DVDVR Message Board

The Mass Effect thread

Not a fan of the Geth Juggernaut? I took one of those all the way from 1-20 just now. The Heavy Melee giving you shield recharge means you can walk to 50 melee kills easily while solo-ing.

Incidentally, has anyone ever got the Solo Mastery Achievement? Because I think it's impossible. Firstly, it's very rare you start a mission solo and nobody joins you along the way, and secondly how in the hell do you solo three golds or one platinum mission? Unless you've got some sort of infinite medi-gel, infinite Missile Launcher glitch going on or something, you're just going to get surrounded and eaten. Plus the bigs have melee insta-kills that are revive proof.

To Solo - create your own match and then set it to private. No one can join you then.

I soloed a couple of brozes but I never had the desire to go beyond that.

The biggest issue is how long they take. Granted there are folks around now who have it down to a science.

I am not sure how many people I saw who did it legit - A LOT of people used the infinite Missile Launcher glitch to get it

What RIPPA said.  You can make a private session by making matches no invite and then hosting.

I've got the medals for soloing Bronze and Silver matches.  Never tried to zerg through Gold and fuck Platinum even in open matches.  I have seen YouTube vids where players take like two hours to solo Platinum.  Screw that.  

Adepts, Engineers, and Sentinels are really popular choices for solo matches obviously because they are better crowd controllers than Soldiers, Vanguards, or Infiltrators.  N7 Paladin builds were all the rage for Solo runs thanks to Cold Snap and for some reason squish Drell Adepts were also popular.

14 hours ago, AxB said:

Not a fan of the Geth Juggernaut?

Destroyer builds are a lot less complicated than Juggie builds.   Once you turn on a Destroyer's powers, you just leave them on and keep firing while Juggies are expected to use Heavy Melee for crowd control and also tank.  I tend to sacrifice a point or two in the Geth Shield towards the Soldier skills so that my Juggie does max damage with Geth weapons and then I equip it with a Spitfire and walk around unleashing Hell.

And speaking of walking around, one of the reasons I gravitate towards N7 Destroyers is that the plodding walking speed and inability to climb ladders makes Juggies not so favorable in all situations.   Few things are worse than waiting for two Juggie players to make it to the hack zone from all the way across the map.  Depending on the match difficulty, by the time they get there you've usually died at least once.

The other reason is weight.  N7 Destroyers have once on powers so you don't have to worry about weapon weight while Juggies have to worry a little about weight depending on how they wat to spec the Pulse Blast and the Geth shield.

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You were playing with terrible Juggernauts then

I usually did.  I always ended up with the Juggernauts that insisted on making horrible weapon choices. 

Any player using a Krogan class with a sniper rifle equipped or using a Geth Juggernaut with a sniper rifle (especially the fucking Javelin) often ended up on The No Revive List.

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

Any player using a Krogan class with a sniper rifle equipped or using a Geth Juggernaut with a sniper rifle (especially the fucking Javelin) often ended up on The No Revive List.

If you could pick the make-up of thew whole squad, what four characters would you go with? And would one of them be a Volus Adept?

JT hates Volus' because he was never very good with them.

Meanwhile - I was a kamikaze Volus

And the Drell Adept thing is that people took it as a challenge to play as Drell at higher levels and it quickly because a dick waving contest of IF YOU SEE A BAD DRELL ON GOLD IT IS BECAUSE THE USER SUCKS!!!

Basically a whole lot - spam the fuck out of Reave and Cluster Grenades

And then wave your dick around I guess

This morning I ran into a guy who said he could do the infinite rocket glitch, and he said do a Platinum mission and take your lowest level character because you're getting shitload of XP just for surviving. So I took a level 1 Volus Adept and basically stood behind him spamming shield boost for eleven waves. It was easy.

Thought I'd try something now, so I deployed the Asari Vanguard, with the Disciple and the M-12 Locust, on Bronze. I felt like I was spending most waves looking for enemies that the tide of battle had washed away from me, but then at the end I'd top scored, 75 kills, 50 biotic kills, 25 shotgun kills, 10 assists. So apparently it's a bit of a beast character at that level. The only thing that messed me up at first was I kept thinking Stasis was Barrier, and using it when I was hurt.

