DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Sad to report that Dr. John has passed, joining Leon Redbone for a gig at the pearly gates. The world has just become a bit less funky and cool, Mac Rebbenack was New Orleans. We will not see his like again anytime soon. I count myself fortunate that I was able to see him tickle the ivories live many years ago at a small club. He was in town to play a big show and just happened to stop in a joint called Jazz Alley and did an impromptu set of half a dozen tunes and left. The forty or fifty of us in the club were just blown away.

Saw him live twice, including at the New Orleans House of Blues, which was very cool. RIP

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Never really listened to him aside from knowing he was a legend; he was awesome on Treme. RIP

Speaking of which, anywhere I should start with him? 

Start with Gris-Gris and follow the voodoo straight to hell.  My great regret is that Dr. John and Mr. Quintron never teamed up to record anything, it would have been epic New Orleans.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The world just got a little less cool of a place... Larry "The Mole" Taylor has passed at 77, you know him as the bass player for Canned Heat and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.

Edited by OSJ

• 3 weeks later...

"Right Here", Money's last point of top-40 relevance, came out when I was a very sappy 13 year old listening to the adutl contemporary station and watching a fuck ton of VH1, and I loved it.  I outgrew that record pretty quick, but found his real classics as I got older and started to dig into 70s and 80s rock.  Also one of the less-lame people with whom I share a birthday.

• Like 2

This one hurts as The Cars were a part of the soundtrack of my adolescence.  I'm just happy he lived to see himself and his band inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame before his passing since Ben Orr did not. 

RIP, Ric, and yes, the world feels a little less cool today.

Edited by J.T.

• 3 weeks later...