DVDVR Message Board

Baldur's Gate 3 Omnibus Thread

SirFozzie

Streamed for an hour and a half (you can see the VOD in my channel's videos, same name on twitch). You know what this game needs? One of those big old strategy guides that gives you clues. It's a big, awe inspiring game, but it does require some getting used to.

Plus being a old style grognard, there's something really neat about a big old book that has every secret inside, so you can read or avoid at pleasure.

Some Thoughts: If you're squeamish about body horror (exposed brains, someone sticking a tadpole that burrows underrneath your eye, both in third and first person), you may want to have the skip cutscene button handy early. Just a thought.

edit:One thing that's cool, if you watch a streamer play, and they have the twitch extension installed, you can mouseover the top left corner of the stream and a couple buttons will appear, so you can see the streamer's party and quest journal without having to ask

Edited by SirFozzie

Honestly it is probably for the best that this isn't available immediately on XBOX as with both the next Destiny season and Starfield dropping soon and August being my hell month - I would never have time for it

(I now await them suddenly announcing it will be available on like Tuesday)

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Honestly it is probably for the best that this isn't available immediately on XBOX as with both the next Destiny season and Starfield dropping soon and August being my hell month - I would never have time for it

(I now await them suddenly announcing it will be available on like Tuesday)

Whew, that saves me from going out and buying it on the Xbox if it's not available there yet. I could get it on the PS5 I suppose, but I feel like playing this on the Xbox for whatever reason.

53 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Whew, that saves me from going out and buying it on the Xbox if it's not available there yet. I could get it on the PS5 I suppose, but I feel like playing this on the Xbox for whatever reason.

Yeah - Microsoft requires that games be playing able on both the X and S and while BG3 is ready for the X, they are having issues getting it to run on the S

I am assuming - since this is EA - the game will be available on Game Pass (via EA Play) when it arrives

Hilarious moment from Cohh's stream (I will spoiler it for folks who don't want to be spoiled)

Spoiler

He beat the hag, killed her, and found the wand that the hag was going to use to return the woman's husband back to life (she apparently hadn't known the price was going to be her baby). Apparently, the hag's plan to technically fulfill the contract was to raise him as a zombie. Cohh just shrugged, raised the husband, and handed the wand to the woman, who's now heading to Baldur's Gate with her zombie husband in tow, to try to get him raised PROPERLY.

I was going to buy this for my SteamDeck since it’s verified, but the (Deck) reviews and the sheer size of the game are making me hold off. Apparently it looks like ass on the SteamDeck, and is only really stable at 30fps if you lock it there. And 120-150GB is just insane, that’s half of my available storage left on my SD card. No chance this runs on my laptop, either.

I guess I’m waiting until 2024 or whenever for the Xbox Series S release 😭

On 8/4/2023 at 4:09 PM, odessasteps said:

Amused that you can toggle nudity/genitals on and off in this game.

In Cyberpunk 2077, you can toggle frontal nudity on in the character creator and there are customization options for your boy and girl parts. 

I can't help but think that BG3 will just end up being Naked Female Drow fan service for D&D neckbeards.

Edited by J.T.

Didn't Cyberpunk 2077 add that later/ it wasn't working at launch? Because I remember a few YouTubers had to manually censor their footage after the day of release Emperor's New Clothes glitch.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AxB said:

Didn't Cyberpunk 2077 add that later/ it wasn't working at launch? Because I remember a few YouTubers had to manually censor their footage after the day of release Emperor's New Clothes glitch.

It definitely was added post release

Example

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2023 at 9:24 AM, RIPPA said:

Well a lot of games are adding that feature and a big reason is to be more streamer friendly (so folks don't get demonetized)

True enough, but full frontal nudity in CDPR has always applied to the Character Creator and Inventory only.  V (male or female) can only go topless in-game when the Nudity Censor is turned off.  Modesty below the belt is enforced.

The "why am I wearing purple skivvies in the shower?" topic has come up so many times at the CDPR board that they issued an official statement on their Cyberpunk 2077 forum and actively take down any new threads. 

In some cases, there have been outright bans.

And what AxB said.  That video is probably a depiction of the broken clothing bug / nudity glitch that Polygon first reported on in 2020.

Edited by J.T.

I decided to re-roll with the official release and went with a Black Dragonborn barbarian murder hobo since that was what I was playing in a D&D campaign a couple years ago. I figure being a murder hobo will be the best way to put BG3 through its paces and see just how much of a 5e experience it is. 

The only thing missing is the experience of asking my DM, "can I kill this person?" or "could....I use this dead body as a weapon?" Like, if I get to a point where I kill someone and then can swing their dead body like it's a baseball bat, this will be the best game ever. I'm guessing it's not going to be that open, but one can dream.

It was still pretty damn cool to see the Dragonborn character I rolled years ago on screen and being able to play them.

Was already 95% sure I was gonna love this game. And I do. Biggest problem I’ve got with it is I can’t play it a little at a time. I’ve have prep to play it, because I know I’ll be in for hours. Feels more like planning around a DND campaign then a video game.

Thought I’d share the characters I’ve been using. I was 20 hours into play though 1 when I decided I had made some decisions assuming things were going one direction but realized they were not going the way I hoped. Yes, that’s a romance thing. So some pictures of the characters I’ve been running. 

My first character: The Tiefling Bard known only as Nowhere image.png

And the character who basically took over for her: The Gnomish Bard Tessa image.png

The fact you can see we’re the two dyes meet to go into purple/pink is so amazing I had to keep it. 

Also, some tips:

Speak with Animals is an amazing spell to learn: You can cast it as a ritual 1st thing after a long rest and it lasts till your next long rest. And as far as I can tell: every single animal in the game has dialogue, some even just taking you to loot. 

Similarly, Disguise Self got a buff: there are no saves to recognize you. This is huge for a lot of reasons.

Last night, if you kill someone they will not be willing to give you information if you use the Speak with Dead spell…. But if you cast Disguise Self BEFORE casting Speak with Dead? They are none the wiser.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am waiting for the S/X release.  I think I am trending towards Githyanki.

Yeah - in searching the Devs said the XBOX version probably won't release until sometime in 2024

So we got nothing but time

• Like 1