECW community by going to WCW?

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

In other news...  ICHIRO IS 50 GOD DAMNED YEARS OLD.

I guarantee you, he could still hit above .250 in the majors if he really wanted to.

That... was a bomb. 

Never forget Ichiro also holds the all-time record with a 94mph "first pitch" before a game. When he was 48. 

• Like 1

The players who received QO were

Shohei Ohtani (Angels)
Cody Bellinger (Cubs)
Matt Chapman (Blue Jays)
Sonny Gray (Twins)
Josh Hader (Padres)
Aaron Nola (Phillies)
Blake Snell (Padres)

the Angels job is what it is right now (the Angels fire their non-Scioscia managers a lot), but I am happy that Wash is gonna get a managerial job with someone else post-Rangers instead of it being like Cito Gaston where he won two World Series, got fired, and then only managed again because the Jays hired him back

the AL West was dangerously close to not having any good managers who get dumped on consistently after Dusty retired. Also Ron Washington is a Royals Academy graduate (but he never played for the Royals in the Majors unlike Frank White or UL Washington)

Reportedly the Yanks offered their bench coach position to David Ross who told the team that he would prefer to manage somewhere next season

Granted spots are filling up quick and Ross apparently isn't being considered for any of the current vacancies

The other reported person NY is interested in is Brad Ausmus

So yes - it really does come across as the front office lining up Aaron Boone's replacement

On 11/6/2023 at 1:22 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Mets have hired Carlos Mendoza as their manager.

Mendoza will wear #28 on his uniform.  When asked why at today's presser, he said "Because I'll lead the Mets to a World Championship before the Yankees get their 28th ring."

In other news from Queens:

....step right up and greet the Mets!

• Haha 2

The Brewers appear to be promoting long time bench coach Pat Murphy to manager

Murphy did manage almost 100 games for the Padres in 2015 after Bud Black was fired in what seems like another lifetime ago

Corbin Carroll and Gunnar Henderson were each unanimous selections for Rookie of the Year

Because both started the season in the major leagues and were ranked among the top 100 prospects in baseball, both the D-Backs and Orioles will receive an additional first-round pick in 2024 as part of the Prospect Promotion Incentive that the players' union pushed for in collective-bargaining negotiations to discourage service-time manipulation.

Cleveland Guardians right-hander Tanner Bibee finished 2nd and in doing so was granted a full year of service time (he didn't debut until the end of April)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

One step closer to becoming the Nashville Padres

On one hand, Portland Padres has alliteration. On the other hand, it’s actually harder to build stuff in Portland than California.

But to be more tasteful, not sure how MLB ownership groups handle it when the main owner dies. It’s not quite the NFL where at least half the owners inherited teams.

The least complex change would be that Ron Fowler returns to be the main owner at least for a period of time. But I’d think that somebody else is about to join the group.