DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] AUGUST 2016 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

10 hours ago, Lacelle said:

Would Daniel Day Lewis be considered too old? Cause no one is better currently. Benicio Del Toro is a top contender as well. 

DDL is almost 60.  BDT is almost 50.

1 hour ago, Control said:

This is actually a pretty good list

BBC's 100 best films of the 21st century

They have a three-way tie for #100 so there are 102 movies on that list, and I've seen 69 of them, including 29 of the top 33.  Love that Spring Breakers is on there. They've got that note about "we believe that the new classics on this list are destined to become old classics," but it is still a little jarring seeing some of the 2015 movies on there rubbing shoulders with the acknowledged heavy hitters.  Like Brooklyn is a perfectly fine movie but I didn't think many people remembered it past awards season.

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Yeah, i was just going to let that sleeping dog lie. :)

Pedantic is my middle name. I am physically incapable of letting that stuff go. Great for my past life as a QA engineer for software, bad for friends on Facebook so misuse apostrophes. 

so, behind the times obviously, but finally caught Tarantino's The Hateful Eight. Really enjoyed it. He does such tremendous character work and (especially) dialogue. Don't see myself rewatching it anytime soon, but you never know.

the only film of his that i haven't enjoyed has been kill Bill. i keep thinking i need to revisit it, but i'm (still) holding out hope for a complete version, instead of two halves.

I just watched Marauders, thinking it would be a decent enough action flick with Batista, Bruce Willis and the guy who played Keller in Oz. But holy shit, did I come out disappointed. It's one of those movies that makes you think what state of diabolical inebriation the people who OKed this script must have been in. It starts out pretty decent, if wholly unoriginal, but the closer you get to the end, the more it unravels into deeper and deeper and deeper layers of shit. It stops just before it hits the magical point of 'so shit it's great'. Sweet baby Jesus.

On 8/18/2016 at 1:13 AM, Randy said:

Kate Winslet should be mentioned.

Naomi Watts is terrific too. Very versatile and has never given a bad performance.  She doesn't over-act, either. Which is crucial. 

Dear God, that look Diane gives to everyone at the dinner table at the end of Mulholland Drive....it's still haunting.

There's a reason she's still the biggest star Lynch ever made.  

I mean, Meryl Streep is a superb actress, but I always understood the point Katherine Hepburn made about her:

You can see the wheel turning when she acts. Simply put, she's good, but she's also trying too hard.

Claire Danes and Al Pacino might be a similar thing. 

Here's what I'm seeing at the Toronto Film Festival this year.  Rest assured I will be rolling around in movies like a pig in poop.

After Love
Berenice Bejo (The Artist) and Cedric Kahn star in the new film from Joachim Lafosse (The White Knights), about a separating couple whose battle over their stylish apartment reveals the complexities of their relationship and the depth of the rifts between them.

Apprentice
This slow-burning psychological drama set in a Singaporean prison is told from the point of view of a young correctional officer who becomes morbidly fascinated with the region's top executioner.

Arrival
Visionary Quebecois auteur Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario) directs Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker in this sci-fi drama about the panic that follows a wave of mysterious spacecraft landings across the globe.

The Belko Experiment
Office politics turns into a real-life survival of the fittest when a group of co-workers are forced into a sick game of kill or be killed by sinister forces who lock down their building, in this gruesomely funny horror thriller from director Greg McLean (Wolf Creek) and writer James Gunn (Slither, Guardians of the Galaxy).

Brain On Fire
A New York Post journalist (Chloe Grace Moretz) suffering from a rare autoimmune disorder is repeatedly misdiagnosed following a series of violent outbursts and severe amnesia, in Gerard Barrett's adaptation of Susannah Cahalan's bestselling memoir, Brain On Fire: My Month of Madness.

Christine
Antonio Campos (Afterschool, Simon Killer) directs this chilling character study of real-life Florida newscaster Christine Chubbuck (Rebecca Hall), narrating the events before she committed suicide on live television in 1974.

Colossal
A going-nowhere party girl (Anne Hathaway) discovers a mysterious connection between herself and a giant monster wreaking havoc on the other side of the globe.

The Fixer
A headline-grabbing sex scandal gives a Romanian trainee at a French news network an opportunity for his big break, in this charged moral drama from Romanian director Adrian Sitaru.

