DVDVR Message Board

Starfield Omnibus Thread

So after several space combat incidents, I really need to either get something more suited to combat or screw around with the editor to build something with more firepower/shields than the Frontier, as I'm barely getting through these scraps in space.

Yeah, the ship tutorial makes it sound like the only option in space combat if you are getting pounded is to hit the grav drive and jump away.

I am not fond of running from fights in RPGs.  Dead Enemies = Loot.

Plus, I am under the impression from the brief chats I've had with the Constellation crew is that Discovery / Frontier class ships are not built for war.

Edited by J.T.

14 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am certain that Bethesda designed the digipick system just to infuriate me.  RNG lockpicking minigames are bullshit.

Wait, what? There's no random numbers involved in Starfield's lockpicking minigame. It's just a straightforward geometric puzzle. (One I quite like, as it happens.)

• Like 1

Scanning tips:

For fish and flying creatures you can scan them at a distance, don't have to wait for them to land or beach.

Beetles are scavengers so wait for a hunting animal to kill a prey animal and the beetles will appear. 

If you're not sure what fauna you're missing, if you go to land on water and the landing point says 0% then it's a fish. 

I now have to decide between Crimson Fleet and the feds and I hate the characters from both, it's a conundrum. Think being a member of Crimson Fleet works out better financially over the long term...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

Wait, what? There's no random numbers involved in Starfield's lockpicking minigame. It's just a straightforward geometric puzzle. (One I quite like, as it happens.)

Oh, I love the puzzles.  It's just that sealed containers in the first mission rarely unlock on the first try and unlike ES games, a lockpick / digipick will be consumed whether you fail and retry the lock or succeed and open the container. 

This leaves you with precious few opportunities to access all of the sealed containers and open the locked door during the lowbie mission on Kreet, unless you are really lucky and RNG is kind and you find extra digipicks on the dead scientists or pirates you kill.

To be fair, this only bothered me during the intro lowbie mission.  Now that I have access to vendors, I'll always keep a respectable supply of security tools on me.

TLDR:  Don't mind me.  I am an angry old man that has OCD and FOMO in horribly large quantities when it comes to RPGs.

Edited by J.T.

So in fiddling around with Ship Building, I'm about 90% sure that power management is a biggest consideration, since to get the most out of your weapons, they HAVE to be at full power, regardless of what their "stats" are.  I just wish power management was better on Console as it's really rough to move stuff around in the middle of combat.  I need to drop creds on different ship models to really play, but the Frontier's lack of combat ability even WITH upgrades has me wanting to speed run the Rangers storyline so I get that Ranger ship that's a shield melter.

Edited by Raziel

Without spoilers, I will say pushing the main quest past at least "Into the Unknown" is a good call.

I'm in Freestar Collective space right now with Same Coe. Feels very much like the Fallout portion of the best-of-Bethesda tour and I am here for it.

Honestly I love the vibe of this game. It's doing that time melting thing.

• Like 1

Captain Nova’s journeys have gone well, though she’s mainly focused on two things now: Research (cause duh, that’s the shit she was born for) and turning the Frontier into the finest ship in space. She’s became an incredibly talented pilot, and is oh so close to getting her ability to pilot C class ships. She also completely finished her scan of the Sol system, and is selling the data to cover more ship upgrades She will pay back her mortgage…. At some point. Really the 500 dollar payments aren’t bad. And sending back money to her parents has been more then worth it, mom and pop are sweet and keep doing tons of things to support me…. Including givingn me some absurd stuff. Thanks dad on your ability to play cards. God bless a Straight Flush.

On a more meta sense, I’m level 23, have taken no Combat perks, only invested in Stealth and Persuasion in the Physical/Social circle. I’m almost up to tier 4 perks in Science, and oh boy that Reactor boost perk thing is calling for me. I’m already boosted my Engines, Shields, Targeting, and general Piloting. The Space Combat is so my jam in this game.

Edited by The Man Known as Dan

If you don't assign them, they'll sit in any spare space in your ship til you make it to one of your Outposts or The Lodge.   I haven't tried going over cap yet. But I had 7 people on the Frontier at one point.

11 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Man I should have taken second rank in security 2 earlier but I'm only level 11 so it's not the end of the world.

Reveal hidden contents

Definitely check out Vlad's Villa once you can open the more advanced locks.

Do not tell me these things.  I will never be satisfied with the number of digipicks I have in my inventory.

Looks like the brown-out investigation on New Atlantis is just an introduction to the Trade Authority.  I suppose I shouldn't have annoyed Zoe.  I will need her as a connect when I begin my career as a interstellar ganja smuggler.

Good thing I didn't choose Empath.  I am certain Sarah would not be pleased if I used my status at Constellation as a cover for illicit goods trading.

Edited by J.T.

It doesn't matter. Sarah is never happy with anything you do. She's a terrible game wife. She's always with you and you can always tell nothing you do is good enough and it always feels like anything you say is going to get the "Sarah disliked that" message in the upper right corner. Or, worse, "Sarah hated that," which is the case when I just decide to take someone down. And then at other times, when I decide to spare someone, she doesn't like that either.

Look, Sarah, just tell me what you want!

Oh, and as you'll come to experience the more you play and I'm now 30 to 40 hours in, she will not hesitate to reference your past decisions. SUPER COOL. THANKS BETHESDA...

• Haha 3

I am starting to see why folks are encouraging the "stay on the main quest thing" since this is quite Mass Effecty in the "We will give you your best companions are part of the main quest"

I also love how the game goes "Talk to Coe" who is standing 5 feet from me but I ask Sarah what to do next and she is all "Lets fly to another system to see Barrett"

Since I've started accumulating companions, I mostly just tell them to stay behind, but that doesn't always work. Nothing better than trying get into a facility overrun with level 20 to level 30+ Ecliptics and then all of a sudden here comes Sarah from another angle going all Leeroy Jenkins.

It sure would be cool if companions would just stay where you tell them to. And mostly the only companion I want with me anyway is TARS/VASCO.

And because I basically played this game in reverse order, I'm looking forward to when you guys start doing the UC quests. I really love Starfield, but man are they not ashamed at all to just blatantly rip shit off of Mass Effect. It's still good and all, it's just a little weird when you played an exact side story from another game.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

And because I basically played this game in reverse order, I'm looking forward to when you guys start doing the UC quests. I really love Starfield, but man are they not ashamed at all to just blatantly rip shit off of Mass Effect. It's still good and all, it's just a little weird when you played an exact side story from another game.

I jokingly said on stream at the start of the game "no Shepherd, don't touch that artifact."