DVDVR Message Board

2015 NCAAF - WEEK 2

Dolfan in NYC

Michigan State has your classic inferiority complex when it comes to Michigan. See also: Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Auburn and N.C. State.

I have a good friend who went there so I sometimes get a glimpse into the "rivalry" when he posts this crap over and over again during football season. They also insist on calling them "little sister."

For college sports, I am just an observer with no rooting interest but I'm a diehard Boston pro sports fan. I rarely (if ever) take shots at the Yankees, Jets, Lakers or Habs via Facebook. Trash talking is something you do in person, at the stadium or with your friends who root for the other side. College sports fandom seems like a weird animal. 

Michigan State definitely deals with the idea that, even after winning 7 of the last 8, they are still seen as little brother. And that Michigan is much much more concerned with Ohio. And, honestly, even with the series off right now, a lot of Michigan fans see Notre Dame on at least the same level as Sparty.

But Michigan does desperately need to beat Michigan State some.

Michigan State definitely deals with the idea that, even after winning 7 of the last 8, they are still seen as little brother. And that Michigan is much much more concerned with Ohio. And, honestly, even with the series off right now, a lot of Michigan fans see Notre Dame on at least the same level as Sparty.

But Michigan does desperately need to beat Michigan State some.

But isn't that always going to happen? Michigan is the older school, they have the longer lineage, more championships, more wins and are just more well regarded in general. They're stuck with the little brother tag and no amount of clever graphics and jabs will ever change that. Having a fanbase obsessed with attacking Michigan just adds to them being a jealous little brother. 

Good win for Michigan.

Turning point: Oregon State punts late in the 2nd quarter, buries Michigan on their own 2. Buuuuuut... there's a flag. The Beavers have to punt again. Second time, the long snapper air mails the punter, causing a loss of 48 yards. Michigan takes over on the 3 - an improvement of 95 yards thanks to penalty and snap - and punches it in. Instead of 10-7, Michigan went up 17-7 and never looked back.