DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

36 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Is the game where the stuff with blurred Mean Gene is coming from? 

Yup. Apparently they feel that their use of archival footage doesn't allow them to show anyone not under contract (or a Legend deal with the family for decedents), including announcers or refs. My thought is that THEY think (right or not) that the contracts they signed allow for reissues of the matches, but they would still need likeness rights to show them in a different, interactive medium.

Last year, I did the “beat Reigns on legend difficulty” as my very first trophy. It wasn’t hard.

What the fuck happened?! Is the hardest difficulty actually… hard this year?! What?? Or is it just Reigns being super OP? Or Bruno being terrible in comparison and not being able to use any Payback specials?

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Last year, I did the “beat Reigns on legend difficulty” as my very first trophy. It wasn’t hard.

What the fuck happened?! Is the hardest difficulty actually… hard this year?! What?? Or is it just Reigns being super OP? Or Bruno being terrible in comparison and not being able to use any Payback specials?

Even on normal it feels significantly harder this year IMO. Among other things, your stamina starts to run low a lot faster and you have to rest more, but also everything just seems to take tighter timing and it's easier to get caught in a Doom loop. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

It’s funny how salty so many people seem to be bout their rating this year.

A LOT of people went down significantly, especially NXT main eventers.

I have completed all the historical matches in Showcase. The only one that really requires spoilers is Firefly Funhouse since a lot of people wondered how they'd even do it.

Spoiler

Basically, you just watch the entire match, minus the 2 licensed songs in the Saturday Night's Main Event part and the Devil Puppet Vince bits, and each time you return to the void you hit a couple spots as Bray. Only 8 objectives total, and it unlocks every variant of Cena and Wyatt that appears except the one I wanted most, Wyatt Family Bray.

It was a cool experiment.

The equivalent of last year's fucking rotten elimination 4 way to unlock Bruno (which took me over a month to beat because I kept getting frustrated and giving up) is

Spoiler

a Wrestlemania Rumble featuring the timeless versions of all the male chars from earlier matches, plus AJ Styles and Yokozuna. You enter at 1 whoever you pick, and I haven't made it long enough to see how many eliminations you have to score to get all the objectives.

Now to walk away from that mode for a while and start a Universe mode with Roxanne.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

It’s funny how salty so many people seem to be bout their rating this year.

Some of them are way different from last year. A lot of folks got downgraded (Theory and Waller stand out the most to me) and like Cliff Hanger said, the NXT main eventers are like 5-6 points lower than last year. Big E's downgrade is particularly egregious to me, the man is injured you can't just put him in the 70s for that!

Also for anyone that plays MyFaction, for those tiered rewards, do you have to do anything to get the rewards for the higher tiers or is it just RNG? I did the 6 woman tag match one with the Ruby Becky Lynch and got the lowest possible reward but I don't know if I need to do something different or if I just have to play a bunch of times to get it.

Also I've noticed there must be a mechanic that you can only breakup so many pinfalls in tag matches which makes those matches odd at the end.

32 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Also for anyone that plays MyFaction, for those tiered rewards, do you have to do anything to get the rewards for the higher tiers or is it just RNG? I did the 6 woman tag match one with the Ruby Becky Lynch and got the lowest possible reward but I don't know if I need to do something different or if I just have to play a bunch of times to get it.

Pure RNG but you can only earn each reward once, so if you do it 4 times you're guaranteed all 4 rewards.

• Like 1

The little QOL things I would most like to see next year are (a) the aforementioned ability to not use the Supercharger if you want to buy a fancy edition but not auto-unlock and (b) some kind of option for people like Rey, Axiom, the Party Girls etc whose gear is always the same design but changes colors frequently, so the game will auto-rotate (for both roster chars and created ones)

On 3/9/2024 at 1:18 PM, Cliff Hanger said:
Spoiler

a Wrestlemania Rumble featuring the timeless versions of all the male chars from earlier matches, plus AJ Styles and Yokozuna. You enter at 1 whoever you pick, and I haven't made it long enough to see how many eliminations you have to score to get all the objectives.

