DVDVR Message Board

THE 248 "BEST" MOVIES OF THE 20-10S~!

RIPPA

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Without seeing the numbers, you're probably right.

I have a special attachment to it because I saw it when it premiered at the Toronto film festival, when Villeneuve was much, much less of a name.  I checked it out because I saw someone online (don't even remember if it was a professional reviewer) who said something like "Well, I haven't seen this movie, but I've seen the play it's based on, and if the movie is anywhere near as good as the play, it'll be amazing."

Yeah I figured since you had it #12 on the all time poll, it would at least be a Top 10 on your ballot

So just being conservative and tossing 90 points onto it would have gotten it into the mid-30s

I am gonna try and get us to the Top 50 today

The next batch of 10 is another one of those fun ones where it is all over the fucking place in terms of type of movies.

Plus - a movie that people have been waiting to see where it drops... drops

Anyway - let me churn through this work that just got dropped in my lap

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

star-wars-force-awakens-official-poster

62) STAR WARS: EPISODE VII - THE FORCE AWAKENS (2015)

Director: J.J. Abrams

335 Points (6 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: JL Sigman (#13) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Hobo Joe, RIPPA, KLOS, Sublime, The Z - HONORABLE MENTION: Natural

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/86%) : METACRITIC (80/6.8)

NOTE FROM RIPPA: This was #347 on the GOAT reveal and I am not gonna provide any context because it is making me giggle

There was so much potential in this film that was just wasted. I love it, but I watch it now and wish we'd gotten Force!Finn and better explanations of who Snoke was and on and on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

I'm assuming it is going to be my #1 and despite it's relatively high placement, I am going to be mocked relentlessly. 

Here is the last tease I will provide on it

TWO number #1 movies will drop in the next 10

Oh and our last 5 vote movie will also be revealed along with our first 9 vote movie.

And that is 4 different movies

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Here is the last tease I will provide on it

TWO number #1 movies will drop in the next 10

Oh and our last 5 vote movie will also be revealed along with our first 9 vote movie.

And that is 4 different movies

You big tease, you!

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

I thought it was hilarious. I think both of that dude's movies (Midsommar/Hereditary) are comedies that instead of "jokes" he just decapitates something or bashes in a skull. And I feel like I'm actually enjoying them, not in an ironic "it's so laughably bad it's entertaining" kind of way.

Whoever wrote in the horror thread that Hereditary was a parody of Baumbachesque indie movies about rich families with problems was dead on. 

I got more than a few laughs out of the pure schadenfreude of Midsommar, but feel no need to watch it again. Call it an arthouse version of a slasher where everyone's an asshole and you watch just to see them knocked off I guess. 

And I STILL never finished watching Hereditary

Spoiler
isawdevil

58) I SAW THE DEVIL (Ang-ma-reul bo-at-da) (2010)

Director: Jee-woon Kim

361 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#6) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: The Z, Jae, Bill S Preston, Control, Execproducer

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (81%/87%) : METACRITIC (67/7.9)

@Lawful Metal wrote

Watched I Saw the Devil for the second time last night, showing my teenagers what I thought was the best movie on Netflix.  Still is.  Just turns the whole "revenge movie" on its ear and features just unrelenting badassery.  And the ending is pretty boss.  Love this movie.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1245-2014-movie-omnibus-thread/&do=findComment&comment=191261

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Trailer is Red Band

Spoiler
roma

57) ROMA (2018)

Director: Alfonso Cuaron

362 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Sublime (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Bill S Preston, Octopus, EVA, KLOS, Control

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/72%) : METACRITIC (96/7.8)

@Jrag wrote

Roma was as good as advertised. Cuarón's camerawork isn't as showy as in Children of Men, but it's equally impressive. The camera just lingers in a way. He uses light in such a unique way. Definitely recommend it.

