DVDVR Message Board

Starfield Omnibus Thread

9 hours ago, Contentious C said:

OMG, what the fuck.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nominal

5th definition.

Yes, when you say that yours systems are functioning "nominally" then they are working according to "exactly what it says on the tin."

Your sensors are sensing.  Your weapons can spit death of the appropriate flavor, and so forth.

The US Navy and the US Air Force love to use "nominally" as a term.  If you ask an Airman if his system status is Green, he will say "No, because it's not a US Army system."

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

Okay - Sarah and I are sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g so I am finally get the 15% XP bonus for sleeping

It's funny because I have been to the Sol system a bunch of times already but had totally missed New Hempstead and I am not sure I would have found it if it wasn't for coming across some Colonists who were all PLEASE TAKE US HOME!!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Okay - Sarah and I are sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g so I am finally get the 15% XP bonus for sleeping

It's funny because I have been to the Sol system a bunch of times already but had totally missed New Hempstead and I am not sure I would have found it if it wasn't for coming across some Colonists who were all PLEASE TAKE US HOME!!!

So have you taken her to Paradiso?   If you do, make sure you buy her some swimwear.

It looks like Andreja may end up being my life partner despite her being a bugfuck crazy ex-House Va'ruun devotee since she is the best companion to have with you if stealth is paramount.  Now I need to pray that a Legendary stealth particle weapon drops so that I can gift one to her.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It looks like Andreja may end up being my life partner despite her being a bugfuck crazy ex-House Va'ruun devotee since she is the best companion to have with you if stealth is paramount.

I don't know about you, but I've been looking for a woman who worships a giant snake.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, J.T. said:

So have you taken her to Paradiso?

22 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Is that a euphemism? 🙂

22 hours ago, supremebve said:

I don't know about you, but I've been looking for a woman who worships a giant snake.

I admittedly did not check my calendar this morning.  I had no idea that today was National Hollywood Cibernetico Day.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 4

Grrr... so of course I switch to a ship with better cargo and crew space and immediately run into a space battle I can't fucking win with this boat

So I am gonna have to flip back to the Frontier and do some cargo hold juggling

I romanced Sarah and she immediately jumped to deciding on a wedding date. The fuck? Man, the future is weird. All I said was I loved her and she reciprocated in kind and then took it way further than I imagined.

Maybe I should have just settled for some space poon in Neon.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Grrr... so of course I switch to a ship with better cargo and crew space and immediately run into a space battle I can't fucking win with this boat

So I am gonna have to flip back to the Frontier and do some cargo hold juggling

Class B's, while having massive cargo, SUUUUUUUUUUCK at combat.  

Best bets I've seen for all arounders is just mod a class A with bigger cargo bays (you'll have to put a couple more engines on to keep the mobility up).

I've been toying around with Frontier upgrades but keep going overboard with the habs and it gets too expensive.  

I can't remember who said it but using the flight simulator in the UC Questline to level up your piloting was a genius. I went from Piloting 1 to 4 in no time since I already had some points saved up. Thank you! Time to get a class C ship when I get home!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Contentious C said:

OMG, what the fuck.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nominal

5th definition.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yes, when you say that yours systems are functioning "nominally" then they are working according to "exactly what it says on the tin."

Your sensors are sensing.  Your weapons can spit death of the appropriate flavor, and so forth.

The US Navy and the US Air Force love to use "nominally" as a term.  If you ask an Airman if his system status is Green, he will say "No, because it's not a US Army system."

Okay, fair enough. I was relying on the OED online, not realizing the free version only shows you the word's primary definition. Checking it while connected to UofT's VPN get me the full list, and nestled in among the dozen or so meanings that actually make some sense etymologically was the one you cited. Apparently it only dates back to 1961 and is originally and still chiefly used in astronautics. I'm pretty sure I've never encountered it outside those two Bethesda games, but then, I'm not an astronaut.

You win this round, Bethesda. Contentious C, you get an assist.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I think I have to invest WAY more points to be able to upgrade the ships better - we will see

Irritated that I have my first failed mission - all due to a bugged quest

So, ship building/upgrading is locked behind Design, Piloting, and Character Level.  There's enough decent stuff in the weapons/cargo/engines/reactor Class A tier that you can build without any levels in Design/Piloting, especially for the Frontier.

19 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Apparently it only dates back to 1961 and is originally and still chiefly used in astronautics. I'm pretty sure I've never encountered it outside those two Bethesda games, but then, I'm not an astronaut.

Aha.  If that is the case then we're talking about "nominal" as being shorthand for "within the tolerances of the nominal value" which is engineering speak for "within prescribed limits" or "the acceptable measurement plus / minus from the baseline value or an optimal value."

In Starfield, when the engine on your ship is in the "sweet spot" it is functioning nominally as far as how effectively you will be able to maneuver while in combat.  If you are rolling with throttle up, your engine is not nominal in relation to combat actions, but that doesn't mean that you'll die if you don't slow down.

"Nominal Values" depend on what you are trying to accomplish under certain conditions and those conditions don't necessarily have to be life or death.  It could just be a tradeoff between effectiveness and efficiency.

TL:DR:  Yes, you are correct. ""All systems are nominal" technically is not using the word "nominal" within the context of the word itself.  What they mean is that the systems are functioning within the nominal values of performance, whatever that measure of performance may be.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I think I have to invest WAY more points to be able to upgrade the ships better - we will see

Irritated that I have my first failed mission - all due to a bugged quest

Not only that,  you get more parts every 10 levels or so. I was trying to build something off the internet the other day and apparently I need to be level 60 to get all the necessary parts.