Do Biotic Explosions count as a kill for both the person who set them up, and the person who knocked them down? Because it looked like I was getting a lot of them, even though I don't think Charge, Lift Grenade or Stasis trigger explosions other people have started.

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

JT hates Volus' because he was never very good with them.

Meanwhile - I was a kamikaze Volus

And the Drell Adept thing is that people took it as a challenge to play as Drell at higher levels and it quickly because a dick waving contest of IF YOU SEE A BAD DRELL ON GOLD IT IS BECAUSE THE USER SUCKS!!!

Basically a whole lot - spam the fuck out of Reave and Cluster Grenades

I was only good with the Volus Engineer and the Vanguard. I sucked with the rest, especially the Adept since I am not very good with Adepts in general.

My Volus Vanguard had a white uniform and his name was Que Bal. He was awesome.

Rippa now reminds me how much I hated Cluster Grenade spammers and Lift Grenade spammers.

Is the Javelin a useless weapon, or am I just using it wrong? You have to hold the trigger a second before it fires, and then the target moves and you miss. And when you look down the scope, 2/3 of the screen is taken up with scope sides and you've got a tiny zoomed in window to show what you're aiming at. Might as well no scope everything... although playing as a Geth Infiltrator (in Hunter mode) during the snowstorm might not have helped.

It's not a useless weapon if you know what you're doing, but you don't find too many Javelin experts out there.  I've never used the Javelin in Campaign mode because by the time I get to Rannoch, I've already got the Black Widow or am using the Indra as a quasi assault rifle.

In co-op, it is obvious that Geth characters will make the best use out of it especially if they max out the Networked AI tree to add bonus damage to Geth weapon use, but the Javelin is so fucking heavy that most self-respecting Engineers or Soldiers will spec up the Pulse Rifle in order to have rapid use of Overload and the Flamer respectively.

IMO, the only character that can efficiently use a Javelin is a Geth Infiltrator and even they are better off using the Pulse Rifle or the Plasma Shotgun in most cases. 

The weapon already gives you Geth Sight when using the scope and you already get that when you are in Hunter Mode, but there is more to the Hunter Mode perk than the lowlight vision.  It also helps with Movement Speed, Rate of Fire and Damage output which is key when lugging this dumb heavy rifle that takes forever to vent when you pop out the thermal clip. 

The only downside to extensive use of Hunter Mode is that some players the HUD symbols distracting and it can be a targeting detriment if you are on a map with a harsh weather effect.

The Javelin has one of the best cover penetration rates of any heavy sniper and the delayed fire is a minor thing to deal with because you are not going to be using this thing like a Viper or an Indra. 

You're going to sight down on a stationary enemy in cover and blow him a way with a precise headshot thanks to the enhanced scope that paints your target in that lovely neon red halo. 

You can still double tap and use the SR penetration mod and sacrifice a little damage for the ability to shoot through nearly anything, but then you are messing with your ability to do damage to armor unless you've specced Networked AI to compensate for the damage dropoff.

I think the best mods for the Javelin are the Lightweight materials (to give you at least a little more cooldown) and the extra thermal clip mod to compensate for the feast or famine nature of the weapon thanks to the slow ROF and low ammo count before thermal clip ejection is required..

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 10:32 PM, AxB said:

.Do Biotic Explosions count as a kill for both the person who set them up, and the person who knocked them down? Because it looked like I was getting a lot of them, even though I don't think Charge, Lift Grenade or Stasis trigger explosions other people have started.

IIRC, BEs only count for the detonator.  The primer only gets credit for an assist.   Yes, you can detonate someone else's primer because that is how it works in Campaign mode. 

Now you know why I hold particular contempt for Asari Vangards as they are the perfect killstealers for someone playing a pure Adept or a Biotic Sentinel.

Biotic Grenades that detonate Biotic primers should count as Grenade Kills but I am not certain as it has been ages since I last played ME3 co-op.

Every two months I look at my ME achievements and think wouldn't it be great to go back and get all of those Ally achievements?

And then I come back to my senses.

