DVDVR Message Board

July 2023 Wrestling Discussion

1 hour ago, Sparkleface said:

Just from longevity and places worked, I'd guess Ricky Morton. He worked practically every major American promotion/territory plus Japan plus indies for 45 years.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Mil Mascaras has to be up there

Per the sames site, Morton has 925 and Mascaras 712.

But the most interesting thing I learned from that site is that Jerry Lawler is 0-1 against Gentle Ben the Wrestling Bear.

9 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Which wrestler has wrestled the most different opponents? I'd have guessed Jerry Lawler, but looking through wrestlingdata, I found 2 that had him beat.

Lawler has 973 opponents listed. I found 1 man that broke the 1000 mark, and one that has had one more opponent than Lawler. Anyone want to take a guess?

Regal had a long career, and travelled a lot so maybe him?? Was a WCW tag champ too I think

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

Regal had a long career, and travelled a lot so maybe him?? Was a WCW tag champ too I think

Regal only 473, generally anyone who spent a large proportion of their career in post 2001 WWE does not rank highly.

• Like 2

Jerry Lawler - 973

Andre the Giant - 960

Tracy Smothers - 950

Ricky Morton – 925

Lou Thesz - 898

Dory Funk Jr. - 871

Luke Williams - 867

Terry Funk - 859

Don Fargo - 840

Mr Wrestling II - 839

Bill Eadie - 819

Edited by Happ Hazzard

If you presume the promotions that wrestlingdata has are the more prominent territories,and the clue, I’d say Greg Valentine, working in WWF, JCP and Northeast indies who records have been catalogued. 

• Like 1

Terry Gordy? He started young and moved around a lot.

Juventud Guerrera did too. But a lot of those sites won't have comprehensive coverage of Mexican indies.

Dave Taylor? But perhaps the site doesn't have a comprehensive list of 80s UK house shows.

22 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If you presume the promotions that wrestlingdata has are the more prominent territories,and the clue, I’d say Greg Valentine, working in WWF, JCP and Northeast indies who records have been catalogued. 

Valentine is correct, 1003 listed opponents.

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

Terry Gordy? He started young and moved around a lot.

Juventud Guerrera did too. But a lot of those sites won't have comprehensive coverage of Mexican indies.

Dave Taylor? But perhaps the site doesn't have a comprehensive list of 80s UK house shows.

Terry Gordy - 592

Juvi - 813

Dave Taylor - 420

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Yeah, i could see the real answer someone like Satanico, 50 year career, working anywhere from 6 to 10 matches a week. 

Satanico - 403

I've no doubt plenty of results for Lucha and old-school British wrestling are missing from the site. But those guys fought the same opponents many many times, rather than different opponents a few times.

• Like 1

Whether the results are in wrestling data or not, Sullivan wrestled all over the world, including Australia, Malaysia, Singapore, the Middle East, in addition to lots of independent shows in the 90s. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Whether the results are in wrestling data or not, Sullivan wrestled all over the world, including Australia, Malaysia, Singapore, the Middle East, in addition to lots of independent shows in the 90s. 

It doesn't have any results for him from any of those countries. Only USA, Canada, Japan, the Bahamas and one match in Switzerland. 

I'm sure there's lots missing from the site. Small non-Mexico City Lucha shows, shows in community centres in Britain attended by kids and old ladies, random tours of Asia and Africa that have been run over the years. There was a tour of Australia in 1990ish headlined by Paul Orndorff vs Bam Bam Bigelow which I remember reading about in magazines which isn't on there. I saw El Hijo del Santo vs Blue Panther in a church in Colchester, England in 2005 (they had a 2nd match in the same city the following day), that's not on there.

• Like 2

That’s why I take stuff from wrestlingdata or Cagematch, with a grain of salt. What’s there is likely accurate, but so much is missing.  Just listening to Al Getz’s podcast has taught me just how much missing data there is for wrestling historians, be it results, attendances, title changes (a whole Pandora’s box) and the like.