Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Recommended Posts

Couldn't sleep as I'm poorly with an infection so bobbed online. 

Some of the names released are head scratchers like Samoa Joe, Iiconics, Kalisto and Wesley Blake. Blake because they've kept Jaxson Ryker and how he messed up the Forgotten Sons. Samoa Joe's the biggest surprise. Wonder if Joe's gone as he wanted to wrestle again instead of commentary? Poor Billie Kay. I wanted her to host WrestleMania XXXVII with Titus O'Neill.

What I find particularly loathsome? 1. WWE citing budget cuts. Budget. Cuts. Fuck you. 2. The Velveteen Dream is still fucking employed as the above are losing their jobs. Dream should have been long gone ages ago.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

the other is a rich kid playing with his real life action figure federation. 

So he's Jim Crockett Jr. in the 70s? Or Vince in the 80s? 

I've watched some of the old WWF shows from the mid to late 1980s and nothing kills me more than when the DUKE OF DORCHESTER Pete Doherty or one of the old fogies Vince grew up watching or wrestled for his dad show up on TV for one last payday. WHY IS JERRY VALIANT ON SATURDAY NIGHT'S MAIN EVENT LOOKING LIKE HE JUST WALKED OUT OF A BURT LANCASTER FILM? WHY IS HE WRESTLING UNCLE ELMER? 

There is a solid lineage of the notable promoters basically living vicariously through the wrestlers they hire.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wesley Blake is like the most generic wrestler ever, but seems like a guy that could mop up on the indies and find his way back to the big time in a few years.

Joe could be washed, or he could be like Kobashi and compensate what he's lost in mobility with charisma and stiffness. Definitely worth a shot for AEW if he's interested.

Had no idea Bo Dallas was still on the roster. Not JTG-level, but an impressive overstay nonetheless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

You can't be talking about their PPV match. IIRC, that widely panned as being the wrong match on the wrong night at the end of a long show. But they had some good TV stuff.

Definitely one of their Raw matches sticks out in my memory as being great heavyweight wrestling; I think it was the night after a PPV 5-way and it just showed some great heavy lifting that made Reigns seem more credible than most of his opponents could do.

I honestly do not remember them having a PPV match, but I'm suddenly reminded of Joe's PPV match with Kofi, where Kofi won with a Trouble In Paradise out of nowhere and neither Joe nor Kofi got to tell any sort of story. Joe was overcoming that awful night nicely when he and Aleister Black were taking on Seth and Murphy (can't remember who else was involved) before Joe got injured. His character at that point was great as it ever was and I kinda wonder if he'll ever be as interesting as when he was going against the odds (from a booking perspective, i mean)...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad to see all the releases, especially the Iiconics and shocked about Joe. Thought Joe would have a role in commentary for good there. Always been a huge fan of Billie Kay going back to her SHIMMER days 11 years ago so I hope she (and Peyton) bounce back elsewhere. Wesley Blake and Steve Cutler can reunite now as a team without Ryker. I could see them adding to Impact since Cutler is dating Deonna. 

Chelsea Green's career there is so crazy. Breaks her wrist in her NXT debut, gets in the 2020 Rumble for 15 seconds, debuts on SD and breaks her wrist again. It always sounded like they had plans for her to be called up but nothing ever happened. Looking forward to seeing her back in Impact or where ever she ends up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching Impact and apparently Bryan Myers' finisher is called the Roster Cut 😕 

Flair has apparently done a bunch of Car Shield commercials too. Matt Cardona is in one; Flair chops him out of the ring and calls him a jabronie hahaha

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, The Natural said:

What I find particularly loathsome? 1. WWE citing budget cuts. Budget. Cuts. 

So you'd prefer WWE just admit that they have no use for the people cut and don't want to continue paying them?  That seems harsh.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nvm wrong link.

Seems there might not be more releases or maybe more tomorrow.

Edited by D.Z
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Flair has apparently done a bunch of Car Shield commercials too. Matt Cardona is in one; Flair chops him out of the ring and calls him a jabronie hahaha

Haven't seen that one. I did see one that was pretty much this, but with Eli Drake instead of Cardona.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Eoae said:

So you'd prefer WWE just admit that they have no use for the people cut and don't want to continue paying them?  That seems harsh.

Yes because god forbid a billion dollar company be honest about why and where they are cutting costs while the people at the top and shareholders continue to make good money. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Or ...

One is a public traded entertainment company run by a crazy old man. The other is a rich kid playing with his real life action figure federation. 

 

YMMV 

😉

I’m about to have a sodium overdose from all the salt in this post.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Yes because god forbid a billion dollar company be honest about why and where they are cutting costs while the people at the top and shareholders continue to make good money. 

