DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2023 - 1ST HALF

Dolfan in NYC

The schedule is definitely going to make things.... different in September. Along the same path, the Braves and Mets play for the last time on August 23rd which is crazy that they don't have a single series in September since before the season started they were seen as probably the best two teams in the NL East. 

On the flip side -  the Dodgers and Giants play each other 7 times the last 11 games of the season (same with the Mets and the Phillies)

Reds and White Sox is the Apple TV+ Friday night game tonight. Gonna have to watch that, especially since I haven't been able to watch many Reds games this season since I don't have access to Bally Sports Ohio.

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Surprised that A’s/Royals isn’t gonna be on Apple TV with the clash between 8-24 and 6-26

To quote Gorilla Monsoon, "The irresistible force meeting the immovable object". 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, writeradam84 said:

I honestly thought he’d already retired.

He quasi was as he had gotten the suspension for his role in the Angels pill scandal and spent all last season in the minors

He pitched for Italy in the WBC and folks thought that would land him a ST invite so either he realized his heart wasn't in it anymore or perhaps he wanted more money than teams were offering

Re: scheduling and how much more games within the division matter, much talk had been made (of course less so with the Jays recent losing streak and the Yankees falling into last place at over .500 -- hate it here) on Jays broadcasts about the last twelve games of their season being against the Rays and Yankees. 

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

He quasi was as he had gotten the suspension for his role in the Angels pill scandal and spent all last season in the minors

He pitched for Italy in the WBC and folks thought that would land him a ST invite so either he realized his heart wasn't in it anymore or perhaps he wanted more money than teams were offering

Ah, ok. That makes sense then. I lost track of him after his one season with the Reds. Last I heard, he'd resurfaced with the Orioles.

Oakland isn't technically the worst team in the majors anymore, as they're tied with a Royals team that they beat on Friday/Saturday

There's nothing wrong with the Royals that can't be solved with another purge. Got a lot of jamming of square pegs into round holes around KC and they could finish the full season behind Oakland.

• Like 1

Speaking of injuries - Royals pitcher Ryan Yarbrough was understandably placed on the IL after taking a line drive to the face on Sunday

Royals manager Matt Quatraro said Yarbrough has three non-displaced fractures in different spots around his right eye.

So my group of Cubs friends all had that moment of WTF when the Cubs didn't even try to keep Willson, but then we laughed at the Cards signing him. One of us asked at the time, "did the Cardinals suddenly become dumb?" And then we went on figuring the Cards would just run away with the division anyway.

Turns out that yes, the Cardinals became very dumb and signing Willson was like the canary in the coal mine for that team. They went to replace one of the best catchers of all time with a bat first catcher who was the worst or one of the worst pitch framers in the league and all of his pitchers throwing to him weren't great. It was a recipe for a disaster. Now that alone is a fucking delight because fuck them Cardinals. But everything else on top of that? Like the manager repeatedly throwing the team under the bus? I mean...you love to see it.

I'm sure somewhere @piranesi is like, yeah, this team is crazy stupid now and there's no point in bothering with them. I'd also wager that at least half of the "BEST FANS IN BASEBALL" want Palpatine back.

• Like 1

Oh, and the Cubs brought up Christopher Morel, who has been putting up absurd numbers in AAA. Like, MLB the Show on the easiest mode with the sliders all set to make the game even easier than that. 

He also strikes out a ton so he could be an all or nothing hitter. Whatever. At least the team is doing some interesting stuff. Oh, and Nico is hurt. So that sucks.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Speaking of injuries - Royals pitcher Ryan Yarbrough was understandably placed on the IL after taking a line drive to the face on Sunday

Royals manager Matt Quatraro said Yarbrough has three non-displaced fractures in different spots around his right eye.

In the span of 8 days, the Royals have had a backup infielder go down with appendicitis, a pitcher with “head fractures” that sound close to the injuries that happen when King Mabel drops a leg on the Undertaker’s face, and Amir Garrett left a game last night a few pitches into his outing after puking on the mound

They didn’t broadcast Garrett puking in KC because the home plate ump (who was awful) was busy ejecting a White Sox player (who was arguing one of the few called strikes that the ump didn’t blow)