DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] WWE NOMINATIONS

RIPPA

Bryan's case for inclusion.

March 4 Raw vs Batista. Batista's best singles match in this run.

March 11 Raw w/Big Show vs Orton/Batista. This was also the night of Occupy Raw.

April 6 Wrestlemania vs HHH.

April 6 Wrestlemania vs Orton vs Batista.

December 29 Raw, the best fake retirement speech since Mark Henry.

February 2 Raw vs Seth Rollins.

February 6 Smackdown vs Seth Rollins & J&J Security.

February 9 Raw, w/Roman Reigns vs Rollins/Kane/Big Show/Noble/Mercury

February 12 Smackdown tag team turmoil w/Roman Reigns vs Miz/Mizdow vs Los Matadores vs The Usos vs Slater Gator vs The Ascension vs Kane & Big Show

February 16 Raw post-match brawl vs Roman Reigns

Leaving aside that you think there are 10 months between April and December, how many people in the WWE, if you pulled in their top 10 matches/segments of the year, would get even five things in a combined top 10 with their list and Bryan's?

Be prepared to back this up.

Yeah, that's an utterly ridiculous statement.  Bryan's not the goddamn messiah.  He had at least 8 months no matches.  Outside of the Mania stuff, I don't even need to go outside of NXT to find guys with better years than Bryan outside of Mania, especially combined.

People if I pulled their years in WWE/NXT with a combined better workload than that Bryan list:

Cena, Zayn, Neville, Harper, Ziggler, Rollins, Balor, Itami, Breeze, and that's not even trying.

Don't get me wrong.  I really like Bryan.  But Bryan fans are fucking turning me on him. 

There are 10 months from the last match from 2014 on Cristobal's list to his first match back this year.

Not that I'm supporting Raziel's case or anything, because I don't.

He had other matches both in April and in January. I just didn't think any of them were good enough to put on the list.

Yeah, that's an utterly ridiculous statement.  Bryan's not the goddamn messiah.  He had at least 8 months no matches.

And the 4 months he had matches in were still better than most guys had in 12. All guys? No. I'm not making a case for him winning. This is the case for him being in the tournament.

Cena, Zayn, Neville, Harper, Ziggler, Rollins, Balor, Itami, Breeze, and that's not even trying.

I'd dispute Ziggler having 5 things all year that makes that list, but fine, that's 9. You're saying the guy with the 10th best year in WWE+NXT doesn't deserve to make a top 64 list?

Don't get me wrong. I really like Bryan. But Bryan fans are fucking turning me on him.

Wah wah fucking wah. Lesnar and his 4 matches are going to be in. Part-timers have always gotten in if their quality for the time they worked justified it. Bryan's does.

I honestly wouldn't put anyone that sat over 3/4th of the year in the list, regardless of where they worked.  Not for a best of the year tournament.  It would kind of stand, that a best of the year should have people that actually worked for the gross majority of the year.

For Reference to my stance, I would (and will) argue against Brock in the list.

Also, while Okada and Nakamura are two of my absolute favorites, if they sat 8 months, I would argue against them too.

Bray Wyatt - No I don't think Bray is great in ring and the bloom is kind of off the character without Harper and Rowan being around.  I don't know that he has any matches during this period that will make anyone remember his Royal Rumble performance with Bryan or the Elimination Chamber six man.  He's just not the same guy anymore as much as I want him to be.  He totally needs a Family just like Raven needed the Flock, otherwise the character loses its gravitas. Think will make the field, won't go deep this year.   

People are going to argue that Ambrose/Wyatt Lumberjack is a great match of that type (I personally hated it; it seems kinda polarizing as a match) and I've heard people say that Ambrose/Wyatt Ambulance match on RAW is really good (I didn't enjoy it, but I typically don't like that stipulation). I think when Bray gets in, those are the matches that any supporters will hang their hats on.

Well, that and his sweet clothesline. 

Orton shouldn't get in because I can't remember a better-than-decent match that he had.

Personally, if the part-timer in question did staggeringly awesome stuff, I'm all for that person getting in. Brock Lesnar had what might be the best triple threat match in company history and the best extended squash of anyone in company history this year. That's enough for me. Those matches will be talked about for years and years and years in large part because of him. 

I honestly wouldn't put anyone that sat over 3/4th of the year in the list, regardless of where they worked. Not for a best of the year tournament. It would kind of stand, that a best of the year should have people that actually worked for the gross majority of the year.