• Like 1

That's like how for awhile - the only achievement I needed in ME3 was to finish it on Insanity

Of course then the DLC came out and now I need all the fucking ones around the combat simulator and I gave up

I just think the Ally achievements are dumb because of my OCD.  I am dumb and like dramatic effect so I cannot resist taking Liara along to Noveria and Ilos and I start to feel bad if I haven't used a particular character for a long period of time, so I'll break out Garrus and Tali out for Virmire since they've been on the ship chillin' since Therum / Feros

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I just think the Ally achievements are dumb because of my OCD.  I am dumb and like dramatic effect so I cannot resist taking Liara along to Noveria and Ilos and I start to feel bad if I haven't used a particular character for a long period of time, so I'll break out Garrus and Tali out for Virmire since they've been on the ship chillin' since Therum / Feros.

Well the later is dumb

But I did 4 playthroughs and STILL haven't gotten all the ally ones. 

Of course I also didn't take the time and do things like throw Warp at the wall 75 times to get those various achievements.

God the Mass Effect achievements are dumb

I unlocked the Tech achievements thanks to my Infiltrator playthroughs. 

I didn't unlock any of the Biotic achievements because I suck at being a Biotic.

Stupid ME for not allowing NPC Biotic use to count.

All I need is 3 more successful extractions with the N7 Fury, and I get the Earth Mastery banner. Then I'm a few missions using the M-76 Revenant away from getting the Assault Rifles Mastery Banner as well. And I could grind for Outsider Mastery as well if I wanted.

28 minutes ago, AxB said:

All I need is 3 more successful extractions with the N7 Fury, and I get the Earth Mastery banner. Then I'm a few missions using the M-76 Revenant away from getting the Assault Rifles Mastery Banner as well. And I could grind for Outsider Mastery as well if I wanted.

The Revenant synergizes goes surprisingly well with most of the Batarian classes especially the Soldier if you spec Balistic Blades to double stagger and then just dump round after round at point blank range with your bullet hose. 

The Batarian Enforcer class perk tree also has a good mix of power damage and weapon damage perks that you can mix and match to your playstyle if you like to power spam or just blast away with a high RoF weapon.

You also cannot go wrong with using one with a Krogan Soldier or Sentinel but I am usually smashing things with my charge rather than using a weapon when I am rolling as a fatboy and when I do fire a shot in anger, it is usually with a shotgun so that I can blast the target at close range that I missed when my fucking charge whiffed because of shitty pathing.

Wait... you can complete these Mastery challenges more than once? I did not know that. So, if I go on to complete Biotic Mastery... you need 14 full bars to get the Banner, but there are 23 categories. So if you complete it with, for example, Explosions 1, 2 and 3, Throw, Pull, Singularity, Warp, Charge, Reave, Stasis, Dark Channel, Slash, Lash and Orbs, does that set your Annihilation Field, Smash and Nova progress back to zero? Or just the 14 you maxed?

God - it has been so long that now I am doubting myself but I am 99% sure only the ones you finished reset. Your progress remains on the rest.

And yes you do them over and over again - that is how people have such high challenge points scores (like mine is 51,815 - which has me at #845 is the US and #1360 in the world). That might need to go on my headstone.

Biotic and Tech Mastery are the easiest to repeat if you use a variety of characters. Like I have done Tech 12 times and Biotic 10.

The only ones I have never done are Map and Solo (and thus never finishing Mass Effect Mastery either)

Mine is 2555, which puts me in the top 5% in the world. My N7 is 1025, top 3%, but that's because of all the people with monster challenge points who never promoted once and are stuck on 120. And also the people who only played it once and their N7 rating is 7. I was in a game with one of those guys last night.

Well there is an entire mastery that is based just on promoting people so that is why I promoted the fuck out of everyone.

It is also why I never have to worry about getting the "best" ending in single player - because I have over 5000 war assests thanks to promoted people

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It is also why I never have to worry about getting the "best" ending in single player - because I have over 5000 war assests thanks to promoted people

Yep.  There was quite a bit of outrage from the I Don't Play Well With Others people about how folks who liked to participate in multiplayer were better suited to get the "best endings" thanks to the bump to their GR% that modified the value of campaign mode war assets.