DVDVR Message Board

UFC 290: Volkanovski vs. Rodríguez (07/08/2023) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Pantajo wins the split decision and is the new UFC Flyweight Champion. I scored it for Pantajo. I said "What?" out loud at the 49-46 Moreno scorecard. That's terrible.

Edited by The Natural

4 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

If this card ended right there it would be one of the best shows ever, and we still got Volk and Yair left.

18 hours ago, The Natural said:

Feel underwhelmed by this lineup considering International Fight Week alongside Madison Square Garden are the two biggest annual shows. I'd much rather have had Volkanovski vs. Islam II, a rematch of the 2023 FOTY and Volkanovski should have gotten the decision to become the UFC Lightweight Champion alongside the UFC Featherweight Championship he holds. What bugs me about UFC is not giving immediate rematches when deserved like here and when Carlos Condit was screwed vs. Robbie Lawler. That one especially hurts as it was the 2016 Fight of the Year, Condit would have won the undisputed UFC Welterweight Championship, both fighters were never the same again and we got Tyron Woodley as champion. A reign I try to forget. One of Dana's stupidest decisions. I'm a Volkanovski fan, I think he's the P4P #1. I like Moreno too but this show is missing something with me.

Considering what I've said, I've really enjoyed this show. Hope the main event doesn't end it on a damp squib. Shouldn't considering it's Volkanovski and Rodriguez. Can't see Volk losing, Volk by decision.

The video package before the fight reinforces what I thought, Volk beat Islam and Volk vs. Islam II should be on this show. Bill deserved an immediate rematch to the 2023 FOTY.

Lil Volk stopped Yair's momentum really fast when it seemed like the tide started to turn. 

Volkanovski really does the little things well and doesn't make too many mistakes, which is he probably could compete against any guy at 155 despite giving away a height and reach advantage. He fought a guy who was a half foot taller than him and dominated a good portion of the fight.

• Like 1

Moreno / Pantoja was great.   I love the fights where the two guys clearly do not like each other.  Split decision means that there will probably be a rubber match / rematch even though these guys have fought three times before and Pantoja is 3-0 in the series.  It will be interesting to see if Moreno can adjust or if Alex is that guy he simply cannot beat.

I dunno how this ended up as a split.  I had Pantoja as the clear winner.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

0:38: Time of Robbie Lawler’s victory, the fastest finish of his UFC career and the second-quickest of his 47-bout professional tenure overall. The fastest: a 22-second KO of Joey Villasenor at Pride 32 on Oct. 21, 2006.

What a way to bow out.

what an incredible night of fights! had to watch the two title fights this morning, as i fell asleep right after the stoppage of Whittaker. has to be one of the absolute best cards of the last few years. bummer that the Jack Della Maddalena fight was cancelled day before.

• Like 1

I hope Robbie Lawler becomes a 2x HOF inductee as Lawler/Condit has to be there and Condit does too. Fucking love that fight. My top five MMA fights ever:

5. Jiří Procházka vs. Glover Teixeira. UFC 275.

4. Weili Zhang vs. Joanna Jedrzejczyk I. UFC 248.

3. Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit. UFC 196.

2. Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard II. UFC 125.

1. Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar I. TUF 1 2005 Finale.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2023 at 7:24 AM, peterien said:

Adesanya is the cringiest mfer alive. 

At UFC 285, Du Plessis said that he was going to be the first "real African" champion in the UFC.  We can debate about the context of Dricas's comments but in the end, the statements pissed Izzy off.

While I do not approve of the way Izzy handled himself, I totally understand why he lost his shit.

Edited by J.T.

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

At UFC 285, Du Plessis said that he was going to be the first "real African" champion in the UFC.  We can debate about the context of Dricas's comments but in the end, the statements pissed Izzy off.

While I do not approve of the way Izzy handled himself, I totally understand why he lost his shit.

Man Izzy should totally get Rock Newman since he technically is still around but just not in boxing anymore. This shit is totally in his wheelhouse.

Before Riddick Bowe fought Pierre Coetzer of South Africa, Coetzer didn't even have to say anything to get that jumped off. Rock Newman was ready, my friend. And Bowe and and Rock Newman are both African-American. Izzy is from Nigeria so that's a lot more fuel for that fire.

• Like 1

Dricas had enough nationalist pride tone in his comments to partially mask them, but it is pretty clear that he threw shade on Usman, Ngannou, and Izzy... UFC fighters that hail from nations in Africa and who all just happen to be black.

The other "real African" fighter that Dricas praised in his little 285 post-fight diatribe was his training homie, Cameron Saaiman, who is also an Afrikaner.

I hope that Dricas doesn't confuse Izzy's lack of decorum with a lack of discipline, otherwise he's going to get that Springbok ass dog walked.  We've all seen what happens in the cage to fighters that Izzy genuinely does not like.  Ask Paulo Costa what that feels like.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 3:13 PM, J.T. said:

Yeah, Dricus has been throwing shade at Izzy (and Kamaru Usman and Francis Ngannou) for a while. Saying that the "other" African Champions had to leave Africa to be successful, but he doesn't (which is pretty impertinent, because he's never been a Champion), even though Izzy, Kamaru and Francis all left the continent as children, involuntarily.

I hope Izzy destroys him.