DVDVR Message Board

Nintendo Switch

Kevin Wilson

I'm sayin' it's going to have a deal where the screen works in your hand and has like a steam link little thing that plugs in your tv.  Like the reverse of how the Wii U gamepad operates.  The thing they've shown it plugging into is just going to be a charging dock. 

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Kotaku pointed out that the logo is asymmetrical and I can't unsee it now

This is probably likely due to making sure everything is symmetrical or that my communications layouts are properly aligned, but I knew there was something uncomfortable about that logo.

11 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You can preorder it though right?

I imagine, but since it looks like they didn't make enough, pre-orders will probably fill in minutes. Because you have the people that want to own them, then the people that want to flip them, pre-orders for hot items don't last very long.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Kotaku pointed out that the logo is asymmetrical and I can't unsee it now

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

This is probably likely due to making sure everything is symmetrical or that my communications layouts are properly aligned, but I knew there was something uncomfortable about that logo.

Guys, guys. guys.  The position of the dots on the logo is not a "small quirk" as the article suggests.

Look at the logo and then look at the Switch itself..

The "dots" on the logo are in the same position / location as the thumbsticks on the "controller."

51 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am not saying it bothers me - just that I can't unsee it

I am just being old and grumpy because I think that David Hellman's tweet:

Did you notice the Switch logo is not symmetrical? Each side has a different apparent visual weight, so the logo is "balanced" by eye…

is completely stupid.

Of course I know the logo is asymmetrical, dummy, and it is not because of some diabolically clever and deliberate visual weight graphic design bullshit.

The logo looks like this.

thumb.png

because the Switch controller looks like this:

sqnlocmopaaocmeotndg.png

That is why the dots on the logo are not symmetrical..

And yeah, the real Nintendo news is that support for the Wii U is rapidly going the way of the dinosaur.

Somebody not long ago said that while it stinks Wii U support is pretty much non-existent, the upside is that if you wanted to mod it to play whatever game you want now's the time.  Same goes for 3DS.  But if you're sticking with Wii U and not messing with it like that then yeah you're boned.

Regarding Switch the asymmetrical button layout might take a bit of getting used to.  But at $250 that sounds very doable for us.  I'm really, really hoping to pre-order but knowing Nintendo they don't want us to have nice things.

They better let me preorder. Don't let me have time to think about it. the more time I have the less likely I pull the trigger. It comes down to the presentation though too. I need to see that game lineup and see how much 3rd party support this will have. 

Someone was saying to me today, that the games should always be there because now they are designing console/handhelds all in one.  I don't know, is this the successor to the 3DS?  It's interesting to think about. This being portable I mean if they are really allowing me to bring this to work, look out.

While I expect this to change, it is worth noting that Nintendo has been strangely mum on if that is in fact a touch screen.  I assume it is because there is no real reason for it to not be (plus a couple leaks have suggested it might be multi-touch), but I could also see a world where it doesn't have one simply to manufacture a reason for the 3DS to still exist.

I had more hopes for the Switch before the info came out about how much processing power it loses when undocked (i believe in the neighborhood of 40%).  This is both gonna result in a number of developers just aiming for that lower number rather than making sure the game works well at both levels and, once again, likely mean that there is just not gonna be much in the way of third party ports or perhaps even support.  There will still be Nintendo games on the thing which is the point, but my last few Nintendo hardware purchases have been near the tail-end of their lifespans because I need more than just Nintendo titles to buy it at above a discounted rate.

In better news though hopefully this finally results in the Wii U getting its price cut to a reasonable level.  A walking dead console selling for $250 still is just insane.

Since I have no video-game-creating knowledge, I have no idea how hard it would be to make a game have two different processor/graphic requirements. I mean PC games have multiple graphical settings, is it any different/much different for developers to do the same for the Switch (an actual question I don't know the answer to)? Since Skyrim, NBA 2K17 and a few others have already been confirmed I'd have to assume its not super difficult, at least not as difficult as it was for developers to make the Wii U Gamepad part of the experience. I guess we'll find out shortly.

14 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Somebody not long ago said that while it stinks Wii U support is pretty much non-existent, the upside is that if you wanted to mod it to play whatever game you want now's the time.  Same goes for 3DS.  But if you're sticking with Wii U and not messing with it like that then yeah you're boned..

Yeah, it's not the gentle nudge that PS3 and XB1 players got.  360 and PS3 players gradually found themselves getting left behind and upgraded to keep pace, but it looks like the Wii U players wholesale with either have to convert to Switch or be happy with the existing library and no support.

I would've got that Zelda game for wii u if it came out last year.  Now that it's on the new system I'd rather just get the new shit.  They need to have this Zelda game to have a Switch cartridge and a wii u download code.  That'd at least be tossin' a bone while leading fuckers to upgrade.  It'd lead to a bunch of code reselling but at least it's a damn bone.

Fire Emblem Warriors manages to simultaneously be the most interesting Musou game to me in half a decade or more (the first Fist of the North Star is the last one I bought) and the lamest reason for me to get interested in the Switch that still got my attention.  Let me play as Lyndis and you're halfway to making me bitch about not being able to get one on launch day.

So far we know 

$300 at launch.

Paid online service

Region free

2-6 hour battery life (depending on the game)

A new wii sports type game called 1-2 Switch.

A battle game called "Arms"

Open World Mario Game called Super Mario Odyssey (Winter 2017 is the ETA)

Skyrim coming to Switch

FIFA coming to Switch

Relying on press conferences is generally a bad gague of how well you'll like something. Unless Link came to life and like severed Suda51's head on stage, I'm not sure what else they had to offer besides more games. They're hedging their bets on the gimmick again.

Also the main games they showcased I think were targeted more towards Japanese fans, and also to showcase the 'new' stuff that the system could do. I mean SMT, Fire Emblem, and Mario Kart would have been bigger titles to show off for US fans than Arms and 1-2-Switch. The issue was more their theory on how to present it than an issue with the console itself.

I was hoping for a surprise like Monster Hunter or Pokemon, but besides that it was about what I expected. Zelda being a launch title I think is a really big deal since Mario isn't coming out until before Christmas and nothing else big seems to be planned for the first few months. Zelda will keep people busy though.

Nintendo is also going to start charging for online the same way Sony and Microsoft do, which isn't shocking as they were leaving money on the table by not charging for it. But it also looks like they are doing the 'one free game per month' thing which is exciting for me since I hardly played any Wii or Wii U games so it likely will be games I haven't played. Hopefully uh good games.

It has also been announced that Sonic Mania will be on the Switch, I think we knew that but it was confirmed anyway.

I await the new Mario Party 11 where everyone plays as Bowser and just repeatedly kills the other characters without even playing any actual game.