DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2023

In other news, I wondered why Karl Stern posted one of the weekly shows on his network a day early. 

because he had a heart attack taking out the trash and was in the hospital getting 2 stints put in. 

and he still has like 3 months to go before he retires from the police force. 

• Sad 3

gonna have to figure out something to do with my Monday afternoon after completing the 3hr/29min Between the Sheets sometime before going to sleep tonight

edit: oh yes, day baseball (D-Backs/Yankees) as a makeup game for the storm avoidance postponement on Saturday

Edited by Cobra Commander

They did put up the September Patreon show last night in addition to the regular show. 

I still haven’t listened to the September Charting the Territories yet, which is about Gulf Coast.
Dutch had Bobby Fulton this week. Wonder if they will tell the bullwhip story. 

On 9/23/2023 at 8:33 PM, odessasteps said:

In other news, I wondered why Karl Stern posted one of the weekly shows on his network a day early. 

because he had a heart attack taking out the trash and was in the hospital getting 2 stints put in. 

and he still has like 3 months to go before he retires from the police force. 

Aw man, thoughts no prayers out to Karl.  Such a good dude.  His explanation of why he doesn't believe in conspiracies (to paraphrase..."I've worked for government agencies all my life and they are incompetent") has become part of my life.  

I don’t know if it technically belongs here, but I’m really enjoying the stuff on Stevie Richards youtube channel. I mean, he has videos about how underrated Brad Armstrong and Dustin Rhodes are generally viewed. Not here of course. 

it’s more than just him analyzing botch videos. And in one of those, he totally buried himself for taking the Styles Clash completely wrong and praising AJ for realizing it mid move to mitigate any potential injury risk.

The latest Crime in Sports is about the Rockin’ Rebel murder/suicide. It lingers a little bit too long on his match history, but it was nice to hear people that presumably have no connection to him just tear him apart for being a nobody (and for the murder/suicide of course) after he held his “ECW original” status over so many people’s heads for so long in PA. 

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Did they figure out that he would work on cards because he lent out his promoters license?

I must have been on dozens of shows where that was the case. That was also very well known but he played up the ECW original stuff too. He’d use both as an excuse to do whatever he wanted on shows (which mostly included telling children he fucked their moms and taking tons of liberties with green kids). 

• Like 1

I think Rebel is the one guy in wrestling that I've never heard anyone say anything good about, even before the murder.

I tried rewatching some of his matches a couple years ago thinking maybe he was just unfairly maligned for not being a workrate guy.  Nope!  Turns out he just stunk.

• Like 3

Been enjoying Shane Douglas' podcast/youtube. It's kind of funny that this dude who was willing to run down anyone and everyone during a promo doesn't really seem to like talking shit about other people on his podcast, tho, lol. Not in a negative way, Franchise just seems so polite and proper as a person these days. He was really nice the one time I met him, tho.

• Like 3

nearly 2 and a half hours of 1998 WCW on Between the Sheets this week

(25 years ago was the Warrior/Hogan mirror angle)

edit: and Keith is in amazing form on this episode

edit2: never realized that Lee Marshall was so good at rolling his Rs while saying Spanish words

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 1:41 PM, YouHaveUntil5 said:

I must have been on dozens of shows where that was the case. That was also very well known but he played up the ECW original stuff too. He’d use both as an excuse to do whatever he wanted on shows (which mostly included telling children he fucked their moms and taking tons of liberties with green kids). 

That was why he had a long run with CZW correct? Do they bring up the hilarious story where he was booked to win a battle royal in ECW, bragged to people about it and when word got back to Tod Gordon he changed it and had everyone toss him out instantly in a shoot? Will always remember a friend of mine meeting him for the first time and Rebel telling him a Holocaust joke.

Yeesh, whatta guy...

On 10/9/2023 at 5:27 AM, sabremike said:

That was why he had a long run with CZW correct? Do they bring up the hilarious story where he was booked to win a battle royal in ECW, bragged to people about it and when word got back to Tod Gordon he changed it and had everyone toss him out instantly in a shoot? Will always remember a friend of mine meeting him for the first time and Rebel telling him a Holocaust joke.

Yeesh, whatta guy...

They did tell that story! It’s funny every time you hear it. 

And yeah, CZW was one of those places where he got to work forever because of his license. Even ROH had to for a while - I’ll always remember going to the MX Reunion preshow because a local guy was in Punk’s training class and that was their debut, and seeing Rebel work on that same preshow. He certainly wasn’t out of place at all. Not even a little. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Was the Jamie appearance the source for the “Bill Dundee has dementia” thing or was that some other podcast where there’s the occasional old person update on the health of their friends?

On 10/3/2023 at 1:26 PM, DMN said:

Been enjoying Shane Douglas' podcast/youtube. It's kind of funny that this dude who was willing to run down anyone and everyone during a promo doesn't really seem to like talking shit about other people on his podcast, tho, lol. Not in a negative way, Franchise just seems so polite and proper as a person these days. He was really nice the one time I met him, tho.

Co-signed on this. I've also been enjoying Shane Douglas' chats. He seems dialed in on all his topics and he never sounds like he's being negative for the sake of negativity. Nash's podcast comparatively is a trainwreck and I can barely listen to like two minutes of it.