DVDVR Message Board

The Mass Effect thread

Goddamnit I didn't realize 1 was already backwards compatible. 

Now I have to go to the Gamestop on the other side of town to not embarrass myself by going back in to buy a THIRD game today,  

Just now, CSC said:

Goddamnit I didn't realize 1 was already backwards compatible. 

Now I have to go to the Gamestop on the other side of town to not embarrass myself by going back in to buy a THIRD game today,  

If there is one place on the planet you should never be embarrassed for being too big of a gamer, it is Gamestop.  It is probably the only good thing about their entire business.

Yea ... $10 more on the XBox store is worth not having to go out again today and deal with Gamestop twice.

I have zero faith I'm going to be able to finish 3 freaking games before whatever the release date ends up being, but here goes nothing.

To play it properly - you need to play the first two games at least twice (because of the maxing out character bonuses)

And we have all said this before but - PLAY AS FEMSHEP!!!

• Like 1

Okay - if you are going to do one playthrough

ME - ~30 hours

ME2 - ~35 hours

ME3 - ~35 hours

I am a completionists (Ie: Find everything, scan every planet, finish everyone's dialogue) - so mine was more

ME - ~45 hours

ME2 - ~55 hours

ME3 - ~60 hours

And I have no idea if you got the DLC or not

And why did you post this in the ME4 thread?

41 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To play it properly - you need to play the first two games at least twice (because of the maxing out character bonuses)

And we have all said this before but - PLAY AS FEMSHEP!!!

I like to Platinum my games because I'm insane.

Will I have Platinum'ed Mass Effect 1/2/3 by the time this is out?

edit: never mind, Rippa did the work for me already.  

I'm pretty sure I didn't get any DLC just the base games of each.  It really depends - some games I just blow through the story but clearly if I bought 3 old games just to be ready to play the 4th, I am going for as close to 100% completion as I can.  

Plus this is a great way to make $30 last 6 months, which after spending like $400 on tickets and $16 beers at the Rams game yesterday is good for the happiness of the household.  

5 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

No

But only because 1 is a bitch since you have to complete the game using every character.

So if I recall correctly - that is a minimum 3 playthroughs

AND you have to use all the powers

So you are dropping like 100 hours just on game 1

This might help with the realistic time frame better - http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/mass-effect/182049-mass-effect-trophy-guide-road-map.html

And I believe 2 and 3 require you to do the DLC to platinum

Mass Effect 3 has some achievements that you can complete either in multiplayer OR single player so that is nice if you dont want to play MP

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And I believe 2 and 3 require you to do the DLC to platinum

Mass Effect 3 has some achievements that you can complete either in multiplayer OR single player so that is nice if you dont want to play MP

No PS3 games require DLC for Platinums. But the DLCs are really good, and it's not really the full story without them. The prices of them vary over time on the PSN store though, so if you time it right, you can get them next to nothing (except the Cerberus pack from ME2, which is exclusive to people who bought the game first hand).

12 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Okay, so do I have to have ME2 & 3 digitally downloaded, or would my Xbox 360 copy work as well?

Your hard copies work.

Put them in your One and it downloads the necessary stuff from online to play it (I have done this for both Witcher 2 and something else that I am spacing on)

Like all other hard copies of games - you will need to keep it in your machine while you are playing

On 07/11/2016 at 8:24 PM, Andrew POE! said:

You literally have to be insane to Platinum Mass Effect games. The hardest difficulty level is called Insanity, and completing each game on it gets you a Gold trophy.

nb: You need to complete ME1 (at least) 3 times to Platinum it, because you have to complete it on Normal difficulty to unlock Hardcore, and then on Hardcore to unlock Insanity. ME 2 & 3 also need to be completed on Insanity to get the Plat, but it's not locked and you can do it on your first run through. It's tricky though.

But that's why I've got the Plats in 2 & 3 but not 1. That and the fact that there's trophies for completing the game with each squadmate being in your squad most of the time, which I didn't know on my first run and kept changing the team every time out, thus earning none of them. Also, if you're going for the Plat in ME1, ignore the 3 combination classes (Infiltrator, Vanguard and Sentinel) and only play as a Soldier, Engineer or Adept. There's trophies for spamming powers/ weapons that only those three classes have access to.

Definitely play them though. They're really good once you get into them.

1 minute ago, El Dragon said:

For the record, I never found Mass Effect that hard on Insanity, but I'm weird.

It isn't but I am not patient enough to tip toe through the story killing all enemies with a thousand cuts thanks to crazy ass shield and health capacity.

Man ... so much to do at the Citadel.  So much to investigate and so long to get through investigating everything from each person.  

At least I've finally figured out that I failed at decrypting everything so far cause I was just moving too slow.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have no doubt I will enjoy Mass Effect 2. But the process of installing the DLC for it I already own is the most EA-tastic bunch of nonsense ever on Steam.

Instead of just DL'ing the damn DLC directly, I have to register an EA account (I guess most of us have one by now), input a giant game key (which you can't copy and paste for NO REASON), then turn off your game, go to Bioware's website, log in, then DL and install 5 pieces of DLC manually.

Instead of, you know, just fucking installing them when I install the game through Steam?

Lordy. It's legit more convoluted than installing mods for Skyrim, as that actually had less steps. Pointless.