DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/16 - 8/22/2023

Dolfan in NYC

19 minutes ago, Log said:

So, here’s when we got to the arena yesterday and I told Harrison we were there for AEW:

They also taped Rampage and ROH, so we didn’t get out of there until 1 am. He went STRONG the whole time. Screamed his little head off for Darby Allin. I’m surprised he didn’t come through on tv even though we weren’t exactly close. You can see him when Jay White is starting his post-match interview and he says something about “Lexington Gold Members”. Really small, you can see a little figure with his hands in the air. 

Once Collision was over, quite a few people left. We moved down to the floor, so Har was front row for a lot of Rampage. It’ll be interesting to see if we can see and hear him on Friday. 

I’m exhausted today. But it was all worth it for this:

This is good parenting in action

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Jrag said:

That one dude from the Iron Savages announcing to the whole world that he eats ass was clearly the highlight of the show.

Pretty sure he also yelled out something like “I’m about to bust”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I loved the Golden Vampire deal, a classic trope that I haven’t seen in a long time.

I love Dalton Castle, he’s so delightful and a great wrestler to boot. I love Jay White, he’s a top tier wrestler and also brings a lot of personality to a match. Therefore, they had a fantastic match with lots of excellent moments, so much stooging, Castle taking some scary bumps, various nasty suplexes (although I did not see someone’s brain come out their butt). Dalton’s two huge back elbows to White looked and sounded stiff as shit. Toss in all the stooging, with the absolute highlight of Juice chasing The Boys around the outside with his arms in the air like some kind of deranged muppet.

This was my first time seeing the full on Iron Savages schtick and I’m still not sure if it’s Worldwide level goofy greatness or early 90s WWE corny shit. Bear Country was solidly column A. Anyway, match was fine but will only ever be memorable for Bronson’s random ass-motorboating reference.

Next I think was a bunch of talk and sketches and a bunch of squashes? I was not aware Big Bill was a free agent. I have no opinions on the squashees, as I don’t know who they are but the one dude absolutely looked like random southern territory lower card dude from the 80s.

The Toni Storm golden age of Hollywood diva gimmick is pretty great. Her outfit made me wonder if she had just finished shooting some content for her page. Her and Juice are an odd couple in a business full of them.

Willow-Diamanté was very good, got across both of their strengths and furthered the angle. Mercedes bumped huge on the outside for Stat. And the camera angle on the Willow pounce was top notch. For a minute at the very end, the way the camera kept lingering on Stat and Willow with their arms up, I thought they might pull a “shocking” turn (which would have been a very bad idea). I guess at some point we’ll get the “faces team up against heels and then face tells face champ that they deserve a title shot” angle.

Main event was nuts. I assume Darby has a spinal cord tattoo as a guide for future surgeons. Dude is fully living the “here for a good time, not a long time” life in the ring. Huge back bump on ring apron. Top rope to floor mission dropkick. Nasty flipping neck bump. Enjoy him while we can, I guess. Is anyone else working both shows the way Darby has been.

• Like 7

I know tobacco is frowned upon,  but Toni Storm's ensemble was missing a cigarette on the end of one of those long black filter thingies.  That would've completed the look.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I know tobacco is frowned upon,  but Toni Storm's ensemble was missing a cigarette on the end of one of those long black filter thingies.  That would've completed the look.

She doesn’t have to smoke it, right? 

If Juicey Boy is her beau, I'd like them to do a bizarre in-joke where she has one of those candy cigarettes (if they still make 'em, if so you can probably only find them at Cracker Barrel) in a filter and he comes in at the end of a promo and bites it off and eats it, then just walks away.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Log said:

So, here’s when we got to the arena yesterday and I told Harrison we were there for AEW:

They also taped Rampage and ROH, so we didn’t get out of there until 1 am. He went STRONG the whole time. Screamed his little head off for Darby Allin. I’m surprised he didn’t come through on tv even though we weren’t exactly close. You can see him when Jay White is starting his post-match interview and he says something about “Lexington Gold Members”. Really small, you can see a little figure with his hands in the air. 

Once Collision was over, quite a few people left. We moved down to the floor, so Har was front row for a lot of Rampage. It’ll be interesting to see if we can see and hear him on Friday. 

I’m exhausted today. But it was all worth it for this:

Thank you for sharing this, mate. Glad you and your Son had a great time xxx.

• Like 2

More on Toni Storm:

1) My e-fed character was a former manager in e-feds from years ago lost to the sands of time. She then preyed upon a struggling jobber to make him do her bidding. She dressed in Olde Hollywood style, used the elongated cigarette as her weapon of choice, and also had with her a butler who was her former husband. Her catchphrase is of course: "I'm ready for my closeup!"

2) I moved away from the Norma Desmond character because there was more room with babyface characters. She morphed into Jamie Lee Curtis from A Fish Called Wanda instead as a charming scoundrel con artist. She and her stable do some "Lie, Cheat and Steal" Eddie Guerrero nonsense. They're right now in a blood feud with some other characters I made who are based on Gilmore Girls. (Evil matriarch, conflict with her daughter, has corrupted her granddaughter.) I even had a wedding gone awry and am building to a War Games. (Don't tell anyone.)

3) I didn't get to do the monkey funeral I was hoping for... Really hope they lean into the monkey funeral. 

• Like 3

Just getting caught up on this weeks TV. AEW really finished strong with that Darby v Cage main event ( for some reason Christian, Luchasaurus and Nigel shoot names where listed on the guide). I am here for Toni's decent into madness did even recognize TOOTS!

The LFI stuff feels like Dario's office from Lucha Underground.... interesting to see where they go with this

Even Rampage was a huge step up from Dynamite. They Need to Have Jarrett defend the TCM Belt against bandito to go full Worldwide

• Like 4