Spoiler

The objectives are first to eliminate one, then eliminate five, then eliminate 10 altogether.  I didn't realize it was a 30 man Rumble at first and kept getting annoyed when I got eliminated for dumb reasons.  But I eventually got through it and was relieved to be done with the showcase.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

Got the Ruby Becky Lynch today. I'm wondering how this MyFaction mode will play out long term. The packs you can buy now are pretty garbage (I haven't gotten one decent card aside from a Gold Waller which didn't matter because I got an Emerald Waller that I was able to upgrade to a Ruby. Heck I got a Gold Santos manager card in a free pack from logging in 5 days this week. I'm also trying to figure out if buying the Deluxe pack is better than the standard pack too.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Got the Ruby Becky Lynch today. I'm wondering how this MyFaction mode will play out long term. The packs you can buy now are pretty garbage (I haven't gotten one decent card aside from a Gold Waller which didn't matter because I got an Emerald Waller that I was able to upgrade to a Ruby. Heck I got a Gold Santos manager card in a free pack from logging in 5 days this week. I'm also trying to figure out if buying the Deluxe pack is better than the standard pack too.

The monetization is SO much worse this year. I bought two packs with my match and challenge winnings, one from each of the 2 types available right now. I got a green Nash from the Legends set, which was cool because I needed a powerhouse. The Heat pack gave me a green Corbin, which would have been awesome if i hadn't bought a Corbin with the same overall rating with my first batch of token rewards literally 15 minutes before. As for basic v deluxe: the Deluxe packs give you a higher percentage chance of the "main" character card being better. If you press square on the item you're looking at, it'll tell you that you have a 100% chance of getting 1 character card and then the relative odds of having at least 1 of the other types, then if you press R2/RT it will show the odds for each rarity within that card type. I usually buy the Deluxe a couple times per set and then switch to regular, because if you just keep buying deluxe you're going to start getting duplicate cards that pay out in pitifully low numbers of Faction points.

In 22 and 23, I was able to enjoy this mode for months without spending any money. It feels like that's gonna be a lot harder this year. (It doesn't help that I picked Technician as the class for my starters, and while Nattie is progressing nicely toward her final form, Tyler Bate's submissions suck so hard that i may never even get his first level-up. Really wishing i had made literally any other choice)

Instead of Universe mode I started Unleashed, the women's story in My Rise. Just like every year, it is very silly. I'm not very far in yet, but i unlocked a couple of Faction cards (Ava Moreno, your on-again-off-again partner/rival from 23 and Odyssey Rift, the first person you fight this year and I think a random optional match in 23). The first match is how I found out you can burn a finisher to set a table on fire this year and gave me a William Regal quote that may replace the Oingo Boingo line that's been my signature here since 2005: "A friend is just an enemy you haven't wronged yet."

No more MyFaction work of any note for me, still feeling frustrated enough at Bate's shitty submissions and needing to win with them to level him up that it's just kind of hard to get excited about. The fact that it takes so much more currency to buy new cards doesn't help, but really if you just gave me a bunch of things I can grind to level (like 2k22, where every Season Pass char got an evolvable card) I'd probably never get bored...which is why 2k23 switched the DLC chars to non-evo.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

If you’re like me and just bought a PS5 after years of being an Xbox guy (I realize that’s a small group) Fire Pro is currently $7.50!

The system for acquiring edits on PS sucks, but it's still a great time and a great snapshot of NJPW and Stardom circa 2018-19, full of people who've come west since

• Like 1

RE: WWE2K

I think last year I played maybe an hour or two of one of the two storyline modes and then never returned to it. Partly because I discovered that GM Mode is the best thing ever and partly because I've always hated the company's stupid scripted storylines approach to television, never mind videogames. It seriously just seemed like page after page of insipid dialogue and social media references broken up only by tapping a button for the next line of lame dialogue and now and then an uninspiring match between uninspiring made-up wrestlers. 