For Reference to my stance, I would (and will) argue against Brock in the list.

Also, while Okada and Nakamura are two of my absolute favorites, if they sat 8 months, I would argue against them too.

Ok, can you just avoid numbers in your posts? Between 10 months from April to December and 8 months being over 3/4ths of the year, this is bringing out the pedantic dickhead in me and I'm trying not to be that guy.

Anyway, my point stands. When he's working, Bryan is one of the best in the world. I'd rather watch one of his matches then a whole year of Mizdow's, (a guy I like, BTW, and I'd make a case for him being in the tournament.) You basically punted the quality side of the equation twice, and are relying on an absolutist position with regards to quantity. You can stand that ground if you want, but even in a shorter year, Bryan's got enough quantity of high-quality work that his place in the tournament is justified.

Not even March yet and already at each other's throats. Awesome.

Tis the season!

For what it's worth, I can understand Bryan being in, but if the idea is part timers are a no and Orton isn't getting in, Bryan shouldn't either.

If February 2014 and that awesome series of pre-Elimination Chamber matches were included, I'd agree, but without that, his only real standout set of matches were the Mania main event and the Shield/Evolution 6-mans.

Honestly, I forgot the Shield/Evolution six-man tags. I can take or leave the other stuff you mentioned (well, I like the WM triple threat, but not because of anything Orton was doing in it), but those two six-mans were really good. I retract my earlier statement regarding Orton. 

Honestly, I forgot the Shield/Evolution six-man tags. I can take or leave the other stuff you mentioned (well, I like the WM triple threat, but not because of anything Orton was doing in it), but those two six-mans were really good. I retract my earlier statement regarding Orton.

Orton's big contribution to the Mania main event was to be the worker in that match when Bryan was out. Even before the table spot, there were a couple segments where Bryan was out on the floor selling. Afterward, there was a period where things went off-track because Orton hurt himself on the monitor, but he gutted it out and got back into the match long enough to bridge to Bryan's comeback.

The scouting report rolls on!  

I think overall, that the WWE had a down year so guys like Bryan and Brock who missed significant portions of the year can be put in without sacrificing important performers.  My count right now has 15 WWE guys going in (Tyson Kidd counted to that) which is pretty darn low.  Once in the tournament, the feelings on the guys that were around (Bray, Dolph, Ambrose) is pretty split which will make the "quality over quantity" people have a greater ability to move their guys forward.  The guys on the main roster with really good years is just so small.

J. Uso - Yes Great member of a tag team but doesn't do a lot to distinguish himself from his partner.  Seriously, I can't tell them apart years later and it makes me sad because I should be able to right?  Right?  Without the Shield or Wyatt Family, the Usos seem to be a ship without a rudder for most of the year and working with The Miz in handicapped matches didn't do them any favors.  Might be good for a round or two, didn't have the output to go deep.

Jack Swagger - No Not a bad year for Swagger really with the matches with Rusev being the highlight but still he doesn't look like he will ever recapture the promise he once had as ECW champion.  The transitions to the ankle lock are pretty good actually but the rest of his matches tend to be fast forward material.  Unlikely for inclusion.

John Cena - Yes John was maybe the most steady thing on the roster not named Seth Rollins.  I can't really see an argument to keep him out of the tournament.  Can youuuuuu?  Well I guess, it is kind of my job right?  </Chief Wiggum> Elite eight again before the Cena Wins LOL crowd bring him down again.

Kane - Emphatic No I don't hate Kane like some people who will contend he's never done nothing, but what a bad year for him.  Just no.  No.  Nooooo.

Kofi Kingston - No  I cannot remember a single thing Kofi Kingston did this year.  Like nothing comes to mind at all other than derailing Cesaro (for some reason) right off Cesaro joining Heyman.  Can't see making a spot for the guy since the board thinks he sucks ... mostly because he sucks.

Luke Harper - Yes Just had a great year despite not getting the push out of it he should have.  Might be this year's Cesaro who capitalizes on the opportunities he had despite not getting the main event push or character development.  He doesn't even have the 'only gets over due to face spots' argument that some have against Cesaro.  Just a great talent.  Could make anywhere from the Elite Eight to Final Four.  Just a great wrestler.

Matadors - No Carlito is more talented than this gimmick allows but he doesn't really fit in current WWE.  I can't remember the other one's name.  No going to be included.

