DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 8/28 - 9/3/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Well, that was a hell of a week...  back to the regularly scheduled stuff, because there's a PLE this Saturday. 

We begin though, by watching our favorite Murder Bear opening a potato factory on Dom:

You can see the millisecond where KO gets legitimately furious that Dom didn't bump and it's just glorious from there.

• Haha 8

28 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, that was a hell of a week...  back to the regularly scheduled stuff, because there's a PLE this Saturday. 

We begin though, by watching our favorite Murder Bear opening a potato factory on Dom:

You can see the millisecond where KO gets legitimately furious that Dom didn't bump and it's just glorious from there.

Missed this. Cheers.

Well, just thinking about it, there are essentially 4 guys on SDL you'd bring in a John Cena for to put over:

1) Grayson Waller  (this is probably it) 

2) LA Knight  (face vs. face with Cena as the main event gatekeeper)

3) Solo Sikoa (see above, but face vs. heel)

4) Karrion Kross (lol no) 

The only other thing that remotely makes sense is a heel turned AJ Styles, but he really should be the next one to go after Roman to put the Bloodline Civil War on the backburner as they burn time til next Mania.  Everyone else is either not ready or is a waste of Cena's limited time. 

5 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, just thinking about it, there are essentially 4 guys on SDL you'd bring in a John Cena for to put over:

1) Grayson Waller  (this is probably it) 

2) LA Knight  (face vs. face with Cena as the main event gatekeeper)

3) Solo Sikoa (see above, but face vs. heel)

4) Karrion Kross (lol no) 

The only other thing that remotely makes sense is a heel turned AJ Styles, but he really should be the next one to go after Roman to put the Bloodline Civil War on the backburner as they burn time til next Mania.  Everyone else is either not ready or is a waste of Cena's limited time. 

Wouldn't mind Cena vs WALTER 

Wasn't all there mentally for Sami/Priest, but I dug what I caught including the finish and post match with Owens and JD.

Missed some of the first third of New Day vs. Viking Raiders, but that built into a pretty darn good match. Thought the chaotic finish worked well.

The Miz's segment was fine with a solid impression and mockery of Knight by Miz.

Gable/Kaiser was damn good stuff, possibly Kaiser's best singles match in WWE. Even the screwy finish didn;t bring it out down for me as it worked for the angle with Imperium.

Ciampa/Reed was good fun despite the botched finish. Glad to see Ciampa finally pick up a win. 

The Seth/Nakamura segment was good. thought Seth's promo was one of his better ones. I liked how Seth started off with his general braggart character only to break down fired up and ready to beat Nakamura's ass after Nakamura's promo vid. The Nakamura vid was good, and the sneak attack at the end was a nice heel move that had the crowd pissed at Nakamura.

Becky/Zoey was good. I liked that they didn't ignore the 2 on 1 aspect with Trish helping out plenty of times and needing to be taken out before Becky could fully shine. The finishing stretch with tables was good as well and got the crowd pretty excited. Only arguable down mark for me was Trish catching poor Zoey with that first chair she threw in the ring. Glad Zoey was alright, but damn was it hard not to laugh. Kind of shocked it hasn't happened before now when people just throw shit in the ring without looking. Feels like it was only a matter of time. 

Thought tonight was a generally good show. I liked most of the segments and every match was at least solid if not really good. Was nice to see the armband tributes to Bray and Funk. Seth even had Fiend plates on his title. Felt sorry for Becky at the end. She was breaking down after she held up her band to celebrate.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Since when did they start respecting the brand split? Haven't Judgement Day been on all the shows while being Raw talent?

I think it was just once with Rhea and Dom because they were on the Mexico super shows happening that weekend.

• Like 1

So what's the deal with this Heritage Cup tournament thingy? Is this an event, or just, like, a match per show? First thing that's really interested me about NXT in a while. 

2 hours ago, Dog said:

So what's the deal with this Heritage Cup tournament thingy? Is this an event, or just, like, a match per show? First thing that's really interested me about NXT in a while. 

Tournament to decide Dar's next challenger for the next NXT PLE if I recall correctly. Should be a couple of matches each show.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dog said:

Groups:

A - Axiom, Butch, Bate, Dempsey

B - Coffey, Duke Hudson, Frazer, and Tozawa.

Round robin, 12 minute matches, 2 points for a win, 1 point for a draw. Finals on the 26th.

First two matches tonight with Coffey/Frazer and Butch/Dempsey. 

So they'll have to do three to four matches a week unless they do some on Level Up or live events.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dog said:

Trophy for the info, though I don't want to have to sift through regular programming to find the stuff. 😩

NXT is the better show in WWE generally speaking. You tend to get 2 or more actively good matches a week. That should be the case here. Even the weakest participants are solid.

• Like 1

Enjoyed both the round robin matches. Butch-Dempsey was my match of the night though I couldn't stop thinking how much DEAN would have dug it!

That said it was not my favourite moment of the night...That was Booker T, calling Lola Vices match, shouting "Look at the Vice! Look at the Vice!" Followed possibly by "Scotty!" (?) before Vic very calmly and seriously asked "Why are you sweating?"

Edited by caley

Creed Brothers vs. Dyad was fucking great beginning to end. Loved Brutus being kidnapped before the match began, the awesome 2 on 1 stuff with Julius showcasing early on before the simple struggle to survive, Brutus's wonderful Hulkout return. Honestly, this deserved to be on a PLE. Easily one of my favorite NXT matches this year and up there among the best from this year.

Butch/Dempsey was good. Regal's wouldbe son vs. his actual son did not disappoint in the slightest. 

Elektra/Lola vs. Dana/Jordan was short but nice with everyone looking good. Lopez and Vice are coming along well as a team. Did not realize how popular Vice already is with NXT crowd.

Dijak/Thorpe was good. Not super long but the action was good, and they managed to somehow draw it out in a way where it felt timed just right. Might be the best Thorpe has looked so far.

Joe Coffey vs. Frazer. Similar to the last one where they timed it all well with plenty of action while not feeling overly rushed.

The Chase U segment was decent. Kind of like the idea of someone being a bad influence on Thea. Not sure if I like it being Jacy though it works for now.

The women's 4-way was pretty good. There was a lot of nice action that was executed mostly well. Was happy to see be a free for all from beginning to end with no real temp friendships or anything. Thought this was the best Gigi has looked in NXT thus far. The finish with Kiana worked well as a cheap move while still giving her a decent amount of credit via taking two people out.

Don't think Kiana is the best choice to face Stratton unless they want her to have a face reaction, but the match should be solid at worst. Kiana isn't terribly charismatic, but she knows her character and has been one of the more solid prospects in NXT the past year which makes more sense after finding out Spears and Breeze gave Kiana her initial training.

Pretty good episode of NXT overall. Dug every match and the segments were generally short and decent. I like where they are going on their way to Ilja/Melo II as far as Melo's character goes. Seeing WWE do a Japanese style tournament is neat and surprising. Should be good considering all of the participants involved. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1