DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: COLONEL DEBEERS

RIPPA

What was interesting is that is the only Debeers match (well I should specify Debeers gimmick) on Dailymotion.

Usually there are more since obviously the WWE could give two shits about checking for footage there.

But still

The AWA run is ultimately pretty disappointing. I like the Bockwinkel match a ton, sure. He's also really good in the six man that made the set, but in general, there just isn't much there. He's a guy that's better in my head than the footage would show. I like his Portland stuff as much as the next guy but he's the least guy in the Bock vs Martel/Piper tag, for instance.

Of all the military gimmicks out there, you pick Col. DeBeers???

You could've at least gone old school and followed Private Don Kernodle..

The Col. DeBeers gimmick was patently offensive which made it awesome.  

He was criminally underused and should've had at least one run with a major title in that fed.  They probably should've let him run with Slaughter's vanity title before Sarge left for WWE.

Ed Wiskoski should get a lot of love and credit for being the man who first used the Inverted fall-out facebuster as a finisher aka the Front Piledriver.

He will destroy Tommy Cairo with the movie at the 3:05-ish mark of this vid.

• 2 weeks later...

I can see why he was the one over guy in AWA who never got the call from New York. For what WWF was trying to do at the time, that gimmick was probably untouchable.

However, had THAT gimmick been in Louisiana in 1982 with JYD as a foil, the money drawn would have juuuuust offset the riot damage.

The Debeers/Snuka angle is one of the last great AWA angles. It was pretty brutal.

I mean unless you like BADD COMPANY EXPLODES a lot or something.

Funny you should mention Badd Company.  I am probably the only guy that remembers that like DeBeers, DDP was originally billed as being from South Africa.

Am I misremembering this, or did DeBeers have a match in the dying days of the AWA against Derrick Dukes with the stip that if Dukes lost, he'd get painted white?

No, you are not hallucinating.  IIRC, DeBeers made some sort of derogatory comment about Dukes needing to be painted white so he could be seen better, but the final match stip was that the loser of the match would either be painted yellow or just have a yellow streak painted down his back.

I don't think the match was ever televised.  The best wrestling angles are the offensive ones that push buttons, but some things you just don't do in the name of good taste.