3 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

"A friend is just an enemy you haven't wronged yet."

Okay, that's awesome.

The men’s MyRise isn’t nearly as goofy (yet) compared to what I’ve heard about the women’s version. I might actually finish it this year.

The "wackiest" I encountered so far is Miz drafting the champion right as the championship match starts which immediately stops it after Regal read the paperwork.  Other than that it feels almost realistic which I kind of like.  I did like the idea of last year's where a guy on his way up gets fired and has to go back to indies but I didn't get far enough to see it pay off.

I do find that as long as I'm largely caught up on wrestling shows it's great to play this and have Apple Music in the background.  It's great for checking out recommendations so I'm not completely clueless on what's going on with music I like.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

On 3/10/2024 at 11:42 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

The monetization is SO much worse this year. I bought two packs with my match and challenge winnings, one from each of the 2 types available right now. I got a green Nash from the Legends set, which was cool because I needed a powerhouse. The Heat pack gave me a green Corbin, which would have been awesome if i hadn't bought a Corbin with the same overall rating with my first batch of token rewards literally 15 minutes before. As for basic v deluxe: the Deluxe packs give you a higher percentage chance of the "main" character card being better. If you press square on the item you're looking at, it'll tell you that you have a 100% chance of getting 1 character card and then the relative odds of having at least 1 of the other types, then if you press R2/RT it will show the odds for each rarity within that card type. I usually buy the Deluxe a couple times per set and then switch to regular, because if you just keep buying deluxe you're going to start getting duplicate cards that pay out in pitifully low numbers of Faction points.

In 22 and 23, I was able to enjoy this mode for months without spending any money. It feels like that's gonna be a lot harder this year. (It doesn't help that I picked Technician as the class for my starters, and while Nattie is progressing nicely toward her final form, Tyler Bate's submissions suck so hard that i may never even get his first level-up. Really wishing i had made literally any other choice)

I bought a pack from each series that's been released and it wasn't great but with initial packs having a Blair Davenport and a Grayson Waller that I was able to evolve from Emerald to Ruby has been a big help. On the men's side I got the Elite Cody and Dusty cards and the locker code for the Elite Cena so my men's lineup is decent right now. Women's side it ok with a Ruby Davenport, Ruby Becky and I got an Emerald Indi Hartwell from the token marketplace and the gold 2017 Bianca from the deluxe edition. And I have Sapphire free agent Karrion Kross and Dakota Kai cards if needed from the weekly towers. I'm trying to stick with strikers based on what's the easier playstyle with underpowered cards. That submission only tower was nasty though. I'd have to hit like 3 finishers then slap on a submission to have a chance.

With that said, I'm digging the Faction Wars, I just wish some of these cards you acquire during the runs you can keep. I picked up a Sapphire Trish and Eva and I'm like "Damn, these would be nice to have in the lineup."

I need to try out the other modes to get more cards eh?

1 hour ago, Ramo2653 said:

With that said, I'm digging the Faction Wars, I just wish some of these cards you acquire during the runs you can keep. I picked up a Sapphire Trish and Eva and I'm like "Damn, these would be nice to have in the lineup."

I need to try out the other modes to get more cards eh?

Winning the fantasy Rumble in Showcase gets you a bunch of Ruby and sapphire cards, other than that it's just Rise that has Faction card rewards (and those are all the fictional rivals from this year and prior years). As for the boss cards in Faction War, once you've beaten the 4v4 at the end of a stage those cards unlock in the Faction Wars shop, and can be bought permanently with the unique points from that mode (not MFP). Emerald are 3k, Sapphire 4 and Ruby 5. I've got enough to get a Ruby but am waiting to see how the run I'm in the middle of shakes out before I buy something that may not end up what I want.

Did the five bonus chars from the 40 Years pack unlock at launch or are they coming with the WM40 arena after Mania? Now that I've gotten all the Showcase stuff that buying that version unlocks I'm tempted to spring the extra $20 next paycheck but don't want to if I'm buying nothing today.