Gringo: The Dangerous Life of John McAfee
Oscar-nominated filmmaker Nanette Burstein (On The Ropes, The Kid Stays in the Picture) delves into the strange story of John McAfee, who went from millionaire software mogul to yogi, Kurtz-like jungle recluse to potential murderer, and most recently a prospective presidential candidate for the American Libertarian Party.

Guilty Men
A town leader in rural Colombia plays a risky game with the local right-wing paramilitaries with a cache of cash at stake, in this gripping crime story about ordinary people caught in a situation that rapidly slips out of their control.

Headshot
The indomitable Iko Uwais (The Raid) stars in this fast and furious actioner as an amnesiac whose mysterious past as a killing machine comes to the fore when he takes on the henchmen of a vengeful drug lord.

I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House
A naive young nurse caring for an aging, reclusive horror novelist beings to believe that her patient's new novel contains ominous clues about her own fate, in the new film from director Osgood Perkins (February).

The Net
In the new film from provocative Korean auteur Kim Ki-duk (Pieta), a poor North Korean fisherman finds himself an accidental defector, and is groomed to be a spy by an ambitious South Korean military officer.

Nocturnal Animals
Amy Adams, Jake Gyllenhaal and Armie Hammer headline the second feature from director Tom Ford (A Single Man), about a woman who is forced to confront the demons of her past as she is drawn into the world of a thriller novel written by her ex-husband.

Okafor's Law
A slick serial seducer bets his friends that he can bed three old flames in six weeks, in this risqué comedy from the director of the Nigerian smash hit Wives On Strike.

Prevenge
Alice Lowe (Sightseers) is a triple threat as the writer, director and star of this pitch-black comedy about a pregnant woman whose unborn child psychically spurs her on to murder.

Pyromaniac
Norwegian director Erik Skjoldbjaerg (Insomnia) returns with this slow-burning psychological study about a young arsonist terrorizing a rural community.

Tramps
A young man and woman find love in an unlikely place while carrying out a shady deal, in this charming romantic adventure from writer-director Adam Leon.

The Untamed
Cannes prize-winning director Amat Escalante (Heli) combines family drama and social commentary with science fiction and horror in this hypnotic and utterly enthralling tale, about an unhappily married couple whose life is turned upside down when they encounter a mysterious creature that is both a source of pleasure and a force of destruction.

• Like 1

Headshot sounds right up my alley and I have heard good shit about The Untamed and I Am The Pretty Thing.

I am morbidly intrigued by Christine as it is the second documentary about Chubbuck released this year.  Why the newfound interest in something so gruesome?

The answer to my question is probably "the internet" since the footage of her suicide seems to be the Holy Grail for all of the death hags out there.

From Wiki:

The footage of Chubbuck's death has not been seen since its initial airing. Numerous theories on what happened to the footage have come to light. One is that the station owner Robert Nelson kept it, and it is in the possession of his widowed wife, Mollie. Another theory is that Chubbuck's family brought an injunction to prevent the release of the 2" quad videotape of her suicide, the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office seized the tape and released it to the Chubbucks, but her family states that they do not have it. There have been people who claimed to have seen it, but none have any proof.[22]

It was confirmed in June 2016 that the footage of Chubbuck's death exists. Mollie Nelson stated that her deceased husband kept a copy of the video, which she has handed over to a "very large law firm" for safekeeping. She has no plans on making it publicly available.[23]

Speaking of televised suicides, has anybody seen the doc Honest Man: The Life of R. Budd Dwyer? I'd like to see that, considering my old band Augmentor used footage of him warning people while holding the gun for our demo's coverart. 

Yeah, watched the trailer. Back when we put the cover on the demo I just loved the photo and wanted a picture of a politician about to commit suicide. Now that I read into it more and realize he was railroaded I feel a little remorseful. But hey, for a hardcore punk album cover, it comes off fantastic...

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, watched the trailer. Back when we put the cover on the demo I just loved the photo and wanted a picture of a politician about to commit suicide. Now that I read into it more and realize he was railroaded I feel a little remorseful. But hey, for a hardcore punk album cover, it comes off fantastic...

That and the alleged inspiration for the Filter track, Hey, Man. Nice Shot.