Also, I went down a Wikipedia rabbit hole to learn more about that Mexico City riot in '71. Wild. CIA involvement, trained killers, officials resigning etc, etc.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7429-movies-december-2018-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=815029

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

incendies_ver4

64) INCENDIES (2010)

Director: Denis Villeneuve

330 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Control (#9) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: The Z, Bill S Preston, Jae, Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (93%/92%) : METACRITIC (80/8.1)

NOTE FROM RIPPA - Incendies was #245 on Greatest of All Time Poll. Also to tie this up

@caley wrote "I'm pretty high on most of Villeneuve's stuff ('Sicario' and, especially, 'Arrival', as well as 'Prisoners') so this seems like something I should really get around to seeing. " Looking at the list of voters, I see he did.

Also - @The Zwas one of the two voters of it the last time

I do NOT remember voting for this. I mean, I'm sure I did and it's good, it's just not something I remember having in the mix for my Top 100. It is a very good movie but heavy, HEAVY subject matter. The reason I put this off so long is that, even though I took 13 years of French Immersion, I still find it really hard to watch a French movie without English subtitles (Plus my French is WAY out of practice, a French-Canadian reporter thanked me on Twitter a few weeks ago and I actually had to Google how to say "You're welcome" in French (It's "de rien", if you're interested, even if that's not a literal translation, but more like "It was nothing!")) and for the longest time Canadian Netflix only had this with French Audio and French subtitles, which didn't work for me. I think I finally DVRed it off a cable channel finally with proper subtitles.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

irishman

65) THE IRISHMAN (2019)

Director: Martin Scorsese

328 Points (6 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: BP (#17) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: The Z, Bill S Preston, Octopus, EVA, KLOS - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%/86%) : METACRITIC (94/8.1)

@caleywrote

@Andy in Kansas wrote

NOTE FROM RIPPA - The post before Caley's is from Curt reviewing Irishman in which he says its good but then just shits on the de-aging technology the entire time. In general, this movie has a lot of easily findable reviews on both sides of the fence (probably the combo being recent and on Netflix)

I actually rewatched it this summer and I feel like most of what I said stands. A lot of people described this as Scorsese atoning for and analyzing his role in profiting/tradng in violent cinema over the years, but I feel like that's an extra level of metaphor that isn't actually there, mainly because at no point do I feel like Frank is atoning or analyzing anything he's done. He seems pretty proud of it, right up until the end.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

hereditary

63) HEREDITARY (2018)

Director: Ari Aster

335 Points (7 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: BP (#9) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Bill S Preston, Caley, KLOS, Control, New Blood, Execproducer

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (89%/67%) : METACRITIC (87/7.2)

@Ultimo Necroreview from Halloween Havoc 2018

I gotta say I did not find 'Hereditary' hilarious or a satire of anything. I thought it chillingly dark and upseting

Spoiler

That scene where the kid's head gets knocked off is one of the most shocking "Did that really happen? Maybe it was just a dream." and then you see the kid's head on the ground covered in ants! And it dawns on you that it really happened.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Lady-Bird

61) LADY BIRD (2017)

Director: Greta Gerwig

340 Points (5 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Sublime (#17) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Execproducer, Jae, BP, Bill S Preston - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (99%/79%) : METACRITIC (94/7.6)

I had this way high, like Top 30/40 on my list and when I started thinking about it, I couldn't remember almost anything about the movie. And I started to rewatch it, got bored and turned it off. I figured that was a pretty solid reason to knock it off my list and replace it with something that I enjoyed more but also remembered and had a bigger impact on me.

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

takeshelter

60) TAKE SHELTER (20110

Director: Jeff Nichols

341 Points (6 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Execproducer (#15) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Jae, Bill S Preston, Caley, Control, New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%/81%) : METACRITIC (85/7.8)

I haven't watched this in years and always want to revisit it, but Michael Shannon's performance is so good, that it's almost physically painful to watch his life kind of unravel.

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

joker

60) JOKER (2019)

Director: Todd Phillips

351 Points (5 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Hobo Joe (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Natural, The Z, Octopus, New Blood

IMDB ROTTEN TOMATOES (68%/88%) : METACRITIC (59/9.0)

I finally got around to seeing Joker this past summer. It's perfectly fine. It's pretty much a one performance movie and super heavy-handed.  I never bought into all the incel talk, to be honest, felt like that was people projecting stuff onto the movie that it was really putting out there. It was just a sad-sack leading a shitty life until he's pushed to the brink and goes over the edge. It did not need to be over two hours.