Mark Henry - Dunno Like a lot of people, Mark had one great highlight and almost nothing else.  I can see an argument either way and I'm not leaning one way or the other.  Again, a down year for a DVDVR favorite.  I don't know.  I don't KNOWWW.  I would say he's likely for inclusion but he's in the same place Randy Orton is right now and Rippa is going to keep him out.

Miz - Yes Another surprising pick that I don't think people will agree with.  I think he really came on with the new gimmick and the feud with Dolph worked really well, the initial stuff with Mizdow (I won!  I won!  Reaction is priceless) and now picking on Damien just makes you want to punch him in the face.  That's heel work to me kids.  Likely will get passed over or kicked in the first round because the board hates Da Miz.

R-Truth - No Don't know why he's still around to be honest and can't point to anything he did this year that was worth watching.  Might be the guy I like the least on the roster.  Won't be included.

Roman Reigns - Yes Also a had a year chipped down due to injury.  Seems to be rounding back into form now after a rough start to the Shield breakup.  I think he's at least worthy of discussion in the tournament.  Backlash from the Royal Rumble will sink him quick despite people over pushing him last year which is going to be hilarious (for me).

Rusev - Yes Came on strong with good matches on a regular basis and outstanding limb selling when that isn't usually a strength of the larger fellows.  I really dug the flat affect when it came to putting on the Accolade and the agility the guy has and the commitment to the character.  Might bow out more early than his performance should get him.  I see him as undervalued.  Round of 32 or 16 depending on the draw.

Ryback - Yes More solid year than you might think.  Rybaxel was a lot of fun for me and Ryback's promos and little things are constantly charming.  Obviously has execution issues and works sloppy a lot.  But fuck it, he's the Big Guy.  First round exit.

Seth Rollins - Yes So good.  Probably had the best year in the main roster in ring but is only a middling promo (despite improvement) and his presentation needs something to make the all black gear pop a bit more.  But he totally proved he could hang with the top guys in the company and should be considered a top contender to the throne this year.  Yeah, I don't think the board will disagree with my assessment, I think he has a chance to make the finals.

Sin Cara - No Better than the last Sin Cara because he hasn't been crippled walking to the ring yet.  But probably the only case I can think of where his work in NXT works against his case because Jesus what a sloppy fuck who looks like he could not wait to get out of Full Sail.  He's dragging the Lucha Dragons down man.  Dragging them down.  Don't see a case for inclusion.

Got to get ready for work!  Later gators. 

Ok, we need to settle the WHO IS THE BETTER USO question, once and for all. Have them in a play-in, or in the first round. We'll have to watch a bunch of singles matches from Main Event.

Well that is Jae's fault for not clarifying it last year

Matadors - No Carlito is more talented than this gimmick allows but he doesn't really fit in current WWE. I can't remember the other one's name. No going to be included.

I don't think that's the only name you can't remember.

Primo!  I meant Primo!  Look there is a wall of text there man.  I can't be expected to ... damn it.

I think Bryan should be included but the only matches so far that you need to go out of your way to see are vs. HHH at Mania, vs. Orton/Batista at Mania and vs. Rollins on RAW. 

It's 3 pretty high end matches that are worked differently and I think that alone is enough to put him in but no way is he a Final Four guy.

Also, Orton should be included as well because he also has about 3 high end matches. The six mans with Evolution against The Shield and the triple threat at Mania.  It's crazy to say that Bryan is the sole reason the triple threat was good.  Batista and Orton both worked their asses off. 

If I was picking now - Lesnar would be on because he has "intangibles" that others don't.

And I'm not sure how you can argue "open ended criteria" when up until last year it was only guys who worked in the US.

But if I'm infuriating people then I need to add more rules. ONLY ONE PER FED!!!*

* - I'm not actually doing this but consider folks are touchy already, I probably should clarify

jor-el_288x288.jpg

I AM RIPPA! MASTER OF THE BOARD!

Also, Orton should be included as well because he also has about 3 high end matches. The six mans with Evolution against The Shield and the triple threat at Mania.  It's crazy to say that Bryan is the sole reason the triple threat was good.  Batista and Orton both worked their asses off. 

I didn't say that. I remember liking Batista's work in that triple threat. 

However, even on re-watch, most of the reason that I like that match so much personally is because of the anticipation for and emotional release from Bryan winning and celebrating.