It's not your employer's job to guarantee you an income indefinitely.   I like my job quite a bit and feel like I work hard and am good at it, but if the company decides I'm not useful anymore, or they don't like my attitude or find me hard to work with, they should fire me.  In my opinion, how much the "top" makes is immaterial.

 

50 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Flair has apparently done a bunch of Car Shield commercials too. Matt Cardona is in one; Flair chops him out of the ring and calls him a jabronie hahaha

I've caught a Car Shield commercial with Ice-T and the idea of middle-aged ex-rapper Ice-T hawking Car Shield makes me laugh.

For the record, I am impressed at T reinventing himself and finding a steady gig on a cop show, of all things.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eoae said:

It's not your employer's job to guarantee you an income indefinitely.   I like my job quite a bit and feel like I work hard and am good at it, but if the company decides I'm not useful anymore, or they don't like my attitude or find me hard to work with, they should fire me.  In my opinion, how much the "top" makes is immaterial.

O...kay... So what's your original point, then? You said it would be "harsh" if the company had to be upfront about why they're firing people, but you are also saying you'd be cool with your employer doing the same to you? 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

O...kay... So what's your original point, then? You said it would be "harsh" if the company had to be upfront about why they're firing people, but you are also saying you'd be cool with your employer doing the same to you? 

 

My point is Vince doesn't need a reason to fire people.  It's his company.  If he wants to let people go for sneezing or looking like Dolph Ziggler, he can.  He doesn't need to justify his reasoning for letting people go and he's doesn't have any responsibility to keep people around if he doesn't feel like they fit into the future of the company just because the company is profitable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s all well and good, but I think the point here is that if Vince, or whoever, doesn’t see any value in Billie Kay or whoever, they should be upfront about the reasoning instead of a general “budget cut” reason. I’m sure that burns a lot of the talent too, since, again - they just shelled out big money for celebrities like Logan Paul and Bad Bunny, excessive pyrotechnic displays, live bands, etc not even a week ago at a two night, sell-out event.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Casey said:

That’s all well and good, but I think the point here is that if Vince, or whoever, doesn’t see any value in Billie Kay or whoever, they should be upfront about the reasoning instead of a general “budget cut” reason. I’m sure that burns a lot of the talent too, since, again - they just shelled out big money for celebrities like Logan Paul and Bad Bunny, excessive pyrotechnic displays, live bands, etc not even a week ago at a two night, sell-out event.

Maybe, but we don't actually know what was said to talent.  We tend to make a lot of assumptions about what people in the company actually said or did when they were face-to-face based on a couple lines in the Observer that may have been reported to Dave by someone not in the room at the time.  I read "budget cuts" as the sort of bland pr-speak human resource depts use when they don't want to get into specifics.  I hope whoever gave talent the bad news didn't just shrug and say "budget cuts.  Seeya around" but that wouldn't surprise me either.

Whenever there's a purge, I always wonder how much off-camera stuff plays a factor.  I assume that, at least occasionally, attitude and work habits play a factor in getting cut or not, but we'll never know how often or too what degree.  I generally feel like fans think they know more about what goes on "inside the fishbowl" than they really know. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Eoae said:

My point is Vince doesn't need a reason to fire people.  It's his company.  If he wants to let people go for sneezing or looking like Dolph Ziggler, he can.  He doesn't need to justify his reasoning for letting people go and he's doesn't have any responsibility to keep people around if he doesn't feel like they fit into the future of the company just because the company is profitable.

I don't disagree with anything you say, but that's a shitty place to work at if your job ends because Vince just has a sudden change of heart.  Random people were fired where I worked at last month because it was "required."  Vince didn't look at any of the people who were let go today and really thought about it.  It was just "Okay." And they were fired.  That's not WWE either, that's life.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that a billion dollar company whose worth is made off the backs of the in-ring talent should be straight up with them. This isn’t your typical 9 to 5 employee, these people quite literally risk their lives for the company and willingly sacrifice years away from their actual families just so Vince & Co. could become this wealthy.

Would I care if my employer’s millionaire CEO issued an edict saying we needed to fire people because of budget cuts? Not really. I’m a forklift driver, I’m not stepping into a quasi-staged event where there is a chance I could be paralyzed or worse on a nightly basis. I’m not away from my family for more than half of the year (granted 2020 to now they haven’t been, but still...)

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

John Laurinaitis claiming "budget cuts" for these releases when WWE just made a $1 billion deal with NBCUni on top of a new TV deal for NXT with USA and $205 million a year from FOX is horse manure. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that his feud with Brock was maybe Brock's best feud in WWE. Better than the one with Undertaker. And for the entire time he was there he was probably the best promo on a roster. His promo on Roman and Brock was legendary.

This was one of the best promo segments in the past decade and that Joe wasn't the one to take the belt of Brock was total horseshit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RIPPA unpinned this topic
  • RIPPA pinned this topic
  • RIPPA locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...