DVDVR Message Board

2023 NBA OFFSEASON

Brian Fowler

6 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Dwayne Casey out as coach in Detroit. He'll be moving to a front office job.

It was really weird since Casey himself was the one who told reporters

Following Detroit’s regular season finale on Sunday, Casey told reporters – including Omari Sankofa II of The Detroit Free Press (Twitter link) – that he’s transitioning to a front office role.

“(Team owner) Tom (Gores) is giving me an opportunity to move into the front office,” Casey said, per James L. Edwards III of The Athletic (Twitter link). “I’m excited to go to the next phase of my life. Time to spend more time with my family. This team is on the right track. They probably need to hear a new voice. This is my decision.”

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It was really weird since Casey himself was the one who told reporters

The word around here had been it was going to be up to Casey if he wanted to return to the bench or move into the office. Looks like he made his choice.

Honestly, Kidd seemed like he did an amazing job last year, and completely lost whatever grip he had on them this year, even before the late season collapse.

Edited by Brian Fowler

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

One pick + Luka

ESPN talking heads are saying team is afraid Luka will aak for a trade after next season unless things seem to be trending in right direction.  Several talking heads seem to think Mass think they can’t let Kyrie walk after all this and will meet his asking price.

It’s worth noting Kyrie was the only Mav to skip post-season debriefing.  Lol, I’m sure this will end well.

ESPN has been trying to manifest Luka leaving for two years. They can't hide the fact that they want him in one of the sexier markets.

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Honestly, Kidd seemed like he did an amazing job last year, and completely lost whatever grip he had on them this year, even before the late season collapse.

Kidd's shelf life is always one season, no matter where he goes, it seems.

So it seems like the whole point of the "investigation" is Silver being big mad that they "made a mockery" of the play-in tournament, to which I say boo-hoo. I've always hated the play in, and shitty teams shouldn't be in playoff contention.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RandomAct said:

ESPN has been trying to manifest Luka leaving for two years. They can't hide the fact that they want him in one of the sexier markets.

Kidd's shelf life is always one season, no matter where he goes, it seems.

So it seems like the whole point of the "investigation" is Silver being big mad that they "made a mockery" of the play-in tournament, to which I say boo-hoo. I've always hated the play in, and shitty teams shouldn't be in playoff contention.

Considering the whole idea came from Bill Simmons(or its close enough to his proposal), how can you make a mockery of a joke? Hopefully at least one playoff team loses two straight to fallout. I was hoping for the Lakers, but the T-Wolves would actually be funnier, plus then the Jazz would have two lottery picks.

Edited by Kuetsar
  • Like 1

Since there's no reseeding - which is the dumbest shit ever, but no less dumb than the climate-change-inducing 2-2-1-1-1 "let's pollute as much as we can with our charter jets" series format - I'd love to see 1) the Lakers make the 7, 2) have them and Memphis just beat the everloving fuck out of each other for 7 games, 3) whoever advances is limping into the second round, and 4) either Sacramento or Golden State blows them off the floor to make the Conference Finals.

Would kinda be funny if the Nets stick it to the Sixers in the first round, too, but I don't think it will happen.  It'd be like the NBA equivalent of a Zerg Rush.

It appears to stems from (or boiled over) after this

Basically Dinwiddie is all "if you have 3 max dudes, how do you miss the playoffs?"

But Dinwiddie also comes across as like the one dude still bitter that he isn't playing in Washington

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It appears to stems from (or boiled over) after this

Basically Dinwiddie is all "if you have 3 max dudes, how do you miss the playoffs?"

But Dinwiddie also comes across as like the one dude still bitter that he isn't playing in Washington

Dinwiddie should just be glad he’s not on the Mavs or his ass would have missed the playoffs too. And isn’t it possible Minnesota misses it with four (KAT, Gobert, Conley, and Edwards I know Edwards isn’t yet, but obviously once his deal expires)? And hell New Orleans might miss it with three (Ingram, McCollum, and the corpse of Zion).

Pistons have received permission to interview Bucks Associate HC Charles Lee

They are also seeking to interview Raptors assistant Adrian Griffin and Heat assistant Chris Quinn

So... Dolan's shitbirdiness may have come to roost. 

In the 1960's New York demolished Penn Station because it had gotten decrepit and was going to cost a fortune to renovate and refurbish.  So... a shitty replacement was thrown underground and some office buildings and a new Madison Square Garden was built on top of it.  

Now this is important for a couple of reasons...  first everyone agrees that Penn Station is the absolute worst and (looking back) shouldn't have been torn down.  Second, MSG has to ask for permission to operate above it when the lease renewal comes up.  

Enter Moynihan Station.

New York has retrofitted/replaced the huge post office across the street from MSG into a new and very nice station.  If you've been to NYC recently, you can testify to it.  (I have a few issues, but that's irrelevant.) The question is though, should they keep going and try to fix the whole thing, because right now, it's only half fixed up, and half awful old shitty Penn.  

Back to MSG... they got permission in 2013 to operate for 10 more years on the same spot as part of their last lease.  This year however, time's up and they decided to ask to operate there in perpetuity. Which, obviously would kill any plans for a new train station. 

A community board has just, half-unexpectedly, told them to go fuck themselves.   They have 3 years to pack their shit and find a replacement spot.  

Now, this is non-binding but it is a very important advisory council.  The board with actual power meets in July. 

So this is a long winded post to say... keep an eye on this.  Stuff may get interesting soon.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Pistons have received permission to interview Bucks Associate HC Charles Lee

They are also seeking to interview Raptors assistant Adrian Griffin and Heat assistant Chris Quinn

Lee has been the rumored front runner even before Casey stepped down officially.

There's also rumblings about there possibly being mutual interest between them and Juwan Howard.

Edited by